RNG function

sharanbr
I am writing Octave code using Matlab as a reference. The Matlab has RNG
function being used but this is not yet implemented in Octave. What is the
equivalent for RNG in Octave?

Re: RNG function

Francesco Potortì
>I am writing Octave code using Matlab as a reference. The Matlab has RNG
>function being used but this is not yet implemented in Octave. What is the
>equivalent for RNG in Octave?

The rng() function of Matlab is not currently implemented in Octave.

Octave has reliable implementations of rand(), randn() and friends,
which can be seeded and initialised using the same syntax of Matlab for
those functions.

Have a look at the Octave manual and come back here if you need more
help.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
(entrance 20, 1st floor, room C71)     Web:    http://fly.isti.cnr.it

Re: RNG function

sharanbr
Thanks. I have implemented without RNG for now and prima facie, everything
seems to be working. I will come back to this forum if needed.

Re: RNG function

Francesco Potortì
>Thanks. I have implemented without RNG for now and prima facie, everything
>seems to be working. I will come back to this forum if needed.

If you need rng, it would be nice if you could write an rng function for
Octave which is compatible with Matlab's, and contribute it to the
Octave community for everyone to use.

If you do that, please note that you should NOT look at the code of the
Matlab rng function, but you should reimplement it starting from the
usage documentation.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
(entrance 20, 1st floor, room C71)     Web:    http://fly.isti.cnr.it

Re: RNG function

sharanbr
Sure. I am not an expert in Octave or Matlab but I will try this. Thanks for
the inputs.