Re: spelling of "Octave Forge"

Rik-4
On 08/29/2018 03:50 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Re: Octave Forge spelling
From:
Oliver Heimlich [hidden email]
Date:
08/28/2018 01:18 PM
To:
[hidden email]
Message:
2

On 28.08.2018 21:30, Rik wrote:
On 08/28/2018 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout
From:
Mike Miller [hidden email]
Date:
08/27/2018 01:20 PM

To:
[hidden email]

protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="orO6xySwJI16pVnm"
Message:
2

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 20:20:59 +0200, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
throughout the website there had been different styles of spelling.
Now it is Octave-Forge everywhere, but this was no deliberate
decision.
There are also different spellings throughout the Octave source tree
that I would like to see resolved.

Would it be better to spell Octave Forge?
It's probably a matter of preference, taste, and maybe culture or native
language. I personally prefer "Octave Forge", but I see "Octave-Forge"
used a lot so maybe more people prefer it. I don't claim any authority
over what it should be. I just like consistency :)
My preference is also "Octave Forge".  Can we just go with that?

There are actually reasonable grammar rules that suggest "Octave
Forge".  In English, compound adjectives can be made by linking two
adjectives with a hyphen.  Cyanobacteria are known as blue-green algae,
where "blue" and "green" are individual adjectives which form a compound
adjective to modify algae.  But, the hyphen is not used when the
adjective is a proper noun.  One does not write, "I like New-York-City
bagels".  In the same vein, Octave is a proper noun so I don't think it
should be attached to Forge with a hyphen.

--Rik
If there are no objections, I am going to change it to Octave Forge
during the weekend.

Oliver
I just updated core Octave to use the spelling "Octave Forge" in this cset: https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/07cb3e098c0a.

A quick one-liner for making the change is

perl -i.bak -pe 's/Octave-Forge/Octave Forge/ig' *

--Rik

Re: spelling of "Octave Forge"

Oliver Heimlich
On 29.08.2018 18:55, Rik wrote:
> I just updated core Octave to use the spelling "Octave Forge" in this
> cset: https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/07cb3e098c0a.
>
> A quick one-liner for making the change is
>
> perl -i.bak -pe 's/Octave-Forge/Octave Forge/ig' *
>
> --Rik

Thanks for the script, the spelling has been changed on the OF website.

https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/project-web/ci/a987c532b4c9029794585ddd7ac128158964d5c6/

Oliver