Page titles in generate_package_html

jbect
Hi Olaf,

generate_package_html contains several (four, actually) parts that look
like this:

title = getopt ("overview_title",  vpars);
footer = getopt ("overview_footer", vpars);

fprintf (fid, "%s\n", header);
fprintf (fid, "<h2 class=\"tbdesc\">%s</h2>\n\n", desc.name);

It seems to me that the "title" variable which is defined here is not
used at all.

Shouldn't we use this variable instead of hard coding the content of
<h2> </h2> ?

Also, shouldn't we use an <h1> tag instead of <h2>, since this is the
highest title level of the page ?

@++
Julien

Re: Page titles in generate_package_html

Olaf Till-2
On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 12:00:52PM +0200, Julien Bect wrote:

> Hi Olaf,
>
> generate_package_html contains several (four, actually) parts that look like
> this:
>

> title = getopt ("overview_title",  vpars);
> footer = getopt ("overview_footer", vpars);
>
> fprintf (fid, "%s\n", header);
> fprintf (fid, "<h2 class=\"tbdesc\">%s</h2>\n\n", desc.name);
>

> It seems to me that the "title" variable which is defined here is not used
> at all.
>
> Shouldn't we use this variable instead of hard coding the content of <h2>
> </h2> ?
This <h2> content happens not to be the same as that of the <title>
tag, for which the configurable information corresponding to "title"
is currently used (indirectly, within the "header" information). I'd
not like to change the <title> tag, since it may be used by search
engines. And currently neither I see a reason to change the <h2>
content. So, since they are not the same, we can't use "title" for the
<h2> content. Instead, the "title" variable can be deleted as
unused. If you see a reason for the <h2> content to be configurable,
we could introduce an additional configuration variable.

> Also, shouldn't we use an <h1> tag instead of <h2>, since this is the
> highest title level of the page ?

I don't know. It probably would require some re-organizing of the CSS
as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see a strong reason for this,
currently.

Olaf

Le 02/09/2017 à 15:28, Olaf Till a écrit :

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 12:00:52PM +0200, Julien Bect wrote:
>> Hi Olaf,
>>
>> generate_package_html contains several (four, actually) parts that look like
>> this:
>>

>> title = getopt ("overview_title",  vpars);
>> footer = getopt ("overview_footer", vpars);
>>
>> fprintf (fid, "%s\n", header);
>> fprintf (fid, "<h2 class=\"tbdesc\">%s</h2>\n\n", desc.name);
>>

>> It seems to me that the "title" variable which is defined here is not used
>> at all.
>>
>> Shouldn't we use this variable instead of hard coding the content of <h2>
>> </h2> ?
> This <h2> content happens not to be the same as that of the <title>
> tag, for which the configurable information corresponding to "title"
> is currently used (indirectly, within the "header" information). I'd
> not like to change the <title> tag, since it may be used by search
> engines. And currently neither I see a reason to change the <h2>
> content. So, since they are not the same, we can't use "title" for the
> <h2> content. Instead, the "title" variable can be deleted as
> unused. If you see a reason for the <h2> content to be configurable,
> we could introduce an additional configuration variable.

Ok, I can see now that title is not the same in general as the content
of the <h2> header.

But you still have for "title" variables in the generate_package_html
that appear to be unused.