README files in etc directory?

Rik-4
5/15/17

Are the README files in the <topdir>/etc directory still useful?  It seems
that probably most of the information is out of date, and the documentation
of problems has probably shifted to either savannah for bug reports or the
wiki for workarounds.  I ask because README.MacOS (last updated 2/19/2011)
still refers to "automake (>= 1.11)".  This should now be 1.14, but if no
one is using these files then we should get rid of them entirely to reduce
the maintenance burden.

--Rik

Re: README files in etc directory?

On 05/15/2017 04:46 PM, Rik wrote:
> 5/15/17
>
> Are the README files in the <topdir>/etc directory still useful?  It seems
> that probably most of the information is out of date, and the documentation
> of problems has probably shifted to either savannah for bug reports or the
> wiki for workarounds.  I ask because README.MacOS (last updated 2/19/2011)
> still refers to "automake (>= 1.11)".  This should now be 1.14, but if no
> one is using these files then we should get rid of them entirely to reduce
> the maintenance burden.

Yes, they look obsolete.  It's OK with me if they are removed.

jwe