Quantcast

Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3

Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3

Mike Miller-4
On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 19:35:52 -0800, Michael L. Metts wrote:
> I've been attempting to build the current version of Octave on Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 7.3 and I'm running into some issues.  First, let me say
> that if there's a YUM repo out there that's complete, maintained and
> suitable for RHEL 7, please let me know.  I would much rather that than
> compiling myself.  I realize that there a maintained repo for Fedora but I
> wasn't sure that was kosher - i.e. this is a production machine and I'd like
> to either have or build nothing but clean apps with no broken features.

The current version of Octave is 4.2.1, but it looks like you are
building the development version from hg, is that right?

The best supported add-on repositories for CentOS / RHEL are the EPEL
repositories, which it looks like you are already using. EPEL 7 contains
a maintained package for Octave 3.8.2.

> All that said, I've been following these instructions here
> http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Red_Hat_Linux_systems and I get these
> errors from running ./configure:

These are warnings, not errors, just to be precise. An error message
would prevent you from continuing, these warn you that something may be
disabled in the resulting build, but Octave will build and run.

> configure: WARNING: QScintilla library not found; disabling built-in Qt GUI
> editor
>
> configure: WARNING: Sundials IDA library not configured with IDAKLU, ode15i
> and ode15s will not support the sparse Jacobian feature
>
> configure: WARNING: ARPACK not found.  The eigs function will be disabled.

[…]

> In any case, I've poked around a little (see below) and I'm not real clear
> on how to fix these issues so I can get a clean build.  If anyone can give
> me a few thoughts on all this, I would really appreciate it.

You have both arpack-devel and qscintilla-devel installed, it's not
clear from what you've shown why the libraries are not found, but
config.log should give more details.

I can't help much with the sundials warning, version 2.7.0 should be new
enough, but again config.log should give more details about what failed
and why. It may be that the sundials package for EPEL / Fedora is not
compiled with KLU support turned on.

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 21:20:24 -0800, Michael L. Metts wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me, Mike.  I'm definitely hoping to build
> and run Octave 4 and not the stuff that's in EPEL.  I understand that
> RHEL and Fedora have different bars (hurdles?) for what they will
> build and include ... although I can't understand why in this case
> since Octave 4 is more than a year old so it seems like it really
> should be in EPEL.

Yes but RHEL 7 is almost 3 years old. If you want a stable OS, that
implies that you won't get the latest versions of things.

> Yes, I am using whatever's in the hg repo.  Is that appropriate for
> what I'm doing?  What I'm doing, btw, is trying to get a clean stable
> Octave 4 running on RHEL 7.3 that doesn't have any broken features.

I would recommend that you try to get the latest released version
working, which is 4.2.1, from https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/.

> The ARPACK issue seems pretty bad to me.  Bad enough to not go
> forward.  The ARPACK and QScintilla issues have been frustrating since
> they're there but it can't find them or doesn't like them.
>
> Thanks for mentioning the log.  My software building skills are
> probably not that best.  I am motivated, though, we (at my firm)
> aren't that keen on the cost of Matlab.  I've used earlier versions of
> Octave on other platforms and really would like to get this going.  I
> appreciate the help.

Yes, check config.log, forward a compressed copy of the log file if you
need help finding the relevant details. There should be no problem with
the versions of arpack and qscintilla that you have installed.

Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3

Ozzy Lash
I recently installed octave from source on a fresh centos 7.3 install on a test server that I was setting up.  I did have some issues getting around some of the configure issues, and looking at the current output of a configure, it looks like I never got around this one:

configure: WARNING: Sundials IDA library not configured with IDAKLU, ode15i and ode15s will not support the sparse Jacobian feature

But was able to get around the arpack issue.  I vaguely remember the qscintilla issue, but I'm not sure what I did for it.

For the arpack issue, I think the issue is really that ATLAS on centos7.3 provides libtatlas.so and libsatlas.so, but not libatlas.so.  I think that libtatlas.so is the threaded version of the library, and libsatlas.so is the single threaded version. To work around this issue, I went to the directory:

/usr/lib64

and did a

ln -s atlas/libtatlas.so libatlas.so

There is probably a better solution.

l'll see if I can find what i did for the qscintilla issue.

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 11:20 PM, Michael L. Metts <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me, Mike.  I'm definitely hoping to build and run Octave 4 and not the stuff that's in EPEL.  I understand that RHEL and Fedora have different bars (hurdles?) for what they will build and include ... although I can't understand why in this case since Octave 4 is more than a year old so it seems like it really should be in EPEL.

Yes, I am using whatever's in the hg repo.  Is that appropriate for what I'm doing?  What I'm doing, btw, is trying to get a clean stable Octave 4 running on RHEL 7.3 that doesn't have any broken features.  The ARPACK issue seems pretty bad to me.  Bad enough to not go forward.  The ARPACK and QScintilla issues have been frustrating since they're there but it can't find them or doesn't like them.

Thanks for mentioning the log.  My software building skills are probably not that best.  I am motivated, though, we (at my firm) aren't that keen on the cost of Matlab.  I've used earlier versions of Octave on other platforms and really would like to get this going.  I appreciate the help.
There is no excellent beauty that hath not
some strangeness in the proportion.  - F. Bacon -

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 19:35:52 -0800, Michael L. Metts wrote:
> I've been attempting to build the current version of Octave on Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 7.3 and I'm running into some issues.  First, let me
> say that if there's a YUM repo out there that's complete, maintained
> and suitable for RHEL 7, please let me know.  I would much rather that
> than compiling myself.  I realize that there a maintained repo for
> Fedora but I wasn't sure that was kosher - i.e. this is a production
> machine and I'd like to either have or build nothing but clean apps with no broken features.

The current version of Octave is 4.2.1, but it looks like you are building the development version from hg, is that right?

The best supported add-on repositories for CentOS / RHEL are the EPEL repositories, which it looks like you are already using. EPEL 7 contains a maintained package for Octave 3.8.2.

> All that said, I've been following these instructions here
> http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Red_Hat_Linux_systems and I get
> these errors from running ./configure:

These are warnings, not errors, just to be precise. An error message would prevent you from continuing, these warn you that something may be disabled in the resulting build, but Octave will build and run.

> configure: WARNING: QScintilla library not found; disabling built-in
> Qt GUI editor
>
> configure: WARNING: Sundials IDA library not configured with IDAKLU,
> ode15i and ode15s will not support the sparse Jacobian feature
>
> configure: WARNING: ARPACK not found.  The eigs function will be disabled.

[…]

> In any case, I've poked around a little (see below) and I'm not real
> clear on how to fix these issues so I can get a clean build.  If
> anyone can give me a few thoughts on all this, I would really appreciate it.

You have both arpack-devel and qscintilla-devel installed, it's not clear from what you've shown why the libraries are not found, but config.log should give more details.

I can't help much with the sundials warning, version 2.7.0 should be new enough, but again config.log should give more details about what failed and why. It may be that the sundials package for EPEL / Fedora is not compiled with KLU support turned on.

Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3

Ozzy Lash
Compared to my config.log it looks like you are compiling against qt5, and it looks like I am using qt4.  While I see that a lot of qt5 stuff is available, I don't see qscintilla packages for qt5

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 12:13 AM, Michael L. Metts <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Mike.  My log is attached.  I'll switch to the release version you mentioned.  I'll also try what Ozzy mentions if the ARPACK thing comes up with that as well.  My log is attached.

There is no excellent beauty that hath not
some strangeness in the proportion.  - F. Bacon -

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 21:20:24 -0800, Michael L. Metts wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me, Mike.  I'm definitely hoping to build
> and run Octave 4 and not the stuff that's in EPEL.  I understand that
> RHEL and Fedora have different bars (hurdles?) for what they will
> build and include ... although I can't understand why in this case
> since Octave 4 is more than a year old so it seems like it really
> should be in EPEL.

Yes but RHEL 7 is almost 3 years old. If you want a stable OS, that implies that you won't get the latest versions of things.

> Yes, I am using whatever's in the hg repo.  Is that appropriate for
> what I'm doing?  What I'm doing, btw, is trying to get a clean stable
> Octave 4 running on RHEL 7.3 that doesn't have any broken features.

I would recommend that you try to get the latest released version working, which is 4.2.1, from https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/.

> The ARPACK issue seems pretty bad to me.  Bad enough to not go
> forward.  The ARPACK and QScintilla issues have been frustrating since
> they're there but it can't find them or doesn't like them.
>
> Thanks for mentioning the log.  My software building skills are
> probably not that best.  I am motivated, though, we (at my firm)
> aren't that keen on the cost of Matlab.  I've used earlier versions of
> Octave on other platforms and really would like to get this going.  I
> appreciate the help.

Yes, check config.log, forward a compressed copy of the log file if you need help finding the relevant details. There should be no problem with the versions of arpack and qscintilla that you have installed.

Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3

Ozzy Lash

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 12:54 AM, Michael L. Metts <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think qt4 and qt5 can be made to co-exist, but I'm not sure how easy it is in practice.

I've just been going through the configure with a clean install on a vitrualbox of centos 7.3, following the instructions on the http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Red_Hat_Linux_systems page.

Following those instructions if I add the following:

yum install librsvg2-tools icoutils bzip2-devel libsndfile-devel
yum install portaudio-devel mesa-libOSMesa-devel
yum install sundials-devel sundials-threads-devel

And do the trick that I mentioned before of:

cd /usr/lib64
ln -s atlas/libtatlas.so libatlas.so

The only configure warning I get is the IDAKLU warning.  Without those packages, I get:

configure: WARNING:

I didn't find icotool, but it's only a problem if you need to
reconstruct octave-logo.ico, which is the case if you're building from
VCS sources.

configure: WARNING:

I didn't find rsvg-convert, but it's only a problem if you need to
reconstruct octave-logo-*.png, which is the case if you're building
from VCS sources.

configure: WARNING: BZIP2 library not found.  Octave will not be able to compress or decompress bzip2 files.
configure: WARNING: sndfile library not found.  The audioinfo, audioread, and audiowrite functions will be disabled.
configure: WARNING: PortAudio library not found.  The audioplayer, audiorecorder, and audiodevinfo functions will be disabled.
configure: WARNING: OSMesa library not found.  Offscreen rendering with OpenGL will be disabled.
configure: WARNING: Sundials nvecserial library not found.  Solvers ode15i and ode15s will be disabled.
configure: WARNING: Sundials IDA library not found.  Solvers ode15i and ode15s will be disabled.
configure: WARNING: ARPACK not found.  The eigs function will be disabled.

Bill

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 22:54:12 -0800, Michael L. Metts wrote:
> Oh.  My log made it to you.  It bounced for someone.  I’ll dig some
> more tomorrow.  As far as I know, I have qt5 and no qt4 – I don’t
> really know them from a hole in the ground.  Below are rpm checks.
> Can qt4 and qt5 coexist?

Yes, there is no problem with having and using both Qt 4 and 5 on your
system. The problem is that Octave will prefer Qt 5, but there is no
qscintilla package built against Qt 5 for your OS, which explains why
you are getting the results you are.

I would recommend adding --with-qt=4 to your configure command.

I can't help with the arpack / atlas situation with EPEL, that seems
like a packaging bug, but if you can work around it and get it working,
go for it.

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 09:45:31 -0800, Michael Metts wrote:
> ha!  awesome.  i’m down to just the Sundials issue now.  so, Mike,
> should i switch to the build you recommended or is it okay
> (reasonable) to continue with the dev build from the hg repo?

I would say that unless you have a reason to use the dev version, you
should be using 4.2.1. And coincidentally the sundials support is not in
the 4.2 branch, so that warning will go away.

If you want to volunteer some time to help the devs figure out why the
sundials detection is not working on your system, I'm sure it would be
appreciated, but if you just want a working Octave, go with 4.2.1.

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 10:02:51 -0800, Michael Metts wrote:
> ok.  i’m doing a test build now.  i’ll download 4.2.1 and try the same
> techniques on that.  i looked at the Sundails site the other day and
> like Ozzy suggested it looks as though the Sundails I have from EPEL
> was compiled without the IDAKLU switch … even though i thought i read
> that it was the default.  i was tempted to build Sundials myself but
> maybe i’ll leave well enough alone at this point.

I think you're right, I have the log file you sent also, and it looks
the same as on my distribution (Debian testing), the sundials IDA
library is available, but IDAKLU is not. This is a fairly new feature in
both sundials and in Octave, so still shaking out.

> i would like to help out but i’m so terribly green at build/make and
> such.  it’s been years since i actually programmed in C or C++ … or
> even Fortran so i’d be embarrassed at the results i’d get with any
> serious mucking about with a build such as this.
>
> i would be open to being an ignorant build tester, though.  we are
> likely to focus on RHEL and AIX here at my firm indefinitely.  we have
> a lot of PhD, Finance and Econ folks that want and expect Matlab … but
> we’d rather not run it on RHEL.  it’s expensive enough on Windows.
> it’s possible that some RHEL Octave build here could become “mission
> critical” for some analysis in the future.  but for now, it’s more
> about showing/proving that this is a great or “good enough”
> alternative and the 48-core RHEL system will lure them in.
>
> thanks for all your help.  with the above in mind, let me know what
> you recommend re: me participating.

If you're willing to do occasionally build tests of the dev branch on
your RHEL+EPEL setup, I think that would be helpful to catch errors that
might otherwise go unnoticed until after a release. When I used to have
daily access to RHEL 5 and 6 at work, I would do this kind of occasional
build testing to make sure everything still works.

Even better would be a RHEL+EPEL system that could run a continuous
build script and integrate with our CI system
(http://buildbot.octave.org:8010/). We have plenty of Fedora and Debian
coverage, but we have not had anyone volunteer a CentOS or RHEL system
yet.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 09:45:31 -0800, Michael Metts wrote:
> ha!  awesome.  i’m down to just the Sundials issue now.  so, Mike,
> should i switch to the build you recommended or is it okay
> (reasonable) to continue with the dev build from the hg repo?

I would say that unless you have a reason to use the dev version, you
should be using 4.2.1. And coincidentally the sundials support is not in
the 4.2 branch, so that warning will go away.

If you want to volunteer some time to help the devs figure out why the
sundials detection is not working on your system, I'm sure it would be
appreciated, but if you just want a working Octave, go with 4.2.1.

It looks like the sundials package for epel does not build with KLU support.  I could submit a bug report for it, although I don't have a redhat bugzilla account, so I would need to create one.  It looks like it will pull in a dependency on the suitesparse-devel package  (I was able to compile it with KLU support in centos 7.3, but couldn't build an rpm because there are dependency issues with openmpi right now on centos7.3).

Bill

Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3

Ozzy Lash

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Michael Metts <[hidden email]> wrote:
i have a RedHat account.  if you tell me how, i’ll submit the bug report.

On Mar 2, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Ozzy Lash <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 09:45:31 -0800, Michael Metts wrote:
> ha!  awesome.  i’m down to just the Sundials issue now.  so, Mike,
> should i switch to the build you recommended or is it okay
> (reasonable) to continue with the dev build from the hg repo?

I would say that unless you have a reason to use the dev version, you
should be using 4.2.1. And coincidentally the sundials support is not in
the 4.2 branch, so that warning will go away.

If you want to volunteer some time to help the devs figure out why the
sundials detection is not working on your system, I'm sure it would be
appreciated, but if you just want a working Octave, go with 4.2.1.

It looks like the sundials package for epel does not build with KLU support.  I could submit a bug report for it, although I don't have a redhat bugzilla account, so I would need to create one.  It looks like it will pull in a dependency on the suitesparse-devel package  (I was able to compile it with KLU support in centos 7.3, but couldn't build an rpm because there are dependency issues with openmpi right now on centos7.3).

Bill

It looks like you could submit a bug report at:

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/sundials/bugs

and choose "Open a New Bug (EPEL)" button.

I'm not sure what questions it will ask after that, since that is where it told me to log in, and I don't have a lot of time right now.

I was able to include KLU support by installing the suitesparse-devel package, and adding the following defines on the cmake line:

-DKLU_ENABLE=ON -DKLU_LIBRARY_DIR:PATH=/usr/lib64

If you don't get around to it, I can probably report it tonight.

Bill

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 11:24:28 -0800, Michael Metts wrote:
> So I downloaded 4.2.1 from the ftp site and built it.  the build was
> clean but when i say ./run-octave get a command window that’s full of
> black dots.  when type, the characters are invisible.  if i press
> enter, the command is executed and appears in the command history pane
> but the command window itself is just a sea of black dots.  if i clear
> it, i can see the cursor to the top but all the dots are just as they
> were.  so close and yet so far.  i’ll run the make tests but i wonder
> if there’s something else i’m missing here.

We should take this to the bug tracker. There have been a handful of bug
reports about the command window being blank, but no definitive
resolution that I know of.

Can you file a bug report at
  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave

No need to create an account if you don't want to. Please give the
details about the Qt 4 package versions that you gave here, and attach a
screenshot if you can. I don't have a CentOS/RHEL 7 to try to reproduce
on at the moment, but maybe someone else can. If you pass "-cli" to
run-octave, you can use Octave in its original non-GUI form.

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 13:16:54 -0800, Michael Metts wrote:

> hey Mike.  if i SU to root and run ./run-octave it seems to work just
> fine - i.e. command window is NOT blank with black dots.  i’m still
> trying to figure out what the difference is.  where does Octave hide
> user settings?  for instance, when i ran it as root it gave me the
> intro screens.  when run it as myself it doesn’t not.  i’m wondering
> if there’s some old file that i should erase.  all i found in ~/ was
> .octave_hist …
>
> i’m happy to open a bug report too.  i tried comparing the results of
> env > myenv side by side to see if there’s something funny about root
> vs. me … nothing i didn’t already know about or expect.  i’ll keep
> digging.

Try deleting the ~/.config/octave directory. This is where various GUI
preferences are stored. It's possible an old settings file is giving the
latest version problems.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Ozzy Lash <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Michael Metts <[hidden email]> wrote:
i have a RedHat account.  if you tell me how, i’ll submit the bug report.

On Mar 2, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Ozzy Lash <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 09:45:31 -0800, Michael Metts wrote:
> ha!  awesome.  i’m down to just the Sundials issue now.  so, Mike,
> should i switch to the build you recommended or is it okay
> (reasonable) to continue with the dev build from the hg repo?

I would say that unless you have a reason to use the dev version, you
should be using 4.2.1. And coincidentally the sundials support is not in
the 4.2 branch, so that warning will go away.

If you want to volunteer some time to help the devs figure out why the
sundials detection is not working on your system, I'm sure it would be
appreciated, but if you just want a working Octave, go with 4.2.1.

It looks like the sundials package for epel does not build with KLU support.  I could submit a bug report for it, although I don't have a redhat bugzilla account, so I would need to create one.  It looks like it will pull in a dependency on the suitesparse-devel package  (I was able to compile it with KLU support in centos 7.3, but couldn't build an rpm because there are dependency issues with openmpi right now on centos7.3).

Bill

It looks like you could submit a bug report at:

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/sundials/bugs

and choose "Open a New Bug (EPEL)" button.

I'm not sure what questions it will ask after that, since that is where it told me to log in, and I don't have a lot of time right now.

I was able to include KLU support by installing the suitesparse-devel package, and adding the following defines on the cmake line:

-DKLU_ENABLE=ON -DKLU_LIBRARY_DIR:PATH=/usr/lib64

If you don't get around to it, I can probably report it tonight.

Bill

I went ahead and created an account (it was a lot less painful than I figured).  I filed a bug report to add KLU support to sundials.  If you are interested, see: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1428644

Bill

Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3

Ozzy Lash

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Michael L. Metts <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sounds good.  Thanks.

There is no excellent beauty that hath not

some strangeness in the proportion.  - F. Bacon -

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Ozzy Lash <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Michael Metts <[hidden email]> wrote:

i have a RedHat account.  if you tell me how, i’ll submit the bug report.

On Mar 2, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Ozzy Lash <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 09:45:31 -0800, Michael Metts wrote:
> ha!  awesome.  i’m down to just the Sundials issue now.  so, Mike,
> should i switch to the build you recommended or is it okay
> (reasonable) to continue with the dev build from the hg repo?

I would say that unless you have a reason to use the dev version, you
should be using 4.2.1. And coincidentally the sundials support is not in
the 4.2 branch, so that warning will go away.

If you want to volunteer some time to help the devs figure out why the
sundials detection is not working on your system, I'm sure it would be
appreciated, but if you just want a working Octave, go with 4.2.1.

It looks like the sundials package for epel does not build with KLU support.  I could submit a bug report for it, although I don't have a redhat bugzilla account, so I would need to create one.  It looks like it will pull in a dependency on the suitesparse-devel package  (I was able to compile it with KLU support in centos 7.3, but couldn't build an rpm because there are dependency issues with openmpi right now on centos7.3).

Bill

It looks like you could submit a bug report at:

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/sundials/bugs

and choose "Open a New Bug (EPEL)" button.

I'm not sure what questions it will ask after that, since that is where it told me to log in, and I don't have a lot of time right now.

I was able to include KLU support by installing the suitesparse-devel package, and adding the following defines on the cmake line:

-DKLU_ENABLE=ON -DKLU_LIBRARY_DIR:PATH=/usr/lib64

If you don't get around to it, I can probably report it tonight.

Bill

I went ahead and created an account (it was a lot less painful than I figured).  I filed a bug report to add KLU support to sundials.  If you are interested, see: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1428644

Bill

It looks like the updated sundials packages that support KLU have been pushed to the EPEL7 repository, I was able to configure a few weeks old mercurial pull and octave configured ok on my centos 7 install.  It looks like it was also pushed to EPEL6 and some of the later fedora repositories as well.

Bill

Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3

Ozzy Lash

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 1:35 AM, Michael L. Metts <[hidden email]> wrote:

You are correct, the EPEL repository is shared by RHEL and Centos.  If I read the bug report correctly, the repositories that have been updated are fc24, fc25, fc26, epel6 and epel7, so RHEL 6 and 7, Centos 6 and 7 and Fedora Core 24, 25, and 26 should be updated.

Bill

Re: Trying to compile Octave on RHEL 7.3

Ozzy Lash

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:52 PM, Michael Metts <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, maybe the is greedy but what about —enable-64?  I would like to compile Octave for 64-bit addressing including BLAS/etc.  I tried a configure with —enable-64 and it looks like array addressing/etc. made it but openBLAS has a “NO” for 64-bit addressing.  I looked at the documentation for this and became very confused.  All or nearly all of the libraries on my system are in /lib64 or /usr/lib64  … As far as I know, the vast majority of the binaries on this system are 64-bit.  In any case, it appears that the one flag is insufficient and I can’t figure out the documentation.  is there a bit more direct cookbook for building a pure 64-bit octave?  Thanks.

No guarantees, but this let me get through configure and gave:

   64-bit array dims and indexing:       yes
  64-bit BLAS array dims and indexing:  yes

on centos 7.

On the configure line I added:

--with-blas=openblas64 FFLAGS=-fdefault-integer-8

without the FFLAGS it would fail to configure.  I have not compiled or tested octave with this change, but thought it might get you further.

Bill

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 20:11:13 -0700, Michael Metts wrote:
> awesome.  i’ll give it a try.  i really think it’s important to get
> this thing on an equal footing with the other tools (R, Python).  i’m
> not a developer but i can’t see why all this 32-bit baggage is still
> around.  64-bit processors and operating systems have been in common
> use for only about a decade after all.

If you do want to understand, I have found this a useful resource

  http://www.unix.org/version2/whatsnew/lp64_wp.html