Re: Octave Geometry package problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave Geometry package problem

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
Thanks for your report.

> I have a problem installing the Geometry package on Win 7 64 bit under Octave 5.1.1, I get :-
>
The best place to report this things is in the bug tracker at savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave

> >> pkg install -forge geometry
> warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
> warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
> warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
> warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
> C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-NtTCSx:140: @bye seen before @end deftypefn
> For information about changes from previous versions of the geometry package, run 'news geometry'.

This is odd indeed, I do not see these messages.

> Oddly enough, it seems that some routines are there, but not most of them. For example rad2deg is there :-

rad2deg and the inverse are part of octave, they have been removed
from the geometry package, check with

which rad2deg

here I get
'rad2deg' is a function from the file
/usr/local/share/octave/5.1.1/m/general/rad2deg.m

> But not drawCircle :-
> >> drawCircle(100,100,20);
> error: 'drawCircle' undefined near line 1 column 1
> >> drawLine()
> error: 'drawLine' undefined near line 1 column 1
> >> drawBox
> error: 'drawBox' undefined near line 1 column 1
after installing a package you need to load it before is ready to use

pkg load geometry

to see what packages are installed check the output of

pkg list


Regards

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave Geometry package problem

siko1056
On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 8:44 AM Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your report.

> I have a problem installing the Geometry package on Win 7 64 bit under Octave 5.1.1, I get :-
>
The best place to report this things is in the bug tracker at savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave

> >> pkg install -forge geometry
> warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
> warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
> warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
> warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
> C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-NtTCSx:140: @bye seen before @end deftypefn
> For information about changes from previous versions of the geometry package, run 'news geometry'.

This is odd indeed, I do not see these messages.


@Juan: I see those messages as well.  The bug was already fixed (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?51017) two years ago, but no release has happened since then.  Forge grabs the unfixed version 3.0.0.  Do you plan some bugfix release [1]?

Best,
Kai

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Octave Geometry package problem

JohnD
In reply to this post by Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 08:43:31 +0200
> From: Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]>
> To: Andrew Cool <[hidden email]>, Maintainers GNU Octave
> <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Octave Geometry package problem
> Message-ID:
> <CABDtPkRzEebj=YV0xKdYs-gW7tFrQ23Nqihuhot1Ot-
> [hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Thanks for your report.
>
> > I have a problem installing the Geometry package on Win 7 64 bit under
> Octave 5.1.1, I get :-
> >
> The best place to report this things is in the bug tracker at savannah
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave
>
> > >> pkg install -forge geometry
> > warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
> > warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
> > warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
> > warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
> > C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-NtTCSx:140: @bye seen
> before @end deftypefn
> > For information about changes from previous versions of the geometry
> package, run 'news geometry'.
>
> This is odd indeed, I do not see these messages.
>
> > Oddly enough, it seems that some routines are there, but not most of
them.

> For example rad2deg is there :-
>
> rad2deg and the inverse are part of octave, they have been removed
> from the geometry package, check with
>
> which rad2deg
>
> here I get
> 'rad2deg' is a function from the file
> /usr/local/share/octave/5.1.1/m/general/rad2deg.m
>
> > But not drawCircle :-
> > >> drawCircle(100,100,20);
> > error: 'drawCircle' undefined near line 1 column 1
> > >> drawLine()
> > error: 'drawLine' undefined near line 1 column 1
> > >> drawBox
> > error: 'drawBox' undefined near line 1 column 1
> after installing a package you need to load it before is ready to use
>
> pkg load geometry
>
> to see what packages are installed check the output of
>
> pkg list
>
>
> Regards
>

I see warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file and @bye seen
before @end deftypefn warnings in win10 with 5.1.1

According the repo, the DESCRIPTION file error is fixed via
https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/geometry/ci/311b855168a67a0471572a353f96c2e
c4d800666/


polygonLoops.m has a double @deftypefn in the documentation which may be the
@bye warning - its not in the latest repo sources

In windows the geometry package should already be installed.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave Geometry package problem

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
In reply to this post by siko1056
Hi everybody,

I have published a new release candidate of geometry. The new package
for sure wont have this issues as its structure was simplified.
The package too look for now is matgeom[1], I checked that it is not
producing those errors in my installation, but any double check will
be appreciated.

[1]: https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/matgeom/ci/master/tree/

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 7:54 PM Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 8:44 AM Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your report.
>>
>> > I have a problem installing the Geometry package on Win 7 64 bit under Octave 5.1.1, I get :-
>> >
>> The best place to report this things is in the bug tracker at savannah
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave
>>
>> > >> pkg install -forge geometry
>> > warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
>> > warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
>> > warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
>> > warning: pkg: skipping invalid line in DESCRIPTION file
>> > C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-NtTCSx:140: @bye seen before @end deftypefn
>> > For information about changes from previous versions of the geometry package, run 'news geometry'.
>>
>> This is odd indeed, I do not see these messages.
>>
>
> @Juan: I see those messages as well.  The bug was already fixed (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?51017) two years ago, but no release has happened since then.  Forge grabs the unfixed version 3.0.0.  Do you plan some bugfix release [1]?
>
> Best,
> Kai
>
> [1] https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package-releases/search/?q=%21status%3Awont-fix+%26%26+%21status%3Aclosed

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave Geometry package problem

siko1056
On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 3:10 AM Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everybody,

I have published a new release candidate of geometry. The new package
for sure wont have this issues as its structure was simplified.
The package too look for now is matgeom[1], I checked that it is not
producing those errors in my installation, but any double check will
be appreciated.

[1]: https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/matgeom/ci/master/tree/


Dear Juan,

I cloned [1], built, and installed the OF-package successfully without errors or warnings in Octave 5.1.0.  Only when trying to test via running "tests/runAllTests.m" after loading your package I faced a problem. Namely that m-files moves to all subdirectories of that test folder of matgeom and calls the builtin function "runtests". I think the intention is to run all "test_*.m" files in that subdirectories. But instead, when calling "runtests" without arguments, it starts to test ALL functions on the Octave load path and does not run any of matgeoms test files.

Best,
Kai
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave Geometry package problem

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
> Dear Juan,
>
> I cloned [1], built, and installed the OF-package successfully without errors or warnings in Octave 5.1.0.  Only when trying to test via running "tests/runAllTests.m" after loading your package I faced a problem. Namely that m-files moves to all subdirectories of that test folder of matgeom and calls the builtin function "runtests". I think the intention is to run all "test_*.m" files in that subdirectories. But instead, when calling "runtests" without arguments, it starts to test ALL functions on the Octave load path and does not run any of matgeoms test files.
>
> Best,
> Kai

Dear Kai,

Thank you very much for investing time on this.
I have actually not yet integrated the upstream test in the octave
forge matgeom package. If you check the folder
'octave_pkg/OF/matgeom-1.0.0/inst' generated by 'make dist' you will
see they are not included in the distribution.
The problem is that there is an homonymous function in matlab [1],
that doesn't seem to be compatible with the builtin-in in octave. I
couldn't find a bug report on this, shall we make one? I think this is
a 'matlab compatibility' bug.
Matgeom is expecting the matlab behavior.

Regards,
JPi

[1]:https://ch.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/runtests.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave Geometry package problem

siko1056
On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 9:40 AM Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Juan,
>
> I cloned [1], built, and installed the OF-package successfully without errors or warnings in Octave 5.1.0.  Only when trying to test via running "tests/runAllTests.m" after loading your package I faced a problem. Namely that m-files moves to all subdirectories of that test folder of matgeom and calls the builtin function "runtests". I think the intention is to run all "test_*.m" files in that subdirectories. But instead, when calling "runtests" without arguments, it starts to test ALL functions on the Octave load path and does not run any of matgeoms test files.
>
> Best,
> Kai

Dear Kai,

Thank you very much for investing time on this.
I have actually not yet integrated the upstream test in the octave
forge matgeom package. If you check the folder
'octave_pkg/OF/matgeom-1.0.0/inst' generated by 'make dist' you will
see they are not included in the distribution.
The problem is that there is an homonymous function in matlab [1],
that doesn't seem to be compatible with the builtin-in in octave. I
couldn't find a bug report on this, shall we make one? I think this is
a 'matlab compatibility' bug.
Matgeom is expecting the matlab behavior.

Regards,
JPi

[1]:https://ch.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/runtests.html

Indeed, there is no bug report regarding the Matlab compatibility, so I opened https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?56325.  I just "misused" the test directory of matgeom, to have any hint about this package to work.  By just installing the package, I do not have any tests inside that package, thus no tests that do not work.

Best,
Kai
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave Geometry package problem

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
> I just "misused" the test directory of matgeom, to have any hint about this package to work.  By just installing the package, I do not have any tests inside that package, thus no tests that do not work.
>
Yes, thanks this has been in the backlog for many years now. For a
time I was thinking to add %!test bolcks that called the tests
function in the folder tests, but after all the issue I had with
syncing eith upstream I do not think that's a good idea anymore.

Thanks!