Rearranging editor and command window panes in GUI

Rearranging editor and command window panes in GUI

apjanke-floss
Hi, folks,

Dumb question here.

I'm using the Qt GUI and I'm in the "Restore Default Window Layout"
mode. In this, the Command Window, Editor, and Documentation are three
tabs of a single panel, so you can see only one of them at once. Is
there a way to rearrange these tabs/panes so I can see both my Command
Window and Editor at the same time, without having to undock one of
them? I looked through the Octave documentation and I don't see anything
on this. (In fact, I don't see anything on the Qt GUI at all.)

Octave 4.4.1 on macOS 10.13.6.

Cheers,
Andrew

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 7.23.13 PM.png (284K) Download Attachment

Re: Rearranging editor and command window panes in GUI

Doug Stewart-4

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 7:44 PM Andrew Janke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, folks,

Dumb question here.

I'm using the Qt GUI and I'm in the "Restore Default Window Layout"
mode. In this, the Command Window, Editor, and Documentation are three
tabs of a single panel, so you can see only one of them at once. Is
there a way to rearrange these tabs/panes so I can see both my Command
Window and Editor at the same time, without having to undock one of
them? I looked through the Octave documentation and I don't see anything
on this. (In fact, I don't see anything on the Qt GUI at all.)

Octave 4.4.1 on macOS 10.13.6.

Cheers,
Andrew

Just grab the editor and move it a small amount, it will then find a new place to be.
you can have it north south east and west etc by where you let go of it
--
DASCertificate for 206392

On 1/11/19 7:53 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 7:44 PM Andrew Janke <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi, folks,
>
>     Dumb question here.
>
>     I'm using the Qt GUI and I'm in the "Restore Default Window Layout"
>     mode. In this, the Command Window, Editor, and Documentation are three
>     tabs of a single panel, so you can see only one of them at once. Is
>     there a way to rearrange these tabs/panes so I can see both my Command
>     Window and Editor at the same time, without having to undock one of
>     them? I looked through the Octave documentation and I don't see
>     anything
>     on this. (In fact, I don't see anything on the Qt GUI at all.)
>
>     Octave 4.4.1 on macOS 10.13.6.
>
>     Cheers,
>     Andrew
>

> Just grab the editor and move it a small amount, it will then find a new
> place to be.
> you can have it north south east and west etc by where you let go of it
> --
> DASCertificate for 206392
>
> <https://linuxcounter.net/user/206392.html>

*Smacks forehead.* That worked. Thanks!

Andrew

Re: Rearranging editor and command window panes in GUI

Torsten-3
On 12.01.19 01:55, Andrew Janke wrote:

> On 1/11/19 7:53 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 7:44 PM Andrew Janke <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi, folks,
>>
>>     Dumb question here.
>>
>>     I'm using the Qt GUI and I'm in the "Restore Default Window Layout"
>>     mode. In this, the Command Window, Editor, and Documentation are
>> three
>>     tabs of a single panel, so you can see only one of them at once. Is
>>     there a way to rearrange these tabs/panes so I can see both my
>> Command
>>     Window and Editor at the same time, without having to undock one of
>>     them? I looked through the Octave documentation and I don't see
>>     anything
>>     on this. (In fact, I don't see anything on the Qt GUI at all.)
>>
>>     Octave 4.4.1 on macOS 10.13.6.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>     Andrew
>>

>> Just grab the editor and move it a small amount, it will then find a
>> new place to be.
>> you can have it north south east and west etc by where you let go of it
>> --
>> DASCertificate for 206392
>>
>> <https://linuxcounter.net/user/206392.html>
>
> *Smacks forehead.* That worked. Thanks!

Just a small comment to your screenshot: The variable editor pane at the
right was not intended. In the upcoming new major release it will be
initially tabbed together with command, editor and doc widget.

Torsten

On 1/12/19 2:03 AM, Torsten wrote:

> On 12.01.19 01:55, Andrew Janke wrote:
>>

>> On 1/11/19 7:53 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:
>>>

>>> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 7:44 PM Andrew Janke <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>      Hi, folks,
>>>
>>>      Dumb question here.
>>>
>>>      I'm using the Qt GUI and I'm in the "Restore Default Window Layout"
>>>      mode. In this, the Command Window, Editor, and Documentation are
>>> three
>>>      tabs of a single panel, so you can see only one of them at once. Is
>>>      there a way to rearrange these tabs/panes so I can see both my
>>> Command
>>>      Window and Editor at the same time, without having to undock one of
>>>      them? I looked through the Octave documentation and I don't see
>>>      anything
>>>      on this. (In fact, I don't see anything on the Qt GUI at all.)
>>>
>>>      Octave 4.4.1 on macOS 10.13.6.
>>>
>>>      Cheers,
>>>      Andrew
>>>

>>> Just grab the editor and move it a small amount, it will then find a
>>> new place to be.
>>> you can have it north south east and west etc by where you let go of it
>>> --
>>> DASCertificate for 206392
>>>
>>> <https://linuxcounter.net/user/206392.html>
>>
>> *Smacks forehead.* That worked. Thanks!
>>

> Just a small comment to your screenshot: The variable editor pane at the
> right was not intended. In the upcoming new major release it will be
> initially tabbed together with command, editor and doc widget.
>
> Torsten

Sounds good.

I also notice that you fixed the problem with the "File Name" column
width in the Current Directory pane.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Andrew