Quantcast

QtOctave for windows and questions

Pedro Luis Lucas Rosado

Hi, I have compiled a windows version of QtOctave. You can download from:

http://qtoctave.wordpress.com/what-is-qtoctave/

Other question is:
It is possible install octave in usb pendrive? I have tried but I have problems with
windows regitry when execute octave in others computers.

RE: QtOctave for windows and questions

Fouts Christopher (QNA RTP PT PREV)
I d/l'd and tried this, and got the error
"If octave does not start, set the octave path in the octave.bat
file"

...so I did (in "c:\programs\cygwin\...\octave.exe"

and still get the error...

does this run with a cygwin installation of octave? It should
correct, since it's just another windows exec...

-chris

Michael Grossbach
[hidden email] wrote:

> I d/l'd and tried this, and got the error
> "If octave does not start, set the octave path in the octave.bat
> file"
>
> ...so I did (in "c:\programs\cygwin\...\octave.exe"
>
> and still get the error...
>
> does this run with a cygwin installation of octave? It should
> correct, since it's just another windows exec...
I did the same with the 2.1.73-1 source-forge version for Windows and it
runs ok. But what's the use of a GUI to Octave anyway?
Michael

Re: QtOctave for windows and questions

Steve Thompson-9
On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 19:59 +0100, Michael Grossbach wrote:
> But what's the use of a GUI to Octave anyway?

I agree with your line of reasoning.  However, it seems like 90%
of the Matlab users I encounter say: does Octave have a GUI like
Matlab?

I've shown them a screen shot of Kate, with Octave running in
Kate's build-in lower panel command line, displaying a plot,
etc., and that looks somewhat familiar too them.  But I think a
big sticking point for many Matlab users switching to Octave is a
GUI.

Personally, I run Octave in Konsole, edit m-files with Vim, and
see no need for a GUI.  But for greater adoption, a big fat and
feature-rich Octave GUI would be an asset for the project.

Steve

RE: QtOctave for windows and questions

Fouts Christopher (QNA RTP PT PREV)

>> I d/l'd and tried this, and got the error "If octave does not start,
>> set the octave path in the octave.bat file"
>>
>> ...so I did (in "c:\programs\cygwin\...\octave.exe"
>>
>> and still get the error...
>>
>> does this run with a cygwin installation of octave? It
>should correct,
>> since it's just another windows exec...
>I did the same with the 2.1.73-1 source-forge version for
>Windows and it runs ok. But what's the use of a GUI to Octave anyway?
>Michael

I'm just playing around. What do you mean by "I did the same...". Do you
have a cygwin/octave install also, and it ran for you after you modified
the octave.bat file?

-chris

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:42:46 +0100
Von: [hidden email]
An: [hidden email]
CC:
RE: QtOctave for windows and questions

> >I did the same with the 2.1.73-1 source-forge version for
> >Windows and it runs ok.
I meant I modified the path to the octave.exe in the .bat file. And no, not cygwin but I use the octave-forge installer.

Michael

RE: QtOctave for windows and questions

John W. Eaton-6
On 14-Mar-2007, Michael Grossbach wrote:

| I meant I modified the path to the octave.exe in the .bat file. And no, not cygwin but I use the octave-forge installer.

Isn't that version really just a standalone minimal Cygwin
installation that includes Octave (even if it doesn't appear to be
"Cygwin")?

John W. Eaton wrote:
> Isn't that version really just a standalone minimal Cygwin
> installation that includes Octave (even if it doesn't appear to be
> "Cygwin")?
That's what I had always thought, yes. But the two seem to behave
differently in respect to QtOctave (at least that was my impression from
-chris' and my experience). That's why I stressed I don't use the
obviously-cygwin-octave but rather the does-not
-seem-to-have-cygwin-octave ;)
Michael

RE: QtOctave for windows and questions

Fouts Christopher (QNA RTP PT PREV)

>On 14-Mar-2007, Michael Grossbach wrote:
>
>| I meant I modified the path to the octave.exe in the .bat
>file. And no, not cygwin but I use the octave-forge installer.
>
>Isn't that version really just a standalone minimal Cygwin
>installation that includes Octave (even if it doesn't appear
>to be "Cygwin")?
>
>jwe

I was thinking along the same lines, but when I point the
octave.bat file to my .../cygwin/.../octave.exe, I still get
the same "Can't start octave blah, blah,.." error..

Re: QtOctave for windows and questions

Francesco Potortì
>> But what's the use of a GUI to Octave anyway?
>
>I agree with your line of reasoning.  However, it seems like 90%
>of the Matlab users I encounter say: does Octave have a GUI like
>Matlab?

While I run Octave from inside Emacs, often from a virtual console, I
perfectly understand those users: they are accustomed to having a window
with a menu showing the fundamental available commands, including a help
function.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040

Re: QtOctave for windows and questions

Nicolas Pettiaux-2
2007/3/14, Steve C. Thompson <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 19:59 +0100, Michael Grossbach wrote:
> > But what's the use of a GUI to Octave anyway?
>
> I agree with your line of reasoning.  However, it seems like 90%
> of the Matlab users I encounter say: does Octave have a GUI like
> Matlab?
>
> I've shown them a screen shot of Kate, with Octave running in
> Kate's build-in lower panel command line, displaying a plot,
> etc., and that looks somewhat familiar too them.  But I think a
> big sticking point for many Matlab users switching to Octave is a
> GUI.
>
> Personally, I run Octave in Konsole, edit m-files with Vim, and
> see no need for a GUI.  But for greater adoption, a big fat and
> feature-rich Octave GUI would be an asset for the project.

Unfortunately, I must agree; that is : "even if I think this makes
little real sense, I also think a big sticking point for many Matlab
users switching to Octave is a
GUI." (at least this is a remark I get from the students I push to use
octave instead of matlab)

Si thanks to the author of qtoctave who helps in this way, that
simplify the adoption (indeed , simpler for many than using emacs or
vim or kate or scite or ... as editors that they would have to learn,
and then run octave separately)

Another way, is to run octave with many other tools throught the very
nice interface provided by SAGE that mimics the mathematica one (as
far as I have been told, because I do not use mathematica)

Nicolas
--
Nicolas Pettiaux - email: [hidden email]