RE: Using msys2 for mxe-octave

John Donoghue-3

As a nice side effect, we can now do stuff like install python and sympy
through msys2 package manager:

> pacman -Sy
> pacman -S python3-pip
> pip install sympy

Re: Using msys2 for mxe-octave

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2018-08-30 12:07 PM, JohnD wrote:
> As a nice side effect, we can now do stuff like install python and sympy
> through msys2 package manager:
>
>> pacman -Sy
>> pacman -S python3-pip
>> pip install sympy

If I've understood correctly, you mean the end-user can do that Octave
is installed.  But where does she type those commands?  Can she do
`system('pacman -Sy')` from within Octave?

Anyway, certainly sounds like good news for the Symbolic package (and
others) with external dependencies.  If someone can test all this and
document it (e.g., at [1]) it would be much appreciated!

thanks,
Colin

[1]
https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-Windows-installation

RE: Re: Using msys2 for mxe-octave

John Donoghue-3

> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 14:47:13 -0500
> From: Colin Macdonald <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Using msys2 for mxe-octave
>
> On 2018-08-30 12:07 PM, JohnD wrote:
> > As a nice side effect, we can now do stuff like install python and sympy
> > through msys2 package manager:
> >
> >> pacman -Sy
> >> pacman -S python3-pip
> >> pip install sympy
>
> If I've understood correctly, you mean the end-user can do that Octave
> is installed.  But where does she type those commands?  Can she do
> `system('pacman -Sy')` from within Octave?
>
> Anyway, certainly sounds like good news for the Symbolic package (and
> others) with external dependencies.  If someone can test all this and
> document it (e.g., at [1]) it would be much appreciated!
>
> thanks,
> Colin
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-Windows-installation

They could do via system calls, although I prefer opening up the Bash shell
window from the Octave install and doing it from there.

Currently it is only going to work on dev installers that  have been created
using msys2 as part of the install - I guess next release will be Octave
5.0.0 ?

Re: Re: Using msys2 for mxe-octave

tmacchant

>>  > As a nice side effect, we can now do stuff like install python and
> sympy
>>  > through msys2 package manager:
>>  >
>>  >> pacman -Sy
>>  >> pacman -S python3-pip
>>  >> pip install sympy
>>
>>  If I've understood correctly, you mean the end-user can do that Octave
>>  is installed.  But where does she type those commands?  Can she do
>>  `system('pacman -Sy')` from within Octave?
>>
>>  Anyway, certainly sounds like good news for the Symbolic package (and
>>  others) with external dependencies.  If someone can test all this and
>>  document it (e.g., at [1]) it would be much appreciated!
>>
>>  thanks,
>>  Colin
>>
>>  [1]
>>  https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-Windows-installation
>>

> They could do via system calls, although I prefer opening up the Bash shell
> window from the Octave install and doing it from there.
>
> Currently it is only going to work on dev installers that  have been created
> using msys2 as part of the install - I guess next release will be Octave
> 5.0.0 ?

I have built octave 4.4.1 for windows using mxe-octave.
Now I can use msys2.

I could install sympy
 pacman -Sy
 pacman -S python3-pip
 pip install sympy

from msys2 prompt.

And then I could install the symbolic package from octave prompt
 >> pkg install -forge symbolic

Tatsuro