Re: texinfo errors

Rik-4
On 01/04/2019 01:55 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
Subject:
Finding texinfo errors in OF package docs
From:
PhilipNienhuis [hidden email]
Date:
01/04/2019 01:42 PM
To:
[hidden email]
7bit
Message:
6

Hi,

During trial installations of OF mapping package several texinfo errors are
reported along these lines:

:
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-IEvLoR:126: misplaced {
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-IEvLoR:126: misplaced }
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-HwNhIo:167: @itemx not
meaningful inside `@itemize'
 block
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-zB6z2B:147: @itemx not
meaningful inside `@itemize'
 block
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-zB6z2B:165: @itemx not
meaningful inside `@itemize'
 block
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-bkikP8:141: @bye seen before
@end deftypefn
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-JbGWy4:117: unknown command
`deftypefx'
For information about changes from previous versions of the mapping package,
run 'news mapping'.
Obviously I'd like to fix those errors but there's no clue as to which
function files the error messages belong, and the mentioned (temporary)
files disappear as soon as texinfo is done with the function files, i.e.
faster than I can lock them with e.g., a text editor.
IOW, these error messages are by no means helpful.

Any hints on how I can get more info about what texinfo errors to fix in
which function files?

Thanks,

Philip
Try temporarily modifying your copy of scripts/help/__makeinfo__.m.  Specifically, comment out line 154 where the temporary file is deleted.

  unwind_protect_cleanup
    if (exist (name, "file"))
      #delete (name);
    endif
  end_unwind_protect

Then re-run.

--Rik

Re: texinfo errors

PhilipNienhuis
Rik wrote:

>> Subject:
>> Finding texinfo errors in OF package docs
>> From:
>> PhilipNienhuis <[hidden email]>
>> Date:
>> 01/04/2019 01:42 PM
>>
>> To:
>> [hidden email]

>> 7bit
>> Message:
>> 6
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> During trial installations of OF mapping package several texinfo errors are
>> reported along these lines:
>>
>> :
>> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-IEvLoR:126: misplaced {
>> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-IEvLoR:126: misplaced }
>> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-HwNhIo:167: @itemx not
>> meaningful inside `@itemize'
>>  block
>> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-zB6z2B:147: @itemx not
>> meaningful inside `@itemize'
>>  block
>> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-zB6z2B:165: @itemx not
>> meaningful inside `@itemize'
>>  block
>> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-bkikP8:141: @bye seen before
>> @end deftypefn
>> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-JbGWy4:117: unknown command
>> `deftypefx'
>> For information about changes from previous versions of the mapping package,
>> run 'news mapping'.
>> Obviously I'd like to fix those errors but there's no clue as to which
>> function files the error messages belong, and the mentioned (temporary)
>> files disappear as soon as texinfo is done with the function files, i.e.
>> faster than I can lock them with e.g., a text editor.
>> IOW, these error messages are by no means helpful.
>>
>> Any hints on how I can get more info about what texinfo errors to fix in
>> which function files?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Philip
> Try temporarily modifying your copy of scripts/help/__makeinfo__.m.
> Specifically, comment out line 154 where the temporary file is deleted.
>
>   unwind_protect_cleanup
>     if (exist (name, "file"))
>       #delete (name);
>     endif
>   end_unwind_protect
>
> Then re-run.

Unfortunately, that didn't help; having %USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Local\Temp
open in an explorer (file browser) window I saw all __makeinfo__.m
generated temp files being created and then deleted, one by one. Why
that happened in spite of commenting out L.154 is beyond me.

My solution was changing L. 120 where the temporary files are generated.
Setting the last input arg to "false" w/o quotes) the temp files are kept:

   unwind_protect
     ## Write Texinfo to tmp file
     template = "octave-help-XXXXXX";
     [fid, name] = mkstemp (fullfile (tempdir, template), false);
     if (fid < 0)
       error ("__makeinfo__: could not create temporary file");
     endif
     fprintf (fid, "%s", text);
     fclose (fid);

Thanks again, your hint surely did help to get further.

Philip