Query about GPL-License

nigel Jordan
Dear Madam/ Sir,

We are developing an application in C++, which is going to call "octave-cli.exe" using windows
api "CreateProcess". The c++ application is not calling any octave library functions directly.
The applicaion creates a process that runs octave-cli.exe. The application stores the statements
to be executed in a variable. Basically, the variable is an in-memory version of a .m file.
The application writes the contents of the variable, line by line, to the created process's
standard input stream, using windows pipes. The application also reads back the computed result
from process's output stream. We need our application to be closed source, and don't want it
to be GPL-licensed. Can we do this?

Thanks and Regards,

Nigel

Re: Query about GPL-License

Francesco Potortì
>We are developing an application in C++, which is going to call
>"octave-cli.exe" using windows api "CreateProcess". The c++ application
>is not calling any octave library functions directly.

>The applicaion creates a process that runs octave-cli.exe. The
>application stores the statements to be executed in a
>variable. Basically, the variable is an in-memory version of a .m file.

>The application writes the contents of the variable, line by line, to
>the created process's standard input stream, using windows pipes. The
>application also reads back the computed result from process's output
>stream. We need our application to be closed source, and don't want it
>to be GPL-licensed. Can we do this?

Yes.  If you don't use any internals of Octave and you do not link to
Octave libraries, but you only use Octave as a black box reading input
and writing output, you can use it in every way you want.

If you distribute Octave together with your application, you must also
distribute the Octave source, or offer to provide it as stated in the
GPL.

If you use Octave in a commercial product and you do make money from it,
it would be nice to contribute to Octave development with a donation or
other means.  And you can also use this an advertisement for you :)

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
(entrance 20, 1st floor, room C71)     Web:    http://fly.isti.cnr.it

Re: Query about GPL-License

nigel Jordan
Dear Francesco Potortì,

Thanks for valuable reply. There is one more query;

As our application just using "Octave" as a black-box so we can use it in every way we want. Can we include "Octave Installer" into our installer, mean can we include octave installer into our setup and install octave from our installer prior to installing our application?

Thanks and Regards,

Nigel

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 11:58 PM, Francesco Potortì <[hidden email]> wrote:
>We are developing an application in C++, which is going to call
>"octave-cli.exe" using windows api "CreateProcess". The c++ application
>is not calling any octave library functions directly.

>The applicaion creates a process that runs octave-cli.exe. The
>application stores the statements to be executed in a
>variable. Basically, the variable is an in-memory version of a .m file.

>The application writes the contents of the variable, line by line, to
>the created process's standard input stream, using windows pipes. The
>application also reads back the computed result from process's output
>stream. We need our application to be closed source, and don't want it
>to be GPL-licensed. Can we do this?

Yes.  If you don't use any internals of Octave and you do not link to
Octave libraries, but you only use Octave as a black box reading input
and writing output, you can use it in every way you want.

If you distribute Octave together with your application, you must also
distribute the Octave source, or offer to provide it as stated in the
GPL.

If you use Octave in a commercial product and you do make money from it,
it would be nice to contribute to Octave development with a donation or
other means.  And you can also use this an advertisement for you :)

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107
via G. Moruzzi 1, I-56124 Pisa         Skype:  wnlabisti
(entrance 20, 1st floor, room C71)     Web:    http://fly.isti.cnr.it

Re: Query about GPL-License

nigel Jordan
Hello,

As our application just using "Octave" as a black-box so we can use it in every way we want.
Can we include "Octave Installer" into our installer, mean can we include octave installer into our setup and install octave from our installer prior to installing our application?

In other words, can we distribute octave off-line installer with our application installer.

Thanks and Regards,

Nigel

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 1:13 PM, nigel Jordan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Francesco Potortì,

Thanks for valuable reply. There is one more query;

As our application just using "Octave" as a black-box so we can use it in every way we want. Can we include "Octave Installer" into our installer, mean can we include octave installer into our setup and install octave from our installer prior to installing our application?

Thanks and Regards,

Nigel

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 11:58 PM, Francesco Potortì <[hidden email]> wrote:
>We are developing an application in C++, which is going to call
>"octave-cli.exe" using windows api "CreateProcess". The c++ application
>is not calling any octave library functions directly.

>The applicaion creates a process that runs octave-cli.exe. The
>application stores the statements to be executed in a
>variable. Basically, the variable is an in-memory version of a .m file.

>The application writes the contents of the variable, line by line, to
>the created process's standard input stream, using windows pipes. The
>application also reads back the computed result from process's output
>stream. We need our application to be closed source, and don't want it
>to be GPL-licensed. Can we do this?

Yes.  If you don't use any internals of Octave and you do not link to
Octave libraries, but you only use Octave as a black box reading input
and writing output, you can use it in every way you want.

If you distribute Octave together with your application, you must also
distribute the Octave source, or offer to provide it as stated in the
GPL.

If you use Octave in a commercial product and you do make money from it,
it would be nice to contribute to Octave development with a donation or
other means.  And you can also use this an advertisement for you :)

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107
via G. Moruzzi 1, I-56124 Pisa         Skype:  wnlabisti
(entrance 20, 1st floor, room C71)     Web:    http://fly.isti.cnr.it

Re: Query about GPL-License

NJank

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 9:11 AM, nigel Jordan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

As our application just using "Octave" as a black-box so we can use it in every way we want.
Can we include "Octave Installer" into our installer, mean can we include octave installer into our setup and install octave from our installer prior to installing our application?

I think that would fall under his earlier statement, as you would now be distributing the Octave application.

If you distribute Octave together with your application, you must also
distribute the Octave source, or offer to provide it as stated in the
GPL.

Re: Query about GPL-License

Carlo de Falco-2

> On 25 Jul 2017, at 15:11, nigel Jordan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> As our application just using "Octave" as a black-box so we can use it in every way we want.
> Can we include "Octave Installer" into our installer, mean can we include octave installer into our setup and install octave from our installer prior to installing our application?
>
> In other words, can we distribute octave off-line installer with our application installer.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Nigel

Hi,

GNU Octave is distributed under the terms of the GNU GPL (version 3) license.

You may find answers to many common questions about what the GPL does or does not allow you to do here:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html

But if you are really looking for legal advice you're probably better off asking a lawyer.

c.

Re: Query about GPL-License

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 18:41:56 +0530, nigel Jordan wrote:
> As our application just using "Octave" as a black-box so we can use it in
> every way we want.

If you are sending Octave expressions into Octave via some kind of IPC,
then it is not really a black box, is it? This sounds like a derivative
work to me.

IANAL.

Re: Query about GPL-License

Francesco Potortì

As I wrote earlier:

>>> If you distribute Octave together with your application, you must also
>>> distribute the Octave source, or offer to provide it as stated in the
>>> GPL.

If you really are going commercial with this, you should definitely read
about the GPL on the FSFE site, and specifically the FAQ.