Regd. GSoC - 2017

dhawal harkawat
Hi,

I am Dhawal Harkawat, fourth year Computer Science student at BITS-PILANI. I am very much interested in your area of work, and want to contribute as much as I can to the Open Source Community.
Regarding the same, I want to ask whether are you applying for this year GSoC Organization. If yes, I want to be a part of your project for this year. Please let me know, how can I get started with you?
Any help is hugely appreciated.
PFA Resume attached.

Thanks,
Dhawal Harkawat

DHAWAL_PILANI.pdf (199K) Download Attachment

Old fortran MEX file

Lars Johansson
Hi,

I found an old mex routine, written in fortran, that that extracts
fatigue load cycles from time series. I believe that it used to work
with matlab on windows and some linux/unix platform.

My plan is now to try to get it up running again in Octave. While
searching the internet for related info, I would very much appreciate
any useful input, ideas, suggestions ........

/Lars

UBICsignal2rfc.f (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Old fortran MEX file

Alberto Luaces
Lars Johansson writes:

> Hi,
>
> I found an old mex routine, written in fortran, that that extracts
> fatigue load cycles from time series. I believe that it used to work
> with matlab on windows and some linux/unix platform.
>
> My plan is now to try to get it up running again in Octave. While
> searching the internet for related info, I would very much appreciate
> any useful input, ideas, suggestions ........

Hi, Lars.  I would start with the mkoctfile utility, which seems able to
cope with mex code directly:

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Mex_002dFiles.html#Mex_002dFiles

--
Alberto

Re: Old fortran MEX file

Lars Johansson
On 2/8/2017 6:16 PM, Alberto Luaces wrote:

> Lars Johansson writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found an old mex routine, written in fortran, that that extracts
>> fatigue load cycles from time series. I believe that it used to work
>> with matlab on windows and some linux/unix platform.
>>
>> My plan is now to try to get it up running again in Octave. While
>> searching the internet for related info, I would very much appreciate
>> any useful input, ideas, suggestions ........
>>
> Hi, Lars.  I would start with the mkoctfile utility, which seems able to
> cope with mex code directly:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Mex_002dFiles.html#Mex_002dFiles

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the hint. Trying " >>mkoctfille --mex " was the first thing I
tried, but this resulted in errors/warnings and a lot of "undefined
reference to ...." .

Some of the issues seems easy to fix, but I guess that the "reference"
problem indicate that I need to include "header files" somehow. So far I
have not found any similar example to follow, but I will keep
searching/reading.

/Lars

mex_error.log (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Old fortran MEX file

Alberto Luaces
Lars Johansson writes:

> Some of the issues seems easy to fix, but I guess that the "reference"
> problem indicate that I need to include "header files" somehow. So far
> I have not found any similar example to follow, but I will keep
> searching/reading.

Yes, apart errors stemming from deprecated Fortran features and those
dangerous indexing errors that were  overlooked at that time, the
linking errors are caused because the compiler has its own idea of how
Fortran symbols should be encoded in the library.  This time it is "all
lowercase and an ending underscore", so it does not match symbols like
"mxGetN".

As you say it is a matter of having a file having the prototypes, but I
have looked for them and could not find any (for Fortran; there is no
problem for C).  Anyway, you can just write the few prototypes you need
and paste it before your code or in an independent file you can submit
back to the project.

--
Alberto

Re: Regd. GSoC - 2017

siko1056
dhawal harkawat wrote
Hi,

I am Dhawal Harkawat, fourth year Computer Science student at BITS-PILANI.
I am very much interested in your area of work, and want to contribute as
much as I can to the Open Source Community.
Regarding the same, I want to ask whether are you applying for this year
GSoC Organization. If yes, I want to be a part of your project for this
year. Please let me know, how can I get started with you?
Any help is hugely appreciated.
PFA Resume attached.

Thanks,
Dhawal Harkawat

DHAWAL_PILANI.pdf (199K) <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/attachment/4681797/0/DHAWAL_PILANI.pdf>
Hello Dhawal,

Great to hear from you. It's always good to have new contributors.

Octave is applying to GSoC 2017. Please read carefully http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Steps_Toward_a_Successful_Application to find out what is expected from GSoC applicants.

There is a list of short projects http://wiki.octave.org/Short_projects and suggested projects http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Suggested_projects where you might start with. Even better, you already work with Octave and care about something you want to improve.

Please don't hesitate to ask for help here.

Sincerely,

Kai