SIAM event at OctConf 2017?

Francesco Faccio
Dear all,

I'm involved in many activities with SIAM [1] (Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics) and I think that it could be nice to organize a short event during OctConf with the EPFL Student Chapter of SIAM [2]. A SIAM Student Chapter is an association of students and faculty members which organizes cultural activities such as conferences, courses, summer schools, programming competitions, in order to promote applied mathematics and it is founded by SIAM.

This could take place during one (and a half) of the slots available and it could consist of a short introduction of what is SIAM and what a SIAM Chapter does (10 min) plus a couple of talks of PhD or Master students which use Octave in their research (20 min + 20 min).

Since Lousanne is pretty close to Geneva, in the worst  possible case they would need only some funds to cover the travel costs (but SIAM and EPFL should cover some costs).

Note that this could be a starting point also for a collaboration in the other direction: SIAM organizes a lot of big conferences and meetings every year and it would be interesting to send some people representing Octave at those events.

If you think that this could be an interesting event for the community during OctConf, I will contact them to see whether they are available.

Best regards,

Francesco Faccio

[1] http://www.siam.org/
[2] https://epflsiam.wordpress.com/

Re: SIAM event at OctConf 2017?

Andrea Latina
Dear Francesco,

this sounds to me like a great idea.

As, I see, the organization of the conference is emerging quite
spontaneously, I would recommend you propose a time slot for this
session on the wiki page, subjected to the validation of Juan and all
those managing that page. Once the timetable will be more or less
finalized, I will publish it on the OctConf Indico page.

Also, I invite you and all the students who intend to participate, to
register using the form we published on the OctConf Indico page:
https://indico.cern.ch/event/609833 This will help us with the
logistics.

Best,
Andrea

On 7 February 2017 at 14:17, Francesco Faccio
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm involved in many activities with SIAM [1] (Society for Industrial and
> Applied Mathematics) and I think that it could be nice to organize a short
> event during OctConf with the EPFL Student Chapter of SIAM [2]. A SIAM
> Student Chapter is an association of students and faculty members which
> organizes cultural activities such as conferences, courses, summer schools,
> programming competitions, in order to promote applied mathematics and it is
> founded by SIAM.
>
> This could take place during one (and a half) of the slots available and it
> could consist of a short introduction of what is SIAM and what a SIAM
> Chapter does (10 min) plus a couple of talks of PhD or Master students which
> use Octave in their research (20 min + 20 min).
>
> Since Lousanne is pretty close to Geneva, in the worst  possible case they
> would need only some funds to cover the travel costs (but SIAM and EPFL
> should cover some costs).
>
> Note that this could be a starting point also for a collaboration in the
> other direction: SIAM organizes a lot of big conferences and meetings every
> year and it would be interesting to send some people representing Octave at
> those events.
>
> If you think that this could be an interesting event for the community
> during OctConf, I will contact them to see whether they are available.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Francesco Faccio
>
> [1] http://www.siam.org/
> [2] https://epflsiam.wordpress.com/

Re: SIAM event at OctConf 2017?

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Andrea Latina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Francesco,
>
> this sounds to me like a great idea.
>
> As, I see, the organization of the conference is emerging quite
> spontaneously, I would recommend you propose a time slot for this
> session on the wiki page, subjected to the validation of Juan and all
> those managing that page. Once the timetable will be more or less
> finalized, I will publish it on the OctConf Indico page.
>
> Also, I invite you and all the students who intend to participate, to
> register using the form we published on the OctConf Indico page:
> https://indico.cern.ch/event/609833 This will help us with the
> logistics.
>
> Best,
> Andrea
>

> On 7 February 2017 at 14:17, Francesco Faccio
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm involved in many activities with SIAM [1] (Society for Industrial and
>> Applied Mathematics) and I think that it could be nice to organize a short
>> event during OctConf with the EPFL Student Chapter of SIAM [2]. A SIAM
>> Student Chapter is an association of students and faculty members which
>> organizes cultural activities such as conferences, courses, summer schools,
>> programming competitions, in order to promote applied mathematics and it is
>> founded by SIAM.
>>
>> This could take place during one (and a half) of the slots available and it
>> could consist of a short introduction of what is SIAM and what a SIAM
>> Chapter does (10 min) plus a couple of talks of PhD or Master students which
>> use Octave in their research (20 min + 20 min).
>>
>> Since Lousanne is pretty close to Geneva, in the worst  possible case they
>> would need only some funds to cover the travel costs (but SIAM and EPFL
>> should cover some costs).
>>
>> Note that this could be a starting point also for a collaboration in the
>> other direction: SIAM organizes a lot of big conferences and meetings every
>> year and it would be interesting to send some people representing Octave at
>> those events.
>>
>> If you think that this could be an interesting event for the community
>> during OctConf, I will contact them to see whether they are available.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Francesco Faccio
>>
>> [1] http://www.siam.org/
>> [2] https://epflsiam.wordpress.com/
>>

>> --

It sounds like a great idea!
Lets try it out.

Re: SIAM event at OctConf 2017?

Carnë Draug
On 7 February 2017 at 13:17, Francesco Faccio
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm involved in many activities with SIAM [1] (Society for Industrial and
> Applied Mathematics) and I think that it could be nice to organize a short
> event during OctConf with the EPFL Student Chapter of SIAM [2]. A SIAM
> Student Chapter is an association of students and faculty members which
> organizes cultural activities such as conferences, courses, summer schools,
> programming competitions, in order to promote applied mathematics and it is
> founded by SIAM.
>
> This could take place during one (and a half) of the slots available and it
> could consist of a short introduction of what is SIAM and what a SIAM
> Chapter does (10 min) plus a couple of talks of PhD or Master students which
> use Octave in their research (20 min + 20 min).
>
> Since Lousanne is pretty close to Geneva, in the worst  possible case they
> would need only some funds to cover the travel costs (but SIAM and EPFL
> should cover some costs).
>
> Note that this could be a starting point also for a collaboration in the
> other direction: SIAM organizes a lot of big conferences and meetings every
> year and it would be interesting to send some people representing Octave at
> those events.
>
> If you think that this could be an interesting event for the community
> during OctConf, I will contact them to see whether they are available.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Francesco Faccio
>
> [1] http://www.siam.org/
> [2] https://epflsiam.wordpress.com/

Hi Francesco

Is this no longer going to happen?

Carnë

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm involved in many activities with SIAM [1] (Society for Industrial and
> Applied Mathematics) and I think that it could be nice to organize a short
> event during OctConf with the EPFL Student Chapter of SIAM [2]. A SIAM
> Student Chapter is an association of students and faculty members which
> organizes cultural activities such as conferences, courses, summer schools,
> programming competitions, in order to promote applied mathematics and it is
> founded by SIAM.
>
> This could take place during one (and a half) of the slots available and it
> could consist of a short introduction of what is SIAM and what a SIAM
> Chapter does (10 min) plus a couple of talks of PhD or Master students which
> use Octave in their research (20 min + 20 min).
>
> Since Lousanne is pretty close to Geneva, in the worst  possible case they
> would need only some funds to cover the travel costs (but SIAM and EPFL
> should cover some costs).
>
> Note that this could be a starting point also for a collaboration in the
> other direction: SIAM organizes a lot of big conferences and meetings every
> year and it would be interesting to send some people representing Octave at
> those events.
>
> If you think that this could be an interesting event for the community
> during OctConf, I will contact them to see whether they are available.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Francesco Faccio
>
> [1] http://www.siam.org/
> [2] https://epflsiam.wordpress.com/

Hi Francesco

Is this no longer going to happen?

Carnë

Hi Carnë, all,

unfortunately they mostly use Matlab and R and they don't have experience with Octave.
They will notify their members of the OctConf, so that those interested will have the opportunity to participate, but I don't know if we can do something more.

Maybe we could ask them to present their work in Matlab and then discuss whether it could be done using Octave.
If this can be interested for someone, I will try to organize it.

Francesco

Re: SIAM event at OctConf 2017?

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Francesco Faccio
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 7 February 2017 at 13:17, Francesco Faccio
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > I'm involved in many activities with SIAM [1] (Society for Industrial
>> > and
>> > Applied Mathematics) and I think that it could be nice to organize a
>> > short
>> > event during OctConf with the EPFL Student Chapter of SIAM [2]. A SIAM
>> > Student Chapter is an association of students and faculty members which
>> > organizes cultural activities such as conferences, courses, summer
>> > schools,
>> > programming competitions, in order to promote applied mathematics and it
>> > is
>> > founded by SIAM.
>> >
>> > This could take place during one (and a half) of the slots available and
>> > it
>> > could consist of a short introduction of what is SIAM and what a SIAM
>> > Chapter does (10 min) plus a couple of talks of PhD or Master students
>> > which
>> > use Octave in their research (20 min + 20 min).
>> >
>> > Since Lousanne is pretty close to Geneva, in the worst  possible case
>> > they
>> > would need only some funds to cover the travel costs (but SIAM and EPFL
>> > should cover some costs).
>> >
>> > Note that this could be a starting point also for a collaboration in the
>> > other direction: SIAM organizes a lot of big conferences and meetings
>> > every
>> > year and it would be interesting to send some people representing Octave
>> > at
>> > those events.
>> >
>> > If you think that this could be an interesting event for the community
>> > during OctConf, I will contact them to see whether they are available.
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> >
>> > Francesco Faccio
>> >
>> > [1] http://www.siam.org/
>> > [2] https://epflsiam.wordpress.com/
>>
>> Hi Francesco
>>
>> Is this no longer going to happen?
>>
>> Carnë
>

> Hi Carnë, all,
>
> unfortunately they mostly use Matlab and R and they don't have experience
> with Octave.
> They will notify their members of the OctConf, so that those interested will
> have the opportunity to participate, but I don't know if we can do something
> more.
>
> Maybe we could ask them to present their work in Matlab and then discuss
> whether it could be done using Octave.
> If this can be interested for someone, I will try to organize it.
>
> Francesco

Yes, discussions like this are always illustrating. It is also good
for devs to see how matlab is used.