Octave version 0.71 is now available for ftp from ftp.che.utexas.edu
in the directory /pub/octave. Compressed and gzipped tar files are
There have been a lot of changes in the way the files are organized,
so I'm not planning to make diffs this time.
With this release, Octave does not require a specially modified
version of gnuplot, so gnuplot sources are no longer distributed with
Octave. If you need a copy of gnuplot, its also available from
ftp.che.utexas.edu in the directory /pub/graphics.
Here's a summary of changes for version 0.71:
* Much improved plotting facility. With this release, Octave does
not require a specially modified version of gnuplot, so gnuplot
sources are no longer distributed with Octave. For a more
detailed description of the new plotting features, see the file
* New plotting commands:
plot -- 2D plots
semilogx -- 2D semilog plot with logscale on the x axis
semilogy -- 2D semilog plot with logscale on the y axis
loglog -- 2D log-log plot
mesh -- 3D mesh plot
meshdom -- create matrices for 3D plotting from two vectors
contour -- contour plots of 3D data
bar -- create bar graphs
stairs -- create stairstep plots
polar -- 2D plots from theta-R data
grid -- turn plot grid lines on or off
xlabel, ylabel -- place labels on the x and y axes of 2D plots
sombrero -- demonstrate 3D plotting
gplot -- 2D plot command with gnuplot-like syntax
gsplot -- 3D plot command with gnuplot-like syntax
set -- set plot options with gnuplot syntax
show -- show plot options with gnuplot syntax
closeplot -- close stream to gnuplot process
purge_tmp_files -- delete temporary files created by plot command
* Other new commands:
ls, dir -- print a directory listing
shell_cmd -- execute shell commands
keyboard -- get input from keyboard, useful for debugging
menu -- display a menu of options and ask for input
fft -- fast fourier transform
ifft -- inverse fast fourier transform
* Strings may be enclosed in either single or double quote
characters. Double quote characters are not special within single
quote strings, and single quotes are not special within double
* Command name completion now works for M-file names too.
* Better help and usage messages for many functions.
* Help is now available for functions defined in M-files. The first
block of comments is taken as the text of the help message.
* Numerous changes in preparation to support dynamic loading of
object files with dld.
* Bug fixes to make solving DAEs with dassl actually work.
* The command `save file' now saves all variables in the named file.
* If do_fortran_indexing is 'true', indexing a scalar with
[1,1,1,...] (n times) replicates its value n times. The
orientation of the resulting vector depends on the value of
* Things like [[1,2][3,4]] no longer cause core dumps, and invalid
input like [1,2;3,4,[5,6]] now produces a diagnositic message.
* The cd, save, and load commands now do tilde expansion.
* It's now possible to clear global variables and functions by name.
* Use of clear inside functions is now a parse error.
Please send bug reports, suggestions, and other comments to
John W. Eaton | 4.3BSD is not perfect. -- Leffler, et al. (1989).
[hidden email] |
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|