Parfor

eschardt
Is it true that parfor is the same as for?
I don't get any speedup when i tell it the number of cores to use.  If there is no use for parfor, is there some other similar function that I could use?

Re: Parfor

Max Brister
On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM, eschardt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it true that parfor is the same as for?

Yes, parallizing the Octave interpreter has proven to be a difficult task.

> I don't get any speedup when i tell it the number of cores to use.  If there
> is no use for parfor, is there some other similar function that I could use?

There are some octave-forge packages that provide parallel support.
The general package has pararrayfun and parcellfun[1]. The openmpi_ext
package provides access to MPI from Octave[2].

[1] http://octave.sourceforge.net/general/overview.html#ParallelComputing
[2] http://octave.sourceforge.net/openmpi_ext/index.html

Max Brister