RE: scanForArduinos (Vicent)

John Donoghue-3

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 15:51:25 -0600 (CST)
> From: Vicent <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: scanForArduinos
>
> Hi! I'm using an old laptop (with ubuntu 18.04.1 ) with octave 4.2.2 and
I'm
> trying to connect it with an arduino Uno board. (Arduino 1.8.7 IDE)
> After running the arduinosetup intruction ( I'm doing this in order to
check
> if the laptop can connect to the board) when I try to find the board I'm
> always getting an empty string as a result. Any Suggestion?
> Thanks.
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373116/portatil_caracter%C3%AD
> sticas.png>
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373116/scanForArduinos.png>

When running the arduinosetup command, looking on the Arduino IDE, did you
verify the serial port it detected was OK, set the board type correctly and
upload the code to the Arduino, (and was it successful)

If the scan is still failing, what happens if try to create an Arduino
object:

ar = arduino('/dev/ttyACM0')

NOTE: change the /dev/ttyACM0 to whatever the port your arduino is connected
to.

RE: scanForArduinos (Vicent)

Vicent
John Donoghue-3 wrote

> When running the arduinosetup command, looking on the Arduino IDE, did you
> verify the serial port it detected was OK, set the board type correctly
> and
> upload the code to the Arduino, (and was it successful)

My board is UNO and in the IDE apears Genuine Uno, I guess it's the same.
The upload is  succesful and the scanForArduinos function is still failing.

John Donoghue-3 wrote
> If the scan is still failing, what happens if try to create an Arduino
> object:
>
> ar = arduino('/dev/ttyACM0')

I've checked that it'is the same port than when I've uploaded the firmware
to the board.

and I've I got this:

>> ar = arduino('/dev/ttyACM0')
warning: the 'serial' function is not yet implemented in Octave

Please read <http://www.octave.org/missing.html> to learn how you can
contribute missing functionality.
error: 'serial' undefined near line 28 column 22
error: called from
    __initArduino__ at line 28 column 20
    arduino at line 94 column 16

<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373116/scanForArduinos2.png>

Re: RE: scanForArduinos (Vicent)

John Donoghue-3
Message: 4
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 15:59:30 -0600 (CST)
From: Vicent [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: RE: scanForArduinos (Vicent)

John Donoghue-3 wrote
[...]

That error suggests that the instrument-control package is not installed - or somehow not loaded it is is.

Do you have instrument-control and the arduino package both listed when running from octave:

> pkg list

After running the load for arduino

> pkg load arduino

If you rerun the 'pkg list' command, the arduino and instrument control packages should show a '*' next to them to show that they were loaded.

Re: RE: scanForArduinos (Vicent)

Vicent
John Donoghue-3 wrote

> That error suggests that the instrument-control package is not installed
> - or somehow not loaded it is is.
>
> Do you have instrument-control and the arduino package both listed when
> running from octave:
>

>  > pkg list
>

> After running the load for arduino
>
>  > pkg load arduino
>
> If you rerun the 'pkg list' command, the arduino and instrument control
> packages should show a '*' next to them to show that they were loaded.

I had the instrument-control package installed  and loaded because I could
see the '*' next to the arduino and instrument-control packages, but
probably I had any problem in the installation because I've reinstalled the
instrument-control package again and now everything is working corretly.
scanForArduinos is working , the program to control the servos too.
Thank you very much!!