Problem while installing the communications package.

Problem while installing the communications package.

CactusLord
So today I installed my new linux distro, and with that all the programs I
need to do uni work. So I installed octave with the (I guess most updated
version) and installed the control and signal packages without any major
issues. But when I tried to install the communications package (which is
absolutely vital for my projects) I got this in the console:

pkg: error running `make' for the communications package.
error: called from
    configure_make at line 99 column 9
    install at line 184 column 7
    pkg at line 437 column 9

Is it a problem of the current octave build? Should i go back to an earlier
version to fix this? If so how do I do it? I'm new to linux and still
learning a lot.

Thanks in advance

Re: Problem while installing the communications package.

marco atzeri-2
Am 08.10.2018 um 21:49 schrieb CactusLord:

> So today I installed my new linux distro, and with that all the programs I
> need to do uni work. So I installed octave with the (I guess most updated
> version) and installed the control and signal packages without any major
> issues. But when I tried to install the communications package (which is
> absolutely vital for my projects) I got this in the console:
>
> pkg: error running `make' for the communications package.
> error: called from
>      configure_make at line 99 column 9
>      install at line 184 column 7
>      pkg at line 437 column 9
>
> Is it a problem of the current octave build? Should i go back to an earlier
> version to fix this? If so how do I do it? I'm new to linux and still
> learning a lot.
>
> Thanks in advance

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46521https://savannah.gnu.org/support/download.php?file_id=44095

---

Re: Problem while installing the communications package.

CactusLord
So that links seems to be broken. But i guess it had the current patch to the
package, which i was trying to install atm. Which are the steps to apply it?
Sorry for my great ignorance of linux.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Problem while installing the communications package.

siko1056
On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 2:27 PM CactusLord <[hidden email]> wrote:
So that links seems to be broken. But i guess it had the current patch to the
package, which i was trying to install atm. Which are the steps to apply it?
Sorry for my great ignorance of linux.

Thanks in advance.

The links that Marco Atzeri sent you are:

To apply the patch [2] in Linux, download the latest version of the package

  $ tar -xf communications-1.2.1.tar.gz
  $ rm communications-1.2.1.tar.gz
  $ cd communications-1.2.1/
  $ patch -p1 < ../octave-4.4-all.patch
  $ cd ..
  $ tar -zcf communications-1.2.1.tar.gz communications-1.2.1
  $ rm -R communications-1.2.1

Then from within Octave:

  >> pkg install communications-1.2.1.tar.gz

HTH,
Kai

Re: Problem while installing the communications package.

Leloup
Bonjour Super Kai,

      I encountered the same problem.  But by applying the proposed
solution, I managed to install and load the communications module.  It runs.

     Thank you for your help.

Leloup

Re: Problem while installing the communications package.

CactusLord
I still get compilation errors.
The text i get while trying to install the package is the following:

/make: *** [Makefile:45: gf.o] Error 1
make: Entering directory '/tmp/oct-IzMWKf/communications-1.2.1/src'
/app/bin/mkoctfile-4.4.1 -DGALOIS_DISP_PRIVATES __errcore__.cc -o
__errcore__.oct
/app/bin/mkoctfile-4.4.1 -DGALOIS_DISP_PRIVATES __gfweight__.cc -o
__gfweight__.oct
/app/bin/mkoctfile-4.4.1 -DGALOIS_DISP_PRIVATES cyclgen.cc -o cyclgen.oct
/app/bin/mkoctfile-4.4.1 -DGALOIS_DISP_PRIVATES cyclpoly.cc -o cyclpoly.oct
/app/bin/mkoctfile-4.4.1 -DGALOIS_DISP_PRIVATES genqamdemod.cc -o
genqamdemod.oct
/app/bin/mkoctfile-4.4.1 -DGALOIS_DISP_PRIVATES -c galois-def.cc -o
galois-def.o
/app/bin/mkoctfile-4.4.1 -DGALOIS_DISP_PRIVATES -c galois.cc -o galois.o
/app/bin/mkoctfile-4.4.1 -DGALOIS_DISP_PRIVATES -c galoisfield.cc -o
galoisfield.o
/app/bin/mkoctfile-4.4.1 -DGALOIS_DISP_PRIVATES -c gf.cc -o gf.o
make: Leaving directory '/tmp/oct-IzMWKf/communications-1.2.1/src'

pkg: error running `make' for the communications package.
error: called from
    configure_make at line 99 column 9
    install at line 184 column 7
    pkg at line 437 column 9/

I tried it like three times but the problem seems to be the same. Idk if i'm
getting any of the steps wrong.
Thanks for your help and patience.

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 7:43 PM CactusLord <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I am afraid, that the output you provided does not contain the root of the errors.  Can you upload the full output from "pkg install" on to some location like https://pastebin.com/ or alike?

Best,
Kai

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 7:52 PM Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 7:43 PM CactusLord <[hidden email]> wrote:
I still get compilation errors.

I am afraid, that the output you provided does not contain the root of the errors.  Can you upload the full output from "pkg install" on to some location like https://pastebin.com/ or alike?

Best,
Kai

The steps described by me earlier are not recommended (if it already worked, then there is no need to take action).  See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?46521#comment10 for a more reliable way of installing the communications package for Octave 4.4.1 and above.

HTH,
Kai

Re: Problem while installing the communications package.

CactusLord
So that's the whole output of the command, hope it helps.
 https://pastebin.com/TFYC0MQY

Re: Problem while installing the communications package.

CactusLord
And regarding the other method, i got errors again, seems to be something
missing in order to compile properly, but don't know what it exactly is:
/l
luis@luis-HP-255-G5-Notebook-PC ~/Descargas $ hg clone
http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/communications octave-communications
requesting all changes
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 426 changesets with 2566 changes to 289 files
updating to branch default
152 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved
luis@luis-HP-255-G5-Notebook-PC ~/Descargas $ cd octave-communications/
luis@luis-HP-255-G5-Notebook-PC ~/Descargas/octave-communications $ hg patch
../octave-4.4-all.patch
applying ../octave-4.4-all.patch
luis@luis-HP-255-G5-Notebook-PC ~/Descargas/octave-communications $ make all
cd src && autoconf -Wall
/bin/sh: 1: autoconf: not found
make: *** [all] Error 127

/

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 10:27 PM CactusLord <[hidden email]> wrote:
And regarding the other method, i got errors again, seems to be something
missing in order to compile properly, but don't know what it exactly is:

[snip]
$ make all
cd src && autoconf -Wall
/bin/sh: 1: autoconf: not found

Solution:  sudo apt-get install autoconf

And for other libraries try similarly with the respective missing tools.  This was my assertion in the bug report, that many tools are required what might require some effort in the beginning.

HTH,
Kai

Re: Problem while installing the communications package.

Sergei Steshenko

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018, 11:48:07 AM GMT+3, Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 10:27 PM CactusLord <[hidden email]> wrote:
And regarding the other method, i got errors again, seems to be something
missing in order to compile properly, but don't know what it exactly is:

[snip]
$ make all

cd src && autoconf -Wall
/bin/sh: 1: autoconf: not found

Solution:  sudo apt-get install autoconf

And for other libraries try similarly with the respective missing tools.  This was my assertion in the bug report, that many tools are required what might require some effort in the beginning.

HTH,
Kai

"Solution:  sudo apt-get install autoconf" - sigh. This is not a solution, this is a workaround.

Octave packaging system is FUNDAMENTALLY broken. Several years ago I proposed to architecture the packaging system, but the developers neither accepted the proposal nor architectured the system themselves.

The fundamental problem with the packaging system is that it has never been spec'ed.

Even decades old GNU toolchain checks the tools needed to compile and make a target.

--Sergei.

Re: Problem while installing the communications package.

CactusLord
Sooo it took me a while of figuring out which compilers and tools I needed
for the whole instalation to work out. But in the end I managed to do it.
Thanks so much for your attention and help! You pretty much saved my life,
because working with matlab with my terrible computer was absolutely
unbeareble.

Thank you!!