Re: Why doesn't the command "set function style lines" work?

Re: Why doesn't the command "set function style lines" work?

John Eaton-3
On Tue, 18 May 93 18:49:51 BST, [hidden email] wrote:

: When I use gnuplot without octave,
: the command "set function style something" works completely.
: But, when I use the command in octave, it doesn't work.
: The style isn't change from "points".

Since Octave is plotting data from a temporary file instead of
plotting functions, you need to use the command `set data style lines'
instead of `set function style lines'.

: When the command is entered, octave doesn't display any messages.

Octave doesn't look at the `set' and `show' commands -- they are
passed directly to the gnuplot subprocess, and gnuplot accepts the
command.

I suppose it might be worth it to do some processing on the set and
show commands, but I haven't had the time to do it yet (actually, I'm
trying to avoid having to reimplement *all* of gnuplot front end
inside of Octave...).

John W. Eaton      | The exam demonstrates a comminuted, slightly overlapping
[hidden email] | angulated fracture of the midfifth metatarsal.

Why doesn't the command "set function style lines" work?

che6yoh
Dear Dr. J. W. Eaton,

Thank you very much for your very prompt reply.

  >: When I use gnuplot without octave,
  >: the command "set function style something" works completely.
  >: But, when I use the command in octave, it doesn't work.
  >: The style isn't change from "points".
  >
  >Since Octave is plotting data from a temporary file instead of
  >plotting functions, you need to use the command `set data style lines'
  >instead of `set function style lines'.

I am very sorry.
This was a FAQ, wasn't it?

Yours Sincerely,

Yoshihiro Hashimoto
Dept. of Systems Eng., Nagoya Inst. of Tech. 466 Japan