Re: Employment News

Rik-4
On 09/14/2017 01:40 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
Employment News: I joined ESI Group
From:
"John W. Eaton" [hidden email]
Date:
09/14/2017 12:06 PM
To:
Octave Maintainers List [hidden email]
CC:
[hidden email]
7bit
Message:
2

As of last week, I have joined ESI Group (https://www.esi-group.com).
ESI is a leading innovator in virtual prototyping software and
services and has also managed the development of Scilab since February
2017.

This is an exciting opportunity for me.  I remain focused on improving
Octave and making it an excellent platform for numerical computations.
With ESI I will continue doing general development, supporting
customer's needs, and exploring ways for Octave and Scilab to benefit
one another.

If you would like to know more about ESI's involvement with Scilab,
you can read the announcement of that acquisition here:

  https://www.scilab.org/community/news/ESI-Scilab

Congratulations, they seem like an interesting, progressive company.

What is the extent to which you will be able to work on Octave?  Is it full-time working on the core and addressing specific feature requests?  Is it more like Google where you will have a day a week to devote to your own interests?  Or is it a regular programming job, but nights and weekends are your own time?

Best regards,
Rik

Re: Employment News

Daniel Sebald
On 09/15/2017 03:26 PM, Rik wrote:

>> Employment News: I joined ESI Group
>> From:
>> "John W. Eaton" <[hidden email]>
>> Date:
>> 09/14/2017 12:06 PM
>>
>> To:
>> Octave Maintainers List <[hidden email]>
>> CC:
>> [hidden email]

>> 7bit
>> Message:
>> 2
>>

>> As of last week, I have joined ESI Group (https://www.esi-group.com).
>> ESI is a leading innovator in virtual prototyping software and
>> services and has also managed the development of Scilab since February
>> 2017.
>>
>> This is an exciting opportunity for me.  I remain focused on improving
>> Octave and making it an excellent platform for numerical computations.
>> With ESI I will continue doing general development, supporting
>> customer's needs, and exploring ways for Octave and Scilab to benefit
>> one another.
>>
>> If you would like to know more about ESI's involvement with Scilab,
>> you can read the announcement of that acquisition here:
>>
>> https://www.scilab.org/community/news/ESI-Scilab
>>

> Congratulations, they seem like an interesting, progressive company.
>
> What is the extent to which you will be able to work on Octave?  Is it
> full-time working on the core and addressing specific feature requests?
> Is it more like Google where you will have a day a week to devote to
> your own interests?  Or is it a regular programming job, but nights and
> weekends are your own time?
>
> Best regards,
> Rik
>>
>> jwe

Not speaking for JWE, but let's assume weekends.  Internal
responsibilities grow with time is typical as a company becomes more
dependent on an employee.

Right now summer activity is winding down and there have been a lot of
new bugs to deal with.  Maybe it would be a good idea to think over the
winter about how to organize the project, understand what parts are
stable, what parts aren't, redesign some things that have been a
bottleneck, how to more effectively incorporate patches on Savannah so
they don't die on the vine for lack of resources, etc.

Dan

Re: Employment News

On 09/15/2017 04:26 PM, Rik wrote:

> Congratulations, they seem like an interesting, progressive company.

Thanks.  Everything has been great so far.

> What is the extent to which you will be able to work on Octave?  Is it
> full-time working on the core and addressing specific feature requests?

Yes, currently with some exploration of how Octave and Scilab can both
work together more effectively.  I don't know exactly where that will
lead, but I believe that this is good news for both projects.

jwe