Quantcast

Re: OctConf 2017 sign-up list

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: OctConf 2017 sign-up list

Rik-4
On 01/31/2017 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Subject:
Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?
From:
Juan Pablo Carbajal [hidden email]
Date:
01/31/2017 04:54 AM
To:
Andrea Latina [hidden email]
CC:
Maintainers GNU Octave [hidden email]
List-Post:
[hidden email]
Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
Precedence:
list
MIME-Version:
1.0
References:
[hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email] <20160802153032.GA28332@till> [hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email]
In-Reply-To:
[hidden email]
Message-ID:
[hidden email]
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Message:
1

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Sebastian Schöps [hidden email] wrote:
> Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
>> @Sebastian or @JordiGH: Would it be possible to get a checklist from
>> you, describing the organizational steps you took?
>> (or anybody else with experience in organizing OctConf or similar meeting)
>
> Check list
> * fixed a date and announced on the mailing list ("save the date")
> * organized funding to invite some speakers, possibly childcare and pay food
> & coffee etc.
> * booked rooms (plenary and some seminar rooms)
> * reserved hotels for accommodation
> * organized a social event
> * invited a few plenary speakers that are of interest to the octave
> community (e.g. Christophe Geuzaine, author of Gmsh/Getdp)
> * created a wiki page with travel information, hotels etc
> * distributed small posters via email to colleagues/scientists/friends
> whatsoever to advertise
> * add an initial schedule of the week to the wiki with reserved slots for
> invited speakers
> * motivated the community to fill the schedule :)
>
> See http://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2015
>
> Sebastian
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Anyone-in-Europe-willing-to-host-OctConf-2016-tp4676830p4681697.html
> Sent from the Octave - Maintainers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Hi Andrea,

Being at a distance there is some much I can help you with.
We do not know yet whether the "key" participants can make it to Octconf.
In the meanwhile, I will put the information you provided in to the
Wiki and start motivating the community to sing in and register for
poster sessions.

Juan,

This seems key.  If you put a sign-up page on the wiki then we can know by the end of the week how many people might be attending and make a go/no-go decision then.

--Rik

1. Can you provide contact e-mails?
2. Do you think you can use Sebastian's checklist to help you prepare
thing over there? Many times the host institution has an office that
helps with this kind of things.

I guess the checklist should also help you to decide if it is a NO-GO,
I hope we can do it.
Please do delegate any thing you think I can do from here.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: OctConf 2017 sign-up list

Andrea Latina-2
On 31.01.17 20:27, Rik wrote:

> On 01/31/2017 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Subject:
>> Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?
>> From:
>> Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]>
>> Date:
>> 01/31/2017 04:54 AM
>>
>> To:
>> Andrea Latina <[hidden email]>
>> CC:
>> Maintainers GNU Octave <[hidden email]>
>>
>> List-Post:
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> Content-Transfer-Encoding:
>> quoted-printable
>> Precedence:
>> list
>> MIME-Version:
>> 1.0
>> References:
>> <[hidden email]>
>> <[hidden email]>
>> <[hidden email]>
>> <[hidden email]>
>> <CAJYQbRqhbf_pebOAOSgT76virMohw+FuidxJe_QoHRnsan=[hidden email]>
>> <20160802153032.GA28332@till>
>> <[hidden email]>
>> <CABDtPkTGpoo-DkP3P8s3nvE6yzQJrXq9xRW_aa=[hidden email]>
>> <CAJe_MahkkQ=[hidden email]>
>> <[hidden email]>
>> <[hidden email]>
>> In-Reply-To:
>> <[hidden email]>
>> Message-ID:
>> <[hidden email]>
>> Content-Type:
>> text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>> Message:
>> 1
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Sebastian Schöps <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
>>>>>> @Sebastian or @JordiGH: Would it be possible to get a checklist from
>>>>>> you, describing the organizational steps you took?
>>>>>> (or anybody else with experience in organizing OctConf or similar meeting)
>>>>
>>>> Check list
>>>> * fixed a date and announced on the mailing list ("save the date")
>>>> * organized funding to invite some speakers, possibly childcare and pay food
>>>> & coffee etc.
>>>> * booked rooms (plenary and some seminar rooms)
>>>> * reserved hotels for accommodation
>>>> * organized a social event
>>>> * invited a few plenary speakers that are of interest to the octave
>>>> community (e.g. Christophe Geuzaine, author of Gmsh/Getdp)
>>>> * created a wiki page with travel information, hotels etc
>>>> * distributed small posters via email to colleagues/scientists/friends
>>>> whatsoever to advertise
>>>> * add an initial schedule of the week to the wiki with reserved slots for
>>>> invited speakers
>>>> * motivated the community to fill the schedule :)
>>>>
>>>> See http://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2015
>>>>
>>>> Sebastian
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> View this message in context: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Anyone-in-Europe-willing-to-host-OctConf-2016-tp4676830p4681697.html
>>>> Sent from the Octave - Maintainers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>>>
>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> Being at a distance there is some much I can help you with.
>> We do not know yet whether the "key" participants can make it to Octconf.
>> In the meanwhile, I will put the information you provided in to the
>> Wiki and start motivating the community to sing in and register for
>> poster sessions.
>
> Juan,
>
> This seems key.  If you put a sign-up page on the wiki then we can know by
> the end of the week how many people might be attending and make a go/no-go
> decision then.
>
> --Rik
>
>> 1. Can you provide contact e-mails?
>> 2. Do you think you can use Sebastian's checklist to help you prepare
>> thing over there? Many times the host institution has an office that
>> helps with this kind of things.
>>
>> I guess the checklist should also help you to decide if it is a NO-GO,
>> I hope we can do it.
>> Please do delegate any thing you think I can do from here.
>
>

Dear all,

I have set up a web page using the standard CERN conference manager,
Indico: https://indico.cern.ch/event/609833/ . I would invite everybody
to sign up using the registration form on that page. This will help us
also with granting the access cards to all participants.

I am to add some beef to that page:
* fill up the timetable to reflect the preliminary schedule on the wiki
* add some practical information on how to reach CERN, etc.
* add a list of hotels easily reachable from CERN (I am afraid it's too
late for a group reservation at the CERN hostels, but we could try to
accommodate at CERN some individuals, e.g. those coming from oversea)

It would be nice if the wiki could refer to the Indico page.

Juan, can you put a link on the wiki?

Yes, you can put my email address as contact e-mail.

I will also try to make an essential poster for advertising the event
inside and outside CERN.

I and CERN's John will propagate the link and the posters to the 400-500
CERN users who could be interested in moving to Octave, and to the
various communities within CERN and EPFL.

I hope that simultaneously we'll get a prompt and enthusiastic response
from the Octave community.

Cheers,
Andrea

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: OctConf 2017 sign-up list

Andrea Latina
In reply to this post by Rik-4
Dear all, 

I have set up a web page using the standard CERN conference manager, Indico: https://indico.cern.ch/event/609833/ . I would invite everybody to sign up using the registration form on that page. This will help us also with granting the access cards to all participants. 

I am to add some beef to that page: 
* fill up the timetable to reflect the preliminary schedule on the wiki 
* add some practical information on how to reach CERN, etc. 
* add a list of hotels easily reachable from CERN (I am afraid it's too late for a group reservation at the CERN hostels, but we could try to accommodate at CERN some individuals, e.g. those coming from oversea) 

It would be nice if the wiki could refer to the Indico page. 

Juan, can you put a link on the wiki? 

Yes, you can put my email address as contact e-mail. 

I will also try to make an essential poster for advertising the event inside and outside CERN. 

I and CERN's John will propagate the link and the posters to the 400-500 CERN users who could be interested in moving to Octave, and to the various communities within CERN and EPFL. 

I hope that simultaneously we'll get a prompt and enthusiastic response from the Octave community. 

Cheers, 
Andrea

On 31 January 2017 at 20:27, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/31/2017 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Subject:
Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?
From:
Juan Pablo Carbajal [hidden email]
Date:
01/31/2017 04:54 AM
To:
Andrea Latina [hidden email]
CC:
Maintainers GNU Octave [hidden email]
List-Post:
[hidden email]
Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
Precedence:
list
MIME-Version:
1.0
References:
[hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email] <20160802153032.GA28332@till> [hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email]
In-Reply-To:
[hidden email]
Message-ID:
[hidden email]
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Message:
1

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Sebastian Schöps [hidden email] wrote:
> Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
>> @Sebastian or @JordiGH: Would it be possible to get a checklist from
>> you, describing the organizational steps you took?
>> (or anybody else with experience in organizing OctConf or similar meeting)
>
> Check list
> * fixed a date and announced on the mailing list ("save the date")
> * organized funding to invite some speakers, possibly childcare and pay food
> & coffee etc.
> * booked rooms (plenary and some seminar rooms)
> * reserved hotels for accommodation
> * organized a social event
> * invited a few plenary speakers that are of interest to the octave
> community (e.g. Christophe Geuzaine, author of Gmsh/Getdp)
> * created a wiki page with travel information, hotels etc
> * distributed small posters via email to colleagues/scientists/friends
> whatsoever to advertise
> * add an initial schedule of the week to the wiki with reserved slots for
> invited speakers
> * motivated the community to fill the schedule :)
>
> See http://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2015
>
> Sebastian
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Anyone-in-Europe-willing-to-host-OctConf-2016-tp4676830p4681697.html
> Sent from the Octave - Maintainers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Hi Andrea,

Being at a distance there is some much I can help you with.
We do not know yet whether the "key" participants can make it to Octconf.
In the meanwhile, I will put the information you provided in to the
Wiki and start motivating the community to sing in and register for
poster sessions.

Juan,

This seems key.  If you put a sign-up page on the wiki then we can know by the end of the week how many people might be attending and make a go/no-go decision then.

--Rik

1. Can you provide contact e-mails?
2. Do you think you can use Sebastian's checklist to help you prepare
thing over there? Many times the host institution has an office that
helps with this kind of things.

I guess the checklist should also help you to decide if it is a NO-GO,
I hope we can do it.
Please do delegate any thing you think I can do from here.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: OctConf 2017 sign-up list

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Andrea Latina <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Dear all,
>
> I have set up a web page using the standard CERN conference manager, Indico: https://indico.cern.ch/event/609833/ . I would invite everybody to sign up using the registration form on that page. This will help us also with granting the access cards to all participants.
>
> I am to add some beef to that page:
> * fill up the timetable to reflect the preliminary schedule on the wiki
> * add some practical information on how to reach CERN, etc.
> * add a list of hotels easily reachable from CERN (I am afraid it's too late for a group reservation at the CERN hostels, but we could try to accommodate at CERN some individuals, e.g. those coming from oversea)
>
> It would be nice if the wiki could refer to the Indico page.
>
> Juan, can you put a link on the wiki?
I have done that. It would be nice to have the wiki mirroring the
Indico place. Sharing the Wiki is easier, also we are sure we keep in
there. I will take care of that, just let me know when you update
Indico.
Also, we would need:
* A logo somehow reflecting the CERNy aspect
* Some quick description of the venue.

>
> Yes, you can put my email address as contact e-mail.
>
> I will also try to make an essential poster for advertising the event inside and outside CERN.
>
> I and CERN's John will propagate the link and the posters to the 400-500 CERN users who could be interested in moving to Octave, and to the various communities within CERN and EPFL.
>
> I hope that simultaneously we'll get a prompt and enthusiastic response from the Octave community.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrea
>
> On 31 January 2017 at 20:27, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/31/2017 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Subject:
>> Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?
>> From:
>> Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]>
>> Date:
>> 01/31/2017 04:54 AM
>> To:
>> Andrea Latina <[hidden email]>
>> CC:
>> Maintainers GNU Octave <[hidden email]>
>> List-Post:
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> Content-Transfer-Encoding:
>> quoted-printable
>> Precedence:
>> list
>> MIME-Version:
>> 1.0
>> References:
>> <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> <CAJYQbRqhbf_pebOAOSgT76virMohw+FuidxJe_QoHRnsan=[hidden email]> <20160802153032.GA28332@till> <[hidden email]> <CABDtPkTGpoo-DkP3P8s3nvE6yzQJrXq9xRW_aa=[hidden email]> <CAJe_MahkkQ=[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
>> In-Reply-To:
>> <[hidden email]>
>> Message-ID:
>> <[hidden email]>
>> Content-Type:
>> text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>> Message:
>> 1
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Sebastian Schöps <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
>>
>> >> @Sebastian or @JordiGH: Would it be possible to get a checklist from
>> >> you, describing the organizational steps you took?
>> >> (or anybody else with experience in organizing OctConf or similar meeting)
>>
>> >
>> > Check list
>> > * fixed a date and announced on the mailing list ("save the date")
>> > * organized funding to invite some speakers, possibly childcare and pay food
>> > & coffee etc.
>> > * booked rooms (plenary and some seminar rooms)
>> > * reserved hotels for accommodation
>> > * organized a social event
>> > * invited a few plenary speakers that are of interest to the octave
>> > community (e.g. Christophe Geuzaine, author of Gmsh/Getdp)
>> > * created a wiki page with travel information, hotels etc
>> > * distributed small posters via email to colleagues/scientists/friends
>> > whatsoever to advertise
>> > * add an initial schedule of the week to the wiki with reserved slots for
>> > invited speakers
>> > * motivated the community to fill the schedule :)
>> >
>> > See http://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2015
>> >
>> > Sebastian
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > View this message in context: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Anyone-in-Europe-willing-to-host-OctConf-2016-tp4676830p4681697.html
>> > Sent from the Octave - Maintainers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>> >
>>
>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> Being at a distance there is some much I can help you with.
>> We do not know yet whether the "key" participants can make it to Octconf.
>> In the meanwhile, I will put the information you provided in to the
>> Wiki and start motivating the community to sing in and register for
>> poster sessions.
>>
>>
>> Juan,
>>
>> This seems key.  If you put a sign-up page on the wiki then we can know by the end of the week how many people might be attending and make a go/no-go decision then.
>>
>> --Rik
>>
>> 1. Can you provide contact e-mails?
>> 2. Do you think you can use Sebastian's checklist to help you prepare
>> thing over there? Many times the host institution has an office that
>> helps with this kind of things.
>>
>> I guess the checklist should also help you to decide if it is a NO-GO,
>> I hope we can do it.
>> Please do delegate any thing you think I can do from here.
>>
>>
>

Loading...