[Q] Anyone working on port to WIN95/NT ?

[Q] Anyone working on port to WIN95/NT ?

Avi Ring-2
Is anybody working on porting OCTAVE to WIN95/WINNT ?

Avi Ring, Uppsala, Sweden
EMAIL: [hidden email]

[Q] Anyone working on port to WIN95/NT ?

John W. Eaton-6
On 17-Jun-1996, Avi Ring <[hidden email]> wrote:

: Is anybody working on porting OCTAVE to WIN95/WINNT ?

I don't know of anyone who is working on this.  If you are interested,
please contact me first so we can discuss the project and so that you
can start working with more recent sources.

Re: [Q] Anyone working on port to WIN95/NT ?

John L Daschbach-2

   : Is anybody working on porting OCTAVE to WIN95/WINNT ?

        One place to start might be with the OS/2 version.  This uses
the EMX port of GCC, and includes a nearly complete unix library so
lots of Unix code can be compiled straight away on OS/2 and the
library handles the differences with path specifiers etc.  I have not
looked, but I would think very little was needed to change octave so
it would compile on OS/2.  I have compiled many other Unix programs
with no changes.
        You can run bound emx programs as 32bit programs on DOS, but
it uses the non-M$ way of handling this and so they don't run under
Win* without changing the extender (which can be done I have heard).
You might be able to find out about this and run the OS/2 compiled
version under W95.  Don't know about NT.
        Of course, you could just run OS/2, which is a great desktop
OS.  Now with Xfree ported to OS/2 it makes it even better.

-John

Re: [Q] Anyone working on port to WIN95/NT ?

Daniel A. Powers-2
> You can run bound emx programs as 32bit programs on DOS, but
> it uses the non-M$ way of handling this and so they don't run under
> Win* without changing the extender (which can be done I have heard).
> You might be able to find out about this and run the OS/2 compiled
> version under W95.  Don't know about NT.
> Of course, you could just run OS/2, which is a great desktop
> OS.  Now with Xfree ported to OS/2 it makes it even better.

I think the extender is RSX.  I've used this to run (port) 32-bit programs
compiled with gcc or f77 using EMX on OS/2 in VDM Dos, WINOS/2 and WIN95

Cheers,
Dan

:
: One place to start might be with the OS/2 version.  This uses
: the EMX port of GCC

I was actually thinking that it might be easiest to start with the
port of the GNU tools to Windows NT (and Windows 95?) that has been
done by Cygnus Support.  I believe that it includes everything that
would make this fairly easy, including the GNU compilers, libg++,
glibc, make, bison, flex, and bash.  I would consider trying this
myself, but I don't have a suitable system running Windows.

jwe