Re: octave, the Summer of Code Project

JuanPi
On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:58 AM, 易宇轩 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sir,
>
> Sorry to bother you. I’m writing to learn more about the project of
> implementing boolean operations on polygons of octave in the Summer of Code
> Project.
>
> I’ve just subscribed the mailing list octave-maintainers-request. Someone
> shared his code on GitHub, and I’ve looked through it. But I still don’t
> know about the main problem we need to settle at present. How’s the project
> going now and what’s others’ ideas?
>
> I’m looking forward to your reply, and would you mind offering me the mail
> address of John Swensen, the mentor of this project? Thanks a million!

Hello,

You shouldn't write to us personally, but to the mailing list. If you
look carefully you will see we told this already to the other
prospective students.
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/GSoC-2017-Implement-boolean-operations-on-polygons-tt4682161.html

The problem is generally stated as adding the operations to the
geometry package. This entails one or more of the following (or some
other things that a proactive student might come up with)
1. Clear the already implemented Boost interface
2. Add interface to CGAL
3. Add a complete interface to Clipper

There have been other proposals, you are free to propose your own and
we will select what we consider the most doable and useful. We are
definitely interested in the above.
At this stage the best is to show us that you can contribute to
octave, by sending us some patches or code, as you saw in the mailing
list. In the savanah tracker you will find the current status of the
Clipper interface contributed by Philip Neuhuis

JuanPi Carbajal
Public GnuPG key: 9C5B72BF
-----
"Why is thought, being a secretion of the brain, more wonderful than
gravity, a property of matter?"
- C. Darwin

Re: Re: octave, the Summer of Code Project

易宇轩
OK, Sir, I see, and thank you again!

在2017-03-19 22:14:54,易宇轩<[hidden email]>写道:

> On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:58 AM, 易宇轩 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Sir,
> >
> > Sorry to bother you. I’m writing to learn more about the project of
> > implementing boolean operations on polygons of octave in the Summer of Code
> > Project.
> >
> > I’ve just subscribed the mailing list octave-maintainers-request. Someone
> > shared his code on GitHub, and I’ve looked through it. But I still don’t
> > know about the main problem we need to settle at present. How’s the project
> > going now and what’s others’ ideas?
> >
> > I’m looking forward to your reply, and would you mind offering me the mail
> > address of John Swensen, the mentor of this project? Thanks a million!
>
> Hello,
>
> You shouldn't write to us personally, but to the mailing list. If you
> look carefully you will see we told this already to the other
> prospective students.
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/GSoC-2017-Implement-boolean-operations-on-polygons-tt4682161.html
>
> The problem is generally stated as adding the operations to the
> geometry package. This entails one or more of the following (or some
> other things that a proactive student might come up with)
> 1. Clear the already implemented Boost interface
> 2. Add interface to CGAL
> 3. Add a complete interface to Clipper
>
> There have been other proposals, you are free to propose your own and
> we will select what we consider the most doable and useful. We are
> definitely interested in the above.
> At this stage the best is to show us that you can contribute to
> octave, by sending us some patches or code, as you saw in the mailing
> list. In the savanah tracker you will find the current status of the
> Clipper interface contributed by Philip Neuhuis
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> JuanPi Carbajal
> Public GnuPG key: 9C5B72BF
> -----
> "Why is thought, being a secretion of the brain, more wonderful than
> gravity, a property of matter?"
> - C. Darwin

Re: octave, the Summer of Code Project

Philip Nienhuis
JuanPi wrote
On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:58 AM, 易宇轩 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sir,
>
> Sorry to bother you. I’m writing to learn more about the project of
> implementing boolean operations on polygons of octave in the Summer of Code
> Project.
>
> I’ve just subscribed the mailing list octave-maintainers-request. Someone
> shared his code on GitHub, and I’ve looked through it. But I still don’t
> know about the main problem we need to settle at present. How’s the project
> going now and what’s others’ ideas?
>
> I’m looking forward to your reply, and would you mind offering me the mail
> address of John Swensen, the mentor of this project? Thanks a million!

Hello,

You shouldn't write to us personally, but to the mailing list. If you
look carefully you will see we told this already to the other
prospective students.
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/GSoC-2017-Implement-boolean-operations-on-polygons-tt4682161.html

The problem is generally stated as adding the operations to the
geometry package. This entails one or more of the following (or some
other things that a proactive student might come up with)
1. <....>
2. <....>
3. Add a complete interface to Clipper
There is already a more or less complete interface to Clipper; as of lately even one and a half :-) All that is needed it some polishing of the last bits. Let's discuss that during OctConf 2017.

Philip

Re: octave, the Summer of Code Project

Leo Yi
Sir,
I'm Leo Yi, a sophomore in Computer science at Peking University, China. And I’m the very one who mailed to you personally instead of to the mailing list. Do you enjoy OctConf 2017?
I’ve been reading some papers about Boolean operations on polygons. Eh, I don’t intend to put any links here because they are written in Chinese and have almost nothing special... I notice that what you’ve been talking about is the library and interface stuff. Does that mean the main problem at present is not about algorithm but only integrating?
I’m not familiar with Nabble.com, and my post is pending, so I send my question again by email.
Please tell me, so that I can contribute more rather than waste time going in the wrong way. Thanks!

Re: octave, the Summer of Code Project

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 5:25 PM, 4 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sir,
> I'm Leo Yi, a sophomore in Computer science at Peking University, China. And
> I’m the very one who mailed to you personally instead of to the mailing
> list. Do you enjoy OctConf 2017?
> I’ve been reading some papers about Boolean operations on polygons. Eh, I
> don’t intend to put any links here because they are written in Chinese and
> have almost nothing special... I notice that what you’ve been talking about
> is the library and interface stuff. Does that mean the main problem at
> present is not about algorithm but only integrating?
> I’m not familiar with Nabble.com, and my post is pending, so I send my
> question again by email.
> Please tell me, so that I can contribute more rather than waste time going
> in the wrong way. Thanks!

Hello,

Yes, currently what we need has been already implemente din several
C++ libraries. So re-implementing doesn't sound sensible.