Re: Octave Forge spelling

Rik-4
On 08/28/2018 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout
From:
Mike Miller [hidden email]
Date:
08/27/2018 01:20 PM
To:
[hidden email]
Message:
2

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 20:20:59 +0200, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
throughout the website there had been different styles of spelling.
Now it is Octave-Forge everywhere, but this was no deliberate
decision.
There are also different spellings throughout the Octave source tree
that I would like to see resolved.

Would it be better to spell Octave Forge?
It's probably a matter of preference, taste, and maybe culture or native
language. I personally prefer "Octave Forge", but I see "Octave-Forge"
used a lot so maybe more people prefer it. I don't claim any authority
over what it should be. I just like consistency :)

My preference is also "Octave Forge".  Can we just go with that?

There are actually reasonable grammar rules that suggest "Octave Forge".  In English, compound adjectives can be made by linking two adjectives with a hyphen.  Cyanobacteria are known as blue-green algae, where "blue" and "green" are individual adjectives which form a compound adjective to modify algae.  But, the hyphen is not used when the adjective is a proper noun.  One does not write, "I like New-York-City bagels".  In the same vein, Octave is a proper noun so I don't think it should be attached to Forge with a hyphen.

--Rik

Re: Octave Forge spelling

Oliver Heimlich
On 28.08.2018 21:30, Rik wrote:

>> Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout
>> From:
>> Mike Miller <[hidden email]>
>> Date:
>> 08/27/2018 01:20 PM
>>
>> To:
>> [hidden email]

>> protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="orO6xySwJI16pVnm"
>> Message:
>> 2
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 20:20:59 +0200, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
>>> throughout the website there had been different styles of spelling.
>>> Now it is Octave-Forge everywhere, but this was no deliberate
>>> decision.
>> There are also different spellings throughout the Octave source tree
>> that I would like to see resolved.
>>
>>> Would it be better to spell Octave Forge?
>> It's probably a matter of preference, taste, and maybe culture or native
>> language. I personally prefer "Octave Forge", but I see "Octave-Forge"
>> used a lot so maybe more people prefer it. I don't claim any authority
>> over what it should be. I just like consistency :)
>
> My preference is also "Octave Forge".  Can we just go with that?
>
> There are actually reasonable grammar rules that suggest "Octave
> Forge".  In English, compound adjectives can be made by linking two
> adjectives with a hyphen.  Cyanobacteria are known as blue-green algae,
> where "blue" and "green" are individual adjectives which form a compound
> adjective to modify algae.  But, the hyphen is not used when the
> adjective is a proper noun.  One does not write, "I like New-York-City
> bagels".  In the same vein, Octave is a proper noun so I don't think it
> should be attached to Forge with a hyphen.
>
> --Rik
If there are no objections, I am going to change it to Octave Forge
during the weekend.

Oliver

Re: Octave Forge spelling

jbect