Quantcast

Re: Why isn't Symbolic included in Octave from the installation? - Windows

Re: Why isn't Symbolic included in Octave from the installation? - Windows

Colin Macdonald-2
Danial,

I've replied with [hidden email] CC'd.  Hope that's ok!

On 18/02/17 00:25, Daniel Mårtensson wrote:
> When I try to install your symbolic package why throught the command pkg
> install -forge symbolic I got this message.
 >
 >> pkg install -forge symbolc
 >> error: get_forge_pkg: could not read URL, please verify internet
connection

Don't think that's related to Symbolic.  I wonder if the
octave.sourceforge.io was down for a while or something like that.  Try
again later?

> But to install Symbolic I need to install by using this command  (Need
> to be Administratior)
 >
 >> Use of uninitialized value in lc at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/utf8_heavy.pl
line 123.

The utf8_heavy.pl thing is known, I think its because the Octave package
for windows uses an old Perl.  Hopefully it will be fixed in the next
release of Octave.

> Would it not be good if Symbolic is allready included in the
> installation package? The other packages for the Windows installation
> are included.

You mean in the Octave installation package I assume.  I think that's a
decision that is made by whoever is making the Windows packages.
Possibly Symbolic has been changing quickly recently so that might be a
good reason not to bundle it.  That and increasing the size of the
resulting install file.  Of course, its possible Symbolic could get
added in a later release.

> And as allways. Thank you for developing this package.

You're welcome.  Please report any problems, and help us make it better
if you can!

best,
Colin

Re: Why isn't Symbolic included in Octave from the installation? - Windows

Mike Miller-4
On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 17:21:56 -0800, Colin Macdonald wrote:

> Danial,
>
> I've replied with [hidden email] CC'd.  Hope that's ok!
>
> On 18/02/17 00:25, Daniel Mårtensson wrote:
> > When I try to install your symbolic package why throught the command pkg
> > install -forge symbolic I got this message.
> >
> >> pkg install -forge symbolc
> >> error: get_forge_pkg: could not read URL, please verify internet
> connection
>
> Don't think that's related to Symbolic.  I wonder if the
> octave.sourceforge.io was down for a while or something like that.  Try
> again later?

This is because Octave 4.2.0 for Windows (and older versions, I think)
does not have https support enabled in the curl library that Octave
uses. Octave Forge switched to https a couple of months ago. The Octave
4.2.1 build should support https correctly.

> > Would it not be good if Symbolic is allready included in the
> > installation package? The other packages for the Windows installation
> > are included.
>
> You mean in the Octave installation package I assume.  I think that's a
> decision that is made by whoever is making the Windows packages. Possibly
> Symbolic has been changing quickly recently so that might be a good reason
> not to bundle it.  That and increasing the size of the resulting install
> file.  Of course, its possible Symbolic could get added in a later release.

We would also have to include a complete Python + SymPy installation
bundled with Octave to make the package useful.

Re: Why isn't Symbolic included in Octave from the installation? - Windows

NJank

On Feb 19, 2017 8:22 PM, "Colin Macdonald" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Danial,
>
> I've replied with [hidden email] CC'd.  Hope that's ok!
>
> On 18/02/17 00:25, Daniel Mårtensson wrote:
>>
>> When I try to install your symbolic package why throught the command pkg
>> install -forge symbolic I got this message.
>

> >> pkg install -forge symbolc
> >> error: get_forge_pkg: could not read URL, please verify internet connection

There is a current, known bug with the Windows version of pkg. It's not possible to use the -forge option or update due to security certificate issues. The bug has been fixed and will be part of the next release. Until then you can download and install package files manually.

>> Would it not be good if Symbolic is allready included in the
>> installation package? The other packages for the Windows installation
>> are included.

From what I've seen Symbolic is a bit more complicated to install because it may need to tie into external software (python), and it doesn't know where that might be located. There is an all in one bundled version that could be included, but for some reason they chose not to. Perhaps some people would prefer the ability to tie to their existing python install rather than using the bundled one? In anybcase you should be able to grab either one and install it manually.

Nick J.

Re: Why isn't Symbolic included in Octave from the installation? - Windows

tmacchant