Re: inquiry about reuse of Octave Jekyll theme

Re: inquiry about reuse of Octave Jekyll theme

siko1056
Dear Tom,

Thanks for considering the Octave website design for your software project as well.  Regarding the licensing issue, the website follows the convention of the Free Software Foundation [1], where all pages are licensed under the CC BY-ND.  See at the bottom of each page for an explanation.

To my understanding the licence refers to the content of the page and the Octave website design, mostly the connection to existing free/libre CSS- and JS-frameworks, is published under the terms of the GPLv3 [2].  Alex, the original author of the new website design did not use special license for his original work [3].  Maybe a separate LICENSE file in the current working repository [4] would state this intention clearer.

Thus if neither Alex nor John protest, you should feel free to make use of Alex's work to improve your website.

Best regards,
Kai

[3] https://github.com/alexkrolick/octave-web
[4] https://hg.octave.org/web-octave/

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 1:32 AM Tom Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, my name is Tom Henderson and I am lead maintainer of the ns-3 simulator project (https://www.nsnam.org), also a GPL project.  We would like to replace our Wordpress site with something more modern and mobile-responsive, and in looking around at other scientific computing projects, the site theme for Octave resonated with us.

I noticed that the Octave web sources are maintained online with at CC-SA No-Derivatives license and was wondering whether the license pertained to site content and underlying theme or just the content?  I would conservatively assume both, but just thought I'd ask whether you would be willing to consider letting the ns-3 project somehow reuse the theme, as it would save me some work from generating a similar one.

If Octave obtained the theme from some other source that we could fork from, that would also be of possible interest to us.

Thanks,
Tom

Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Re: inquiry about reuse of Octave Jekyll theme

No objection from me either.

As far as I'm concerned, the no derivative works license should be
considered to apply to the content of the web site.  We don't want to
have modified versions of the Octave web site appear somewhere that may
contain info that could misrepresent the Octave project.  But apart from
things that could be identified as specific to Octave like logos,
colors, or other "branding", then I hope you can take advantage of it if
you find it useful.

jwe

On 01/31/2018 01:18 PM, Alex wrote:

> I have no objections to reusing the theme for other free software
> projects. Glad you liked it. The blue accent color is the Octave color,
> so you should adjust that.
>
> - Alex Krolick
>

> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018, 02:11 Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Tom,
>
>     Thanks for considering the Octave website design for your software
>     project as well.  Regarding the licensing issue, the website follows
>     the convention of the Free Software Foundation [1], where all pages
>     are licensed under the CC BY-ND.  See at the bottom of each page for
>     an explanation.
>
>     To my understanding the licence refers to the content of the page
>     and the Octave website design, mostly the connection to existing
>     free/libre CSS- and JS-frameworks, is published under the terms of
>     the GPLv3 [2].  Alex, the original author of the new website design
>     did not use special license for his original work [3].  Maybe a
>     separate LICENSE file in the current working repository [4] would
>     state this intention clearer.
>
>     Thus if neither Alex nor John protest, you should feel free to make
>     use of Alex's work to improve your website.
>
>     Best regards,
>     Kai
>
>     [1] https://www.fsf.org
>     [2] https://hg.octave.org/web-octave/file/tip/license.md
>     [3] https://github.com/alexkrolick/octave-web
>     [4] https://hg.octave.org/web-octave/
>
>     On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 1:32 AM Tom Henderson
>
>         Hello, my name is Tom Henderson and I am lead maintainer of the
>         ns-3 simulator project (https://www.nsnam.org), also a GPL
>         project.  We would like to replace our Wordpress site with
>         something more modern and mobile-responsive, and in looking
>         around at other scientific computing projects, the site theme
>         for Octave resonated with us.
>
>         I noticed that the Octave web sources are maintained online with
>         at CC-SA No-Derivatives license and was wondering whether the
>         license pertained to site content and underlying theme or just
>         the content?  I would conservatively assume both, but just
>         thought I'd ask whether you would be willing to consider letting
>         the ns-3 project somehow reuse the theme, as it would save me
>         some work from generating a similar one.
>
>         If Octave obtained the theme from some other source that we
>         could fork from, that would also be of possible interest to us.
>
>         Thanks,
>         Tom

Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Re: inquiry about reuse of Octave Jekyll theme

Tom Henderson
John, Alex, and Kai,
Thank you very much for your agreement.  I will try to make it stand apart from Octave's page elements so that it does not look lazily copied.  I would also like to provide attribution, such as a footer note "Site design courtesy of the GNU Octave project" or some other attribution statement if you would like to suggest something.  I'll let you know when it is staged for review before we launch it.

Thank you for also pointing me to the FSF guidance; how to license our web site content appropriately has always been a question in my mind.

- Tom