Octave- write to read-only recommended xlsx

Octave- write to read-only recommended xlsx

Dylan Blanset

Hi,

I’m writing into an existing xlsx using the xlswrite function. Everything is working fine except when I try to write to a file that is set to open as ‘read-only recommended’ (but is not password locked). Whe I try, xlswrite returns the value 1 for a successful write, but the document is not modified. Is there any known way to write to this file? I’m willing to let Octave disable the read-only recommended and re-enable it at the end of the script, but I haven’t found any way to do that either.

Using: Version 4.2.2, Windows 10, pkg io 2.4.10, pkg windows 1.2.4

Any advice (even a “nope, impossible”) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dylan

Re: Octave- write to read-only recommended xlsx

PhilipNienhuis
Dylan Blanset wrote

> I’m writing into an existing xlsx using the xlswrite function. Everything
> is working fine except when I try to write to a file that is set to open
> as
> ‘read-only recommended’ (but is not password locked). Whe I try, xlswrite
> returns the value 1 for a successful write, but the document is not
> modified. Is there any known way to write to this file? I’m willing to let
> Octave disable the read-only recommended and re-enable it at the end of
> the
> script, but I haven’t found any way to do that either.
>
> Using: Version 4.2.2, Windows 10, pkg io 2.4.10, pkg windows 1.2.4

Some more info is required.

What "interface" did you use? OCT? or COM? or one of the Java-based
interfaces?
As you mention "windows-1.2.4" I suppose the latter, so do you also have
Office (incl. Excel) installed?

(And there's the question: what would Matlab do in such a case?)

Philip