Re: Release 4.4 plans

Rik-4
I also concur that getting a release finalized by March is not likely.

On my list for 4.4 is slimming down the number of core functions.  There
are a lot of signal and statistics functions which should be moved from the
core to their respective packages.  I don't want to do that too early
because it will mean supporting two different versions of those packages.

--Rik

--Rik

Re: Release 4.4.2 plans

Rik-4
On 12/22/2017 01:14 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> If the consensus is that a 4.4 is a long way off, is there a possibility
> of an intermediate stable release? I believe this was brought up recently
> and a few desirable bug fixes were mentioned prior to doing so. I can't
> remember the version number that was considered though.

Yes, I believe a 4.4.2 release can be made whenever.  Given that work is
quieter around the holidays, and hence more time to devote to Octave, I
would think sometime around the New Year would be good.

--Rik

Re: Release 4.4.2 plans

Michael Godfrey

On 12/22/2017 09:31 PM, Rik wrote:
On 12/22/2017 01:14 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
If the consensus is that a 4.4 is a long way off, is there a possibility
of an intermediate stable release? I believe this was brought up recently
and a few desirable bug fixes were mentioned prior to doing so. I can't
remember the version number that was considered though.
Yes, I believe a 4.4.2 release can be made whenever.  Given that work is
quieter around the holidays, and hence more time to devote to Octave, I
would think sometime around the New Year would be good.

--Rik

Around the New Year would be great! This would imply a tight schedule
starting about now. There is a lot of new stuff in the current dev system
already!

Michael

Re: Release 4.4.2 plans

Rik-4
On 12/22/2017 01:35 PM, Michael D Godfrey wrote:

On 12/22/2017 09:31 PM, Rik wrote:
On 12/22/2017 01:14 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
If the consensus is that a 4.4 is a long way off, is there a possibility
of an intermediate stable release? I believe this was brought up recently
and a few desirable bug fixes were mentioned prior to doing so. I can't
remember the version number that was considered though.
Yes, I believe a 4.4.2 release can be made whenever.  Given that work is
quieter around the holidays, and hence more time to devote to Octave, I
would think sometime around the New Year would be good.

--Rik

Around the New Year would be great! This would imply a tight schedule
starting about now. There is a lot of new stuff in the current dev system
already!

Oops.  I mistyped.  I meant a 4.2.2 bug fix release of the stable branch.  4.4.0 is still a long ways off.

--Rik

I pretended that I did not notice:-):-)

Re: Release 4.4.2 plans

nrjank

On Dec 22, 2017 5:40 PM, "Michael D Godfrey" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 12/22/2017 10:08 PM, Rik wrote:
On 12/22/2017 01:35 PM, Michael D Godfrey wrote:

On 12/22/2017 09:31 PM, Rik wrote:
Oops.  I mistyped.  I meant a 4.2.2 bug fix release of the stable branch.  4.4.0 is still a long ways off.

--Rik
I pretended that I did not notice:-):-)

I'm just used to being confused.

Last release someone took on the task of making a bug checklist, and then he and others sorted into critical, nice to have, and can wait. I think he also tackled a lot of the bug reviews.

I think when it first came up i thought I might take a stab at compiling the first part, but I didn't expect to still be this behind finishing my dissertation, so I don't think I'll be that much help over the next month. Might be able to pick up a small task/bugfix here or there, though.

Nick j.