Please release RC1 to octave/unstable PPA

Please release RC1 to octave/unstable PPA

rasmusbergpalm
Hi. I'd be very interested in trying out 3.8-RC1.
I think it would make life a lot easier for me and others if it was on the octave/unstable PPA (https://launchpad.net/~octave/+archive/unstable)

Is this something that you plan to do?

Re: Please release RC1 to octave/unstable PPA

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On Sun, 2013-12-08 at 07:56 -0800, rasmusbergpalm wrote:
> Hi. I'd be very interested in trying out 3.8-RC1.
> I think it would make life a lot easier for me and others if it was on the
> octave/unstable PPA (https://launchpad.net/~octave/+archive/unstable)

Part of the point of having an RC is to see if people can build it
under various different configurations. Please try to build it
yourself.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Please release RC1 to octave/unstable PPA

rasmusbergpalm
Another part of the point of having a RC IMO is for people to use it and find various bugs.
Unfortunately I use Octave as part of a CI build and cannot build octave itself, but I can use a version from the PPA.
Also, by submitting it to the PPA you'll know whether it builds on the most common ubuntu distros which i guess is pretty interesting..

On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 01:06 -0800, rasmusbergpalm wrote:
> Unfortunately I use Octave as part of a CI build and cannot build
> octave itself, but I can use a version from the PPA.

Of course you can build Octave yourself. Building Octave on Ubuntu is
one of the easiest systems to build it on. Please attempt it.

You will need the following packages to compile Octave. Just apt-get
install them all:

    gfortran debhelper automake dh-autoreconf texinfo
    texlive-latex-base texlive-generic-recommended epstool transfig
    pstoedit libreadline-dev libncurses5-dev gperf libhdf5-serial-dev
    libblas-dev liblapack-dev gnuplot-nox libfftw3-dev texi2html less
    libpcre3-dev flex libglpk-dev libsuitesparse-dev gawk ghostscript
    libcurl4-gnutls-dev libqhull-dev desktop-file-utils libfltk1.3-dev
    libgl2ps-dev libgraphicsmagick++1-dev libftgl-dev
    libfontconfig1-dev libqrupdate-dev libarpack2-dev dh-exec
    libqt4-dev libqscintilla2-dev llvm-3.0-dev default-jdk dpkg-dev

Then it should be the usual

    ./configure --prefix=/opt/octave && make && sudo make install

or whatever other --prefix you want to install Octave to.

> Also, by submitting it to the PPA you'll know whether it builds on
> the most common ubuntu distros which i guess is pretty interesting..

We know it builds. We want to see our users attempt to build it and
see what problems they may have. Perhaps you've installed conflicting
packages that the Ubuntu autobuilders don't have, or perhaps you have
user-specific configurations that the autobuilders also don't have.

Thanks in advance,
- Jordi G. H.

Re: Please release RC1 to octave/unstable PPA

rasmusbergpalm
As I said, I'm using it as a part of a CI system, and I cannot execute arbitrary code on the nodes, so I cannot build it on those systems.
I'm trying to help you by testing a pre-built version, but I guess you are not interested.

Fwd: Please release RC1 to octave/unstable PPA

Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen
is it really necessry with gnuplot-nox? If I try to install that then
gnuplot-x11 wants to deinstall!

Also, the list says libsuitesparse-dev.  For me that does not work
under configuration, as it finally says
umfpack couldnt be found. But, if I replace that with
libsuitesparse-metis-dev, configure works!

Kjetil

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 01:06 -0800, rasmusbergpalm wrote:
>> Unfortunately I use Octave as part of a CI build and cannot build
>> octave itself, but I can use a version from the PPA.
>
> Of course you can build Octave yourself. Building Octave on Ubuntu is
> one of the easiest systems to build it on. Please attempt it.
>
> You will need the following packages to compile Octave. Just apt-get
> install them all:
>
>     gfortran debhelper automake dh-autoreconf texinfo
>     texlive-latex-base texlive-generic-recommended epstool transfig
>     pstoedit libreadline-dev libncurses5-dev gperf libhdf5-serial-dev
>     libblas-dev liblapack-dev gnuplot-nox libfftw3-dev texi2html less
>     libpcre3-dev flex libglpk-dev libsuitesparse-dev gawk ghostscript
>     libcurl4-gnutls-dev libqhull-dev desktop-file-utils libfltk1.3-dev
>     libgl2ps-dev libgraphicsmagick++1-dev libftgl-dev
>     libfontconfig1-dev libqrupdate-dev libarpack2-dev dh-exec
>     libqt4-dev libqscintilla2-dev llvm-3.0-dev default-jdk dpkg-dev
>
> Then it should be the usual
>
>     ./configure --prefix=/opt/octave && make && sudo make install
>
> or whatever other --prefix you want to install Octave to.
>
>> Also, by submitting it to the PPA you'll know whether it builds on
>> the most common ubuntu distros which i guess is pretty interesting..
>
> We know it builds. We want to see our users attempt to build it and
> see what problems they may have. Perhaps you've installed conflicting
> packages that the Ubuntu autobuilders don't have, or perhaps you have
> user-specific configurations that the autobuilders also don't have.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> - Jordi G. H.

Re: Fwd: Please release RC1 to octave/unstable PPA

Mike Miller
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 06:25:09 -0500, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> is it really necessry with gnuplot-nox? If I try to install that then
> gnuplot-x11 wants to deinstall!

The gnuplot-nox is a minimal requirement, if you want to use gnuplot-x11
or gnuplot-qt they will also work.

> Also, the list says libsuitesparse-dev.  For me that does not work
> under configuration, as it finally says
> umfpack couldnt be found. But, if I replace that with
> libsuitesparse-metis-dev, configure works!

Yes, libsuitesparse-dev should work, and does work for me. The
suitesparse-metis package has non-free distribution terms. Feel free to
report a bug on our bug tracker, or just send me your config.log file,
to diagnose the problem with suitesparse and your configuration.

Re: Fwd: Please release RC1 to octave/unstable PPA

Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen
Will do as you ask, but will take some time, since I will have to
reconfigure first....
But I am not sure what you say about licences is true any more:
This page:  http://glaros.dtc.umn.edu/gkhome/metis/metis/faq
says:

Can I distribute METIS with my application?

METIS as of 5.0.3 is being distributed under the Apache License Version 2.0.

which is GPL-3 compatible.

Kjetil

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 06:25:09 -0500, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
>> is it really necessry with gnuplot-nox? If I try to install that then
>> gnuplot-x11 wants to deinstall!
>
> The gnuplot-nox is a minimal requirement, if you want to use gnuplot-x11
> or gnuplot-qt they will also work.
>
>> Also, the list says libsuitesparse-dev.  For me that does not work
>> under configuration, as it finally says
>> umfpack couldnt be found. But, if I replace that with
>> libsuitesparse-metis-dev, configure works!
>
> Yes, libsuitesparse-dev should work, and does work for me. The
> suitesparse-metis package has non-free distribution terms. Feel free to
> report a bug on our bug tracker, or just send me your config.log file,
> to diagnose the problem with suitesparse and your configuration.
>
> --
> mike

Re: Please release RC1 to octave/unstable PPA

lukshuntim
On Monday, December 09, 2013 10:44 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 01:06 -0800, rasmusbergpalm wrote:
>> Unfortunately I use Octave as part of a CI build and cannot build
>> octave itself, but I can use a version from the PPA.
>
> Of course you can build Octave yourself. Building Octave on Ubuntu is
> one of the easiest systems to build it on. Please attempt it.
>
> You will need the following packages to compile Octave. Just apt-get
> install them all:
>
>      gfortran debhelper automake dh-autoreconf texinfo
>      texlive-latex-base texlive-generic-recommended epstool transfig
>      pstoedit libreadline-dev libncurses5-dev gperf libhdf5-serial-dev
>      libblas-dev liblapack-dev gnuplot-nox libfftw3-dev texi2html less
>      libpcre3-dev flex libglpk-dev libsuitesparse-dev gawk ghostscript
>      libcurl4-gnutls-dev libqhull-dev desktop-file-utils libfltk1.3-dev
>      libgl2ps-dev libgraphicsmagick++1-dev libftgl-dev
>      libfontconfig1-dev libqrupdate-dev libarpack2-dev dh-exec
>      libqt4-dev libqscintilla2-dev llvm-3.0-dev default-jdk dpkg-dev
>
> Then it should be the usual
>
>      ./configure --prefix=/opt/octave && make && sudo make install
>
> or whatever other --prefix you want to install Octave to.
>
>> Also, by submitting it to the PPA you'll know whether it builds on
>> the most common ubuntu distros which i guess is pretty interesting..
>
> We know it builds. We want to see our users attempt to build it and
> see what problems they may have. Perhaps you've installed conflicting
> packages that the Ubuntu autobuilders don't have, or perhaps you have
> user-specific configurations that the autobuilders also don't have.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> - Jordi G. H.

There's good news here.

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-octave-devel/2013-December/010385.html

Regards,
ST

Re: Fwd: Please release RC1 to octave/unstable PPA

Mike Miller
[Please try to avoid top-posting on this list.]

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 14:41:26 +0100, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> Will do as you ask, but will take some time, since I will have to
> reconfigure first....

You only have to run the configure step to see whether the suitesparse
components including umfpack are detected correctly, right?

> But I am not sure what you say about licences is true any more:
> This page:  http://glaros.dtc.umn.edu/gkhome/metis/metis/faq
> says:
>
> Can I distribute METIS with my application?
>
> METIS as of 5.0.3 is being distributed under the Apache License Version 2.0.
>
> which is GPL-3 compatible.

The suitesparse-metis package in the Debian and Ubuntu archives is
currently built against the parmetis library, which has restrictions
on its use making it not free for all users.