Problem regarding building octave

Vaibhav Mathur
hi everyone,
I am Vaibhav and I am an undergrad 3rd year student in BITS-Pilani,India.I wish to contribute to the organisation but currently I am facing problem building gnu Octave ver-4.2.1 on my Mac OS -X 10.12.i have installed readline-7.2.0 but on configuring octave using command

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-shared

I am getting the following error:-

configure: WARNING: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later

configure: error: this is fatal unless you specify --disable-readline

It would be great if you could help me out with this problem.i went through the mailing list archive for similar problem

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2007-07/msg00078.html

but the error persists.i also tried removing the existing directories of readline and installing readline 7.2.0 again

Re: Problem regarding building octave

Richard Crozier

On 08/01/18 12:28, Vaibhav Mathur wrote:

> hi everyone,
> I am Vaibhav and I am an undergrad 3rd year student in
> BITS-Pilani,India.I wish to contribute to the organisation but currently
> I am facing problem building gnu Octave ver-4.2.1 on my Mac OS -X
> 10.12.i have installed readline-7.2.0 but on configuring octave using
> command
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-shared
>
> I am getting the following error:-
>
> configure: WARNING: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later
>
> configure: error: this is fatal unless you specify --disable-readline
>
> It would be great if you could help me out with this problem.i went
> through the mailing list archive for similar problem
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2007-07/msg00078.html
>
> but the error persists.i also tried removing the existing directories of
> readline and installing readline 7.2.0 again

Hi,

Maybe it's a silly question, but have you installed GNU Readline?

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Problem regarding building octave

bpabbott
On Jan 8, 2018, at 04:28, Vaibhav Mathur <[hidden email]> wrote:

hi everyone,
I am Vaibhav and I am an undergrad 3rd year student in BITS-Pilani,India.I wish to contribute to the organisation but currently I am facing problem building gnu Octave ver-4.2.1 on my Mac OS -X 10.12.i have installed readline-7.2.0 but on configuring octave using command
./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-shared
I am getting the following error:-
configure: WARNING: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later

configure: error: this is fatal unless you specify --disable-readline
It would be great if you could help me out with this problem.i went through the mailing list archive for similar problem
but the error persists.i also tried removing the existing directories of readline and installing readline 7.2.0 again

macOS uses BSD libedit, which shadows readline.as a result readline isn’t typically installed where it would interfere with libedit.

I suspect you need to add the readline  include-path to CPPFLAGS and the readline lib-path to LDFLAGS.

If you are using Homebrew, to install readline and the other dependencies, then ...

LDFLAGS=“$LDFLAGS  -L/usr/local/opt/readline/lib”
CPPFLAGS=”$CPPFLAGS -I/usr/local/opt/readline/include”
export LDFLAGS
export CPPFLAGS

... and then run configure.

If you’re not using Homebrew, have you considered doing so? Of the package managers available on macOS, Homebrew has the best support for Octave (at least at the present).

If you’d like to try Homebrew, let us know and we can help you set everything up. Coincidently, I starting working on this yesterday and am almost done.

Ben