Refer flatpak install of octave for linux on octave or octave wiki on the web

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Refer flatpak install of octave for linux on octave or octave wiki on the web

tmacchant
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2018/07/install-latest-gnu-octave-4-4-ubuntu-18-04/


Install of GNU Octave using Flatpak seems to be one of the easy way to install recent version octave.

Does anybody add the description octave web page or octave wiki for Octave for GNU Linux?

Tatsuro 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Refer flatpak install of octave for linux on octave or octave wiki on the web

Mike Miller-4
On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 12:37:51 +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
> http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2018/07/install-latest-gnu-octave-4-4-ubuntu-18-04/
>
> Install of GNU Octave using Flatpak seems to be one of the easy way to install recent version octave.
>
> Does anybody add the description octave web page or octave wiki for Octave for GNU Linux?

It's mentioned on https://octave.org/download.html

--
mike

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Refer flatpak install of octave for linux on octave or octave wiki on the web

John Frain
Installing the flatpak version of Octave is certainly very convenient.  I have encountered some problems that some one might confirm or offer some work around. 

I have been working on Linux Mint 18.3 (and in parallel to a Windows 10 PC).  The latest compiled Octave package of 4.4.1 that  I can find is 4.2.2.  To obtain a more up to date version I have installed the flatpak version of 4.4.1. using a similar method to that described here.

I had problems installing forge packages such as nan and gsl in the flatpak version (messages received when I tried to install gsl is at the end of this email). I presume that the flatpak version can not access some required files.

I reinstalled the Octave 4.2.2 version and successfully reinstalled the required packages there.  They now appear to be available to the flatpak version. At least the statistics package is working.  I have not tried the gsl library. It is possible that the problems that caused it to fail may cause it when some gsl functions are called.  At least I can use some Octave forge packages with the flatpak version and use the lder version when this fails.  Does any one have any advice.

I have als installed flatpak emacs (version 26.1).  Is there an easy way to use octave-mode on this flatpak version of emacs.  It can read the same .emacs file as the standard version 25.3.2 version of emacs which dimplements octave -mode as expected.  I have looked for a solution on the web and have failed to find one. Perhaps I have looked in the wrong placesll

########## Installin gsl on flatpak octave ###################
##  Installed without on 4.2.2 immediately after trying 4.4.1 ###
################################################################ 
 
>>  pkg install -forge gsl
configure: error: gslcblas library not found
checking for mkoctfile... /app/bin/mkoctfile-4.4.1
checking for octave... /app/bin/octave-4.4.1
checking for Octave's canonical_host_type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking for Octave's include directory... /app/include/octave-4.4.1/octave
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking ov-scalar.h usability... yes
checking ov-scalar.h presence... yes
checking for ov-scalar.h... yes
checking for cos in -lm... yes
checking for cblas_dgemm in -lgslcblas... no

pkg: error running the configure script for gsl.
error: called from
    configure_make at line 82 column 9
    install at line 184 column 7
    pkg at line 437 column 9

John C Frain, Ph.D.

Economics Department             3 Aranleigh Park
Trinity College Dublin                 Rathfarnham
College Green                           Dublin 14
Dublin 2                                    Ireland
Ireland

On 19 August 2018 at 20:47, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 12:37:51 +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
> http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2018/07/install-latest-gnu-octave-4-4-ubuntu-18-04/
>
> Install of GNU Octave using Flatpak seems to be one of the easy way to install recent version octave.
>
> Does anybody add the description octave web page or octave wiki for Octave for GNU Linux?

It's mentioned on https://octave.org/download.html

--
mike

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Refer flatpak install of octave for linux on octave or octave wiki on the web

Mike Miller-4
On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 23:15:29 +0100, John Frain wrote:
> I had problems installing forge packages such as nan and gsl in the flatpak
> version (messages received when I tried to install gsl is at the end of
> this email). I presume that the flatpak version can not access some
> required files.
[…]
> configure: error: gslcblas library not found

That's right. Flatpak applications are containers, isolated from the
host filesystem by design. This means the only libraries that the
flatpak version of Octave can see are those installed by the Flatpak
runtime itself. The GSL library is not one of those.

At some point in the future, we (the Octave flatpak maintainers) may
choose to include some extra libraries that are used by popular Octave
Forge packages.

Or the Octave gsl package maintainer may look at an option for bundling
the GSL library with the Octave Forge package (similar to how the Octave
control package bundles the SLICOT library).

> I reinstalled the Octave 4.2.2 version and successfully reinstalled the
> required packages there.  They now appear to be available to the flatpak
> version. At least the statistics package is working.  I have not tried the
> gsl library. It is possible that the problems that caused it to fail may
> cause it when some gsl functions are called.  At least I can use some
> Octave forge packages with the flatpak version and use the lder version
> when this fails.  Does any one have any advice.

Right, this will probably not work well in general. If a package is
entirely m-file functions (no compiled code), then it should work.

> I have als installed flatpak emacs (version 26.1).  Is there an easy way to
> use octave-mode on this flatpak version of emacs.  It can read the same
> .emacs file as the standard version 25.3.2 version of emacs which
> dimplements octave -mode as expected.  I have looked for a solution on the
> web and have failed to find one. Perhaps I have looked in the wrong placesll

As far as I know, it is not possible to have a flatpak Application 1
interact directly with a flatpak Application 2. They are isolated from
the host operating system by design, and also from each other. So it
seems to me that it is not possible to have flatpak Emacs run flatpak
Octave as a child process with a pipe (how I assume octave-mode works).

If there is a way to have them communicate over another mechanism, like
dbus or a unix socket, then that may work.

Running flatpak Octave from the native host Emacs should be possible.

Cheers,

--
mike

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment