Re: manually installing packages

nrjank
> Is there any other way to get the communications package running with
> manual installation? Background: I can not use the python installer due
> to a lack of admin rights.

what exactly do you mean 'manual installation'?  I almost always use
the zip-file to install Octave. This does not require Administrative
permissions if you install to permitted space on the disk. Then
installing/updating most packages give little problem. Certain
packages aren't compatible/can't be built on Windows, but I didn't
think communications was one of those. Unless I'm mistaken, either of
the following should work:

>>pkg install -forge communications
or
>>pkg install communications-.tar.gz

Both the zip and exe installers come with the communications package,
among others.  For the zip package you need to type 'pkg rebuild'
after installing so Octave can see all of the pre-installed packages.

Nick J.

Re: manually installing packages

Jürgen
This post was updated on .
>>pkg install -forge communications

leaves me with this error message (how to modify URL, which URL?)

error: get_forge_pkg: could not read URL, please verify internet connection
error: called from
    get_forge_pkg at line 66 column 7
    get_forge_download at line 26 column 12
    pkg at line 382 column 29

>>pkg install communications-.tar.gz

results in the error message

pkg: error running `make' for the communications package.
error: called from
    configure_make at line 95 column 9
    install at line 192 column 7
    pkg at line 394 column 9

Installing some other packages (signal, control, general, io) was ok.

[Please see also  this thread
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Problem-installing-communications-package-td4684834.html
. Sorry for double posting!]