Quantcast

Re: texinfo

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: texinfo

Michael Godfrey
On 01/24/2011 12:46 AM, Søren Hauberg wrote:
man, 24 01 2011 kl. 00:43 -0800, skrev Michael D Godfrey:
> > Octave is a GNU project, and the GNU project uses Texinfo for its
> > documentation. 
> 
> You probably know that the "official" texlive distributors have
> decided
> to drop texinfo,  It is not included in their distribution and they
> are on
> record as "not supporting it."  Due to the texlive folks, Fedora no
> longer
> includes TeX in their distribution (as of FC14).  texlive runs their
> own
> repository, but it is extremely hard to use.  For now,  Fedora
> includes a texinfo that still works.  How this will unwind I am not
> sure.
Interesting! You should probably send this comment to the mailing list
as well.

Søren


I thought I had done that a while ago, but here goes again...

Michael

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: texinfo

Przemek Klosowski-7
On 01/24/2011 12:46 AM, Søren Hauberg wrote:

>> man, 24 01 2011 kl. 00:43 -0800, skrev Michael D Godfrey:
>>>>>> Octave is a GNU project, and the GNU project uses Texinfo
>>>>>> for its documentation.
>>>>
>>>> You probably know that the "official" texlive distributors
>>>> have decided to drop texinfo,  It is not included in their
>>>> distribution and they are on record as "not supporting it."
>>>> Due to the texlive folks, Fedora no longer includes TeX in
>>>> their distribution (as of FC14).  texlive runs their own
>>>> repository, but it is extremely hard to use.  For now,  Fedora
>>>> includes a texinfo that still works.  How this will unwind I am
>>>> not sure.

On my F14 "rpm -q texinfo texlive" gives

texinfo-4.13a-12.fc14.i686
texlive-2007-56.fc14.i686

and the changelog for texlive RPM doesn't seem to mention any
perturbations. Can you explain what is the issue here?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: texinfo

John W. Eaton
Administrator
On 24-Jan-2011, Przemek Klosowski wrote:

| On 01/24/2011 12:46 AM, Søren Hauberg wrote:
| >> man, 24 01 2011 kl. 00:43 -0800, skrev Michael D Godfrey:
| >>>>>> Octave is a GNU project, and the GNU project uses Texinfo
| >>>>>> for its documentation.
| >>>>
| >>>> You probably know that the "official" texlive distributors
| >>>> have decided to drop texinfo,  It is not included in their
| >>>> distribution and they are on record as "not supporting it."
| >>>> Due to the texlive folks, Fedora no longer includes TeX in
| >>>> their distribution (as of FC14).  texlive runs their own
| >>>> repository, but it is extremely hard to use.  For now,  Fedora
| >>>> includes a texinfo that still works.  How this will unwind I am
| >>>> not sure.
|
| On my F14 "rpm -q texinfo texlive" gives
|
| texinfo-4.13a-12.fc14.i686
| texlive-2007-56.fc14.i686
|
| and the changelog for texlive RPM doesn't seem to mention any
| perturbations. Can you explain what is the issue here?

I think all we need for Texinfo to work for Octave is texinfo.tex and
the makeinfo program.  If it becomes necessary, we can distribute both
as part of Octave.  I'd rather not, but if we have to, we will.

jwe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: texinfo

Michael Godfrey
On 01/24/2011 11:36 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 24-Jan-2011, Przemek Klosowski wrote:

| On 01/24/2011 12:46 AM, Søren Hauberg wrote:
| >> man, 24 01 2011 kl. 00:43 -0800, skrev Michael D Godfrey:
| >>>>>> Octave is a GNU project, and the GNU project uses Texinfo
| >>>>>> for its documentation.
| >>>>
| >>>> You probably know that the "official" texlive distributors
| >>>> have decided to drop texinfo,  It is not included in their
| >>>> distribution and they are on record as "not supporting it."
| >>>> Due to the texlive folks, Fedora no longer includes TeX in
| >>>> their distribution (as of FC14).  texlive runs their own
| >>>> repository, but it is extremely hard to use.  For now,  Fedora
| >>>> includes a texinfo that still works.  How this will unwind I am
| >>>> not sure.
| 
| On my F14 "rpm -q texinfo texlive" gives
| 
| texinfo-4.13a-12.fc14.i686
| texlive-2007-56.fc14.i686
| 
| and the changelog for texlive RPM doesn't seem to mention any 
| perturbations. Can you explain what is the issue here?

I think all we need for Texinfo to work for Octave is texinfo.tex and
the makeinfo program.  If it becomes necessary, we can distribute both
as part of Octave.  I'd rather not, but if we have to, we will.

jwe

John,

texi2dvi and texi2pdf are also used. This is where problems occurred recently.
There was a version of texlive (now the only source for TeX) which caused the
doc generation to fail.  This has been fixed for now.  But, the fact that texlive
does not support texinfo is a concern for the future.  Requests to the texlive people
to provide compatibility with texinfo were rejected.

Probably best to worry about this the next time a problem occurs, or maybe
Doxygen is appropriate?

Michael
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: texinfo

John W. Eaton
Administrator
On 24-Jan-2011, Michael D Godfrey wrote:

| texi2dvi and texi2pdf are also used.

OK, those are also just shell scripts, which we could distribute if
needed.

| Probably best to worry about this the next time a problem occurs, or maybe
| Doxygen is appropriate?

I could maybe be convinced that we should use Doxygen markup for
documenting the C++ classes in the Octave source code.  But I don't
see any reason to convert all the docstrings for Octave functions and
the text in the Octave manual to use Doxygen (if the latter change is
even possible).

jwe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: texinfo

Michael Godfrey
On 01/24/2011 12:18 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 24-Jan-2011, Michael D Godfrey wrote:

| texi2dvi and texi2pdf are also used.

OK, those are also just shell scripts, which we could distribute if
needed.

| Probably best to worry about this the next time a problem occurs, or maybe
| Doxygen is appropriate?

I could maybe be convinced that we should use Doxygen markup for
documenting the C++ classes in the Octave source code.  But I don't
see any reason to convert all the docstrings for Octave functions and
the text in the Octave manual to use Doxygen (if the latter change is
even possible).

jwe
Seems like a good idea to leave it as is.  Since there is a pretty wide
community of users of TeX and texinfo I think (hope) they will get working
as before, subject only to the usual problems as we have just experienced.

Michael

Loading...