Plot not working on macOS High Sierra

Logon E-mail
I used Octave 4.0.3 through December 2017 without much difficulty.  Running under macOS 10.13.

I just tried to run again and it crashed whenever I attempt to use plot.  Even a simple program such as:

x = -10:0.1:10;
plot (x, sin (x));

crashes.

I reinstalled Octave but it made no difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Bernard

Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Re: Plot not working on macOS High Sierra

Andreas Weber-6
Am 11.02.2018 um 02:24 schrieb Logon E-mail:
> I used Octave 4.0.3 through December 2017 without much difficulty.  Running under macOS 10.13.
> I just tried to run again and it crashed whenever I attempt to use plot.  Even a simple program such as:
> crashes.

Do you see some message? Can you try to run in a terminal and see if you
get a message there? Does this happen if you run the GUI and/or the CLI?

> I reinstalled Octave but it made no difference.

How have you installed octave (please include link to
download/instruction)? Some sort of binary package or via fink,
macports, homebrew?

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, include much more information about your environment (see above)

-- Andy

Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Re: Plot not working on macOS High Sierra

Andreas Weber-6
Hi Bernard, please keep the mailinglist in CC

Am 11.02.2018 um 15:20 schrieb Logon E-mail:
> Thank you for replying.  The problem appears to have been resolved.
>
> I suspect that it was caused by the installation of an OS update in January.  This causes Octave to re-process the font library (or something similar).  This takes a long time and while it is happening the program looks to be unresponsive as far as the OS is concerned.
>
> I just did two things: (1) I ran Octave in a different user on my iMac and it worked, (2) I re-ran on the main user and let it remain in “unresponsive” status for longer and then it ran correctly.
>
> Patience is a virtue.

This sounds like the fontconfig cache was been rebuilt. This is a known
problem on Windows and the first time I've heard from it on Mac.

-- Andy

Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Re: Plot not working on macOS High Sierra

Sebastian Schöps
Andreas Weber-6 wrote
> This sounds like the fontconfig cache was been rebuilt. This is a known
> problem on Windows and the first time I've heard from it on Mac.

Yes, I can confirm that updates requite the fontcache to be rebuild on macOS
and that this takes indeed some time.

@bernhard: however, you may consider to install a more recent version of
Octave. The version that you are using is quite outdated. Actually it
surprises me that it works at all on recent macOS.

Sebastian