Re: statistics 1.4.0 release

Orion Poplawski-2
On 05/19/2018 05:18 AM, John Donoghue wrote:

> A new release of Statistics package has been made on Octave forge
> and is available for download. [1]
>
> Changes in this version include the conditional install of the
> statistics function removed from Octave 4.4.
>
> See the news file for full changes in this release. [2]
>

> [1] https://octave.sourceforge.io/statistics/index.html
> [2] https://octave.sourceforge.io/statistics/NEWS.html

I'm starting to look at updating the Fedora octave-statistics package to
1.4.0.  It appears that the addition of a configure script triggers
octave to treat it as an arch-specific package even though there are no
compiled binaries.  Is there any desire to try to avoid this?

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems          720-772-5637
Boulder, CO 80301                 https://www.nwra.com/

Re: statistics 1.4.0 release

John Donoghue-3
On 06/18/2018 12:23 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:

> On 05/19/2018 05:18 AM, John Donoghue wrote:
>> A new release of Statistics package has been made on Octave forge
>> and is available for download. [1]
>>
>> Changes in this version include the conditional install of the
>> statistics function removed from Octave 4.4.
>>
>> See the news file for full changes in this release. [2]
>>

>> [1] https://octave.sourceforge.io/statistics/index.html
>> [2] https://octave.sourceforge.io/statistics/NEWS.html
>
> I'm starting to look at updating the Fedora octave-statistics package
> to 1.4.0.  It appears that the addition of a configure script triggers
> octave to treat it as an arch-specific package even though there are
> no compiled binaries.  Is there any desire to try to avoid this?

There needed to be a way detect if being installed in a cross compiled
environment, installed for windows and then install a number of
functions conditionally on whether they already exist in octave.

I dont know of any plans to change it if it works, however if someone
comes up with a better method ...

Re: statistics 1.4.0 release

Mike Miller-4
On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 06:58:47 -0400, John Donoghue wrote:
> On 06/18/2018 12:23 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > I'm starting to look at updating the Fedora octave-statistics package to
> > 1.4.0.  It appears that the addition of a configure script triggers
> > octave to treat it as an arch-specific package even though there are no
> > compiled binaries.  Is there any desire to try to avoid this?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The presence of a configure script
causes Octave to run the configure script. I'm not sure that Octave does
anything that makes it an "arch-specific package". The octave-statistics
package in Debian is arch:all.

> There needed to be a way detect if being installed in a cross compiled
> environment, installed for windows and then install a number of functions
> conditionally on whether they already exist in octave.

Having a makefile and/or configure script is the right and only way to
do this at the moment.

Re: statistics 1.4.0 release

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2018-06-18 10:15 AM, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 06:58:47 -0400, John Donoghue wrote:
>> On 06/18/2018 12:23 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>>> I'm starting to look at updating the Fedora octave-statistics package to
>>> 1.4.0.  It appears that the addition of a configure script triggers
>>> octave to treat it as an arch-specific package even though there are no
>>> compiled binaries.  Is there any desire to try to avoid this? >
> I'm not sure what you mean by this. The presence of a configure script
> causes Octave to run the configure script. I'm not sure that Octave does
> anything that makes it an "arch-specific package". The octave-statistics
> package in Debian is arch:all.

Orion,

Just in case this helps, the Symbolic package used to have a ./configure
script and yet it was still a "noarch" Fedora package.  E.g.,

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=825299

Colin