Problems to use symbolic first time

Leo Baumann
Hello,

typing the command "syms x" I get following error:

 >> syms x
Der Befehl "python" ist entweder falsch geschrieben oder
konnte nicht gefunden werden.
OctSymPy v2.6.0: this is free software without warranty, see source.
Initializing communication with SymPy using a popen2() pipe.
error: Cannot run the Python executable "python"
     Python and SymPy are needed for most Symbolic features.
     Is Python installed?  Is your "path" configured correctly?
error: called from
     assert_have_python_and_sympy at line 24 column 5
     python_ipc_popen2 at line 78 column 5
     python_ipc_driver at line 59 column 13
     python_cmd at line 164 column 9
     valid_sym_assumptions at line 38 column 10
     assumptions at line 82 column 7
     syms at line 97 column 13

What have I to do to get it work?

thanks - Leo

Re: Problems to use symbolic first time

NJank

On Nov 4, 2017 10:32 AM, "Leo Baumann" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

typing the command "syms x" I get following error:

    Python and SymPy are needed for most Symbolic features.

As it says, you need both Python and SymPy installed for this to work. And octave needs to be able to find them. Do you have them installed? If not, what operating system are you running? There is a bundled version of the symbolic package available on Windows so you don't have to install the other programs if that is easier.

NickJ

Re: Problems to use symbolic first time

Leo Baumann
I have downloaded "symbolics" with "pkg install -forge symbolics" and
loaded with "pkg load symbolics". "symbolics" is marked with a star in
"pkg list". I am using Win10 Pro x64.

Besides "symbolic" I have nothing downloaded and installed. I am newbie
in Octave.

On Nov 4, 2017 11:08 AM, "Leo Baumann" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have downloaded "symbolics" with "pkg install -forge symbolics" and loaded with "pkg load symbolics". "symbolics" is marked with a star in "pkg list". I am using Win10 Pro x64.

Besides "symbolic" I have nothing downloaded and installed. I am newbie in Octave.

Welcome to octave!

Ok what you did will work for most packages. Symbolic is an exception. It requires Python and Python's symbolic package.

If you don't want to install those separately, there is a bundled package for windows.

First, uninstall the symbolic package.

Pkg uninstall symbolic    (I think. Check the help)

Then go to

where you can download the latest win-py-bundle

Then manually install it using

Pkg install 'fiilename'

(Make sure your in the same working folder as the downloaded file)

Then things should work

Last:
the convention of this list is to 'bottom post' replies to keep the thread readable. See http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

Re: Problems to use symbolic first time

NJank
Please keep the help list cc'd, and please don't top-post

"symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.6.0.zip", have unzipped it and saved to the folder in Octave to the other packages. -

Ok, the 'does not exist' means it cannot see the file. Usually that means octave's current working directory and where you saved the file are different. You need to change octave's working directory to the place you saved the file, or move the file to octaves working directory.

You can do this by the command line or by the file/folder tree in the upper left of the octave graphical interface. Typing pwd will print the working directory, and CD will change directory. ls or dir will show the contents of the working directory. If you're using the folder tree, just navigate to the folder where you saved the file.  When you're there you should see the file listed in the folder tree window. Then try the pkg install again

Am 04.11.2017 um 20:42 schrieb Nicholas Jankowski:
[...]

Yes, that all I have done. The working directory is set right. The file was listed. -

I just got this error message:

First I tried this:

>> pkg install symbolic-win-py-bundle
warning: file symbolic-win-py-bundle does not exist

Second I tried this:

>> pkg install symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.6.0
unpack: FILETYPE must be "gunzip" for a directory

I think that means the unzipped "symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.6.0.zip" has the wrong file-format for installing.

Now I am absolutely confused.

Thank You for Your help.

Regards Leo

Re: Problems to use symbolic first time

NJank

First I tried this:

>> pkg install symbolic-win-py-bundle
warning: file symbolic-win-py-bundle does not exist

Second I tried this:

>> pkg install symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.6.0
unpack: FILETYPE must be "gunzip" for a directory

I think that means the unzipped "symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.6.0.zip" has the wrong file-format for installing.

Now I am absolutely confused.

Thank You for Your help.

Regards Leo

wait, first, you can't leave off the file extension. Try

>> pkg install symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.6.0.zip

You didn't unzip the file yourself first, did you?

Am 04.11.2017 um 21:43 schrieb Nicholas Jankowski:

wait, first, you can't leave off the file extension. Try

>> pkg install symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.6.0.zip

You didn't unzip the file yourself first, did you?

sorry - first did unzipped - now I have copied the *.zip file in that directory and I got this:

>> pkg install symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.6.0.zip
Use of uninitialized value in lc at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/utf8_heavy.pl line 123.
[...]
For information about changes from previous versions of the symbolic package, run 'news symbolic'.
>> pkg load symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.6.0
error: package symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.6.0 is not installed
error: called from
    load_packages at line 41 column 7
    pkg at line 411 column 7
>> pkg load symbolic
>> syms x
OctSymPy v2.6.0: this is free software without warranty, see source.
Initializing communication with SymPy using a popen2() pipe.
Some output from the Python subprocess (pid 5108) might appear next.
Python 2.7.9 (default, Dec 10 2014, 12:24:55) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
(InteractiveConsole)

OctSymPy: Communication established.  SymPy v1.1.1.
Python 2.7.9 (default, Dec 10 2014, 12:24:55) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
>> syms x

It seems it is working now.
Thank You very much for Your help.
Sorry for my stubidity.

Now I can continue with learning.

Thanks

Regards - Leo

Re: Problems to use symbolic first time

NJank
no problem glad it all worked out.

Colin: I thought installing Symbolic was supposed to throw an error if python wasn't installed. No? Is there a way to build in a prompt pointing windows users to to bundle if python isn't detected?  And I thought the lc line 123 perl warnings were cleaned up with a patch...no?

Re: Problems to use symbolic first time

Mike Miller-4
On Sat, Nov 04, 2017 at 18:50:44 -0400, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> Colin: I thought installing Symbolic was supposed to throw an error if
> python wasn't installed. No?

It was changed from an install time test to a runtime test for Python.
Yes, this means you can now install the package and think everything is
fine until you try to use it.

> And I thought the lc
> line 123 perl warnings were cleaned up with a patch...no?

There is a patch but it needs to be applied to Perl. Perl is part of the
msys project that Octave's Windows build is built with.

These warnings will be cleaned up when we either update to msys2, update
Perl some other way, or patch the ancient version of Perl that we are
using.

Re: Problems to use symbolic first time

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2017-11-05 04:27 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 04, 2017 at 18:50:44 -0400, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
>> Colin: I thought installing Symbolic was supposed to throw an error if
>> python wasn't installed. No?
>
> It was changed from an install time test to a runtime test for Python.
> Yes, this means you can now install the package and think everything is
> fine until you try to use it.

Thank you both for helping with this thread!

Mike is right on both counts.  The decision for a run-time test was made
at https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/issues/413, in part because of
issues on Windows and Mac.

>> And I thought the lc
>> line 123 perl warnings were cleaned up with a patch...no?
>
> There is a patch but it needs to be applied to Perl. Perl is part of the
> msys project that Octave's Windows build is built with.
>
> These warnings will be cleaned up when we either update to msys2, update
> Perl some other way, or patch the ancient version of Perl that we are
> using.

+1, would love to see this fixed.

Colin

On Nov 5, 2017 7:27 PM, "Mike Miller" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 04, 2017 at 18:50:44 -0400, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> Colin: I thought installing Symbolic was supposed to throw an error if
> python wasn't installed. No?

It was changed from an install time test to a runtime test for Python.
Yes, this means you can now install the package and think everything is
fine until you try to use it.

Ok. From the bug discussion I  understand the intent, but is there any other way to convey this requirement to the user upon install? maybe a post install message similar or added to the "For information about changes from previous versions of the symbolic package, run 'news symbolic'." message?