Quantcast

Saving in Octave

asha g

 I am saving my data in Octave and have a command

save cabun vvvv x vv1 vvN

How do I know that the saved data is in .mat format. Can I read the data in this format? I had sent it to someone to plot in Mayavi( Python) and they said that what I sent them was in text format and not .mat format. I thought that the default option in Octave was .mat while saving. I am using Octave 3.01 with Ubuntu OS.

Please help.

Thanks

Asha

Re: Saving in Octave

bpabbott
Administrator
On Jan 17, 2010, at 7:59 PM, asha g wrote:

> I am saving my data in Octave and have a command
>
> save cabun vvvv x vv1 vvN
>
> How do I know that the saved data is in .mat format. Can I read the data in this format? I had sent it to someone to plot in Mayavi( Python) and they said that what I sent them was in text format and not .mat format. I thought that the default option in Octave was .mat while saving. I am using Octave 3.01 with Ubuntu OS.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Asha

Take a look at "help save"

I don't have 3.0.1 available, but ...

        save -mat-binary cabun vvvv x vv1 vvN

... should work.

Ben

Re: Saving in Octave

asha g

 Thanks will try it and let you know.
BTW, which is the latest version of Octave - and where can I get the manual?
Thanks
Asha

> > Asha
>
> Take a look at "help save"
>
> I don't have 3.0.1 available, but ...
>
>     save -mat-binary cabun vvvv x vv1 vvN
>
> ... should work.
>
> Ben

Re: Saving in Octave

bpabbott
Administrator

On Jan 17, 2010, at 11:06 PM, asha g wrote:

> BTW, which is the latest version of Octave - and where can I get the manual?
> Thanks
> Asha

The latest is 3.2.3

        http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html

I'm running MacOS X, and don't know if the manual is bundled with the binaries for Unix and/or Windows ... someone else?

Ben

Re: Saving in Octave

asha g

I have used this command but cannot open the resulting file. So am not sure whether it is correct or not. It says file is of unknown type. Is there some way of checking?
Thanks
Asha

> Take a look at "help save"
>
> I don't have 3.0.1 available, but ...
>
>     save -mat-binary cabun vvvv x vv1 vvN
>
> ... should work.
>
> Ben

Re: Saving in Octave

bpabbott
Administrator

On Jan 18, 2010, at 7:33 PM, asha g wrote:

>> Take a look at "help save"
>>
>> I don't have 3.0.1 available, but ...
>>
>>     save -mat-binary cabun vvvv x vv1 vvN
>>
>> ... should work.
>>
>> Ben
>
> I have used this command but cannot open the resulting file. So am not sure whether it is correct or not. It says file is of unknown type. Is there some way of checking?
> Thanks
> Asha

Since it is a Matlab binary file, you won't be able to edit it with an ascii editor.

To verify it is correct, you'll need to try loading it with matlab.

Ben

Re: Saving in Octave

asha g

> Since it is a Matlab binary file, you won't be able to edit
> it with an ascii editor.
>
> To verify it is correct, you'll need to try loading it with
> matlab.

I am trying to open it in octave - but it says cabun undefined near line2 column 1.
What does that mean?
Asha

Re: Saving in Octave

bpabbott
Administrator
On Jan 18, 2010, at 7:46 PM, asha g wrote:

>> Since it is a Matlab binary file, you won't be able to edit
>> it with an ascii editor.
>>
>> To verify it is correct, you'll need to try loading it with
>> matlab.
>
> I am trying to open it in octave - but it says cabun undefined near line2 column 1.
> What does that mean?
> Asha

I don't know what you mean by "open". Are you trying to edit it or load it?

Ben

Re: Saving in Octave

asha g
I am trying to see if I can open the file and see the contents.
 when I write
Octave :1> cabun
cabun undefined line 1 column 1
Octave :2> load cabun
Then I get
Octave :3>
However, I cannot see the contents of the file. Or is that not possible in a mat file?
Sorry for the delay in responding to your earlier mail. I was facing some technical difficulties here.
Thanks
Asha

> >> Since it is a Matlab binary file, you won't be
> able to edit
> >> it with an ascii editor.
> >>
> >> To verify it is correct, you'll need to try
> >> matlab.
> >
> > I am trying to open it in octave - but it says cabun
> undefined near line2 column 1.
> > What does that mean?
> > Asha
>
> I don't know what you mean by "open". Are you trying to
> edit it or load it?
>
> Ben

Re: Saving in Octave

Jaroslav Hajek-2
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 9:10 PM, asha g <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am trying to see if I can open the file and see the contents.
>  when I write
> Octave :1> cabun
> cabun undefined line 1 column 1
> Octave :2> load cabun
> Then I get
> Octave :3>

At this point, the file is loaded. Any variables contained in the file
are now in the current scope and ready to use. If the file contained
no named variables, just an ASCII matrix, then it will be named cabun.
You can list the available variables using the "who" command.
To view the contents of a particular variable, just type its name.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer

Re: Saving in Octave

asha g

> At this point, the file is loaded. Any variables contained
> in the file
> are now in the current scope and ready to use. If the file
> contained
> no named variables, just an ASCII matrix, then it will be
> named cabun.
> You can list the available variables using the "who"
> command.
> To view the contents of a particular variable, just type
> its name.

I just did
who vvN
and got:

Local user variables :
vvN

and so on.

If I send this file cabun to someone who is using the data for modeling, will it work?
Asha

Re: Saving in Octave

Jaroslav Hajek-2
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 9:30 PM, asha g <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> At this point, the file is loaded. Any variables contained
>> in the file
>> are now in the current scope and ready to use. If the file
>> contained
>> no named variables, just an ASCII matrix, then it will be
>> named cabun.
>> You can list the available variables using the "who"
>> command.
>> To view the contents of a particular variable, just type
>> its name.
>>

> I just did
> who vvN
> and got:
>
> Local user variables :
> vvN
>
> and so on.
>
> If I send this file cabun to someone who is using the data for modeling, will it work?
> Asha

Depends on what you mean by "work". The recipient should be able to
load it into Octave, or Matlab, if you use the -mat-binary option.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer
Prague, Czech Republic
url: www.highegg.matfyz.cz

Re: Saving in Octave

asha g

> Depends on what you mean by "work". The recipient should be
> able to
> load it into Octave, or Matlab, if you use the -mat-binary
> option.

They will be using it to plot in Python-
so if x, vv1 are available - will they be able to plot in Python - matplotlib or Mayavi?

Asha

Re: Saving in Octave

Jaroslav Hajek-2
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM, asha g <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Depends on what you mean by "work". The recipient should be
>> able to
>> load it into Octave, or Matlab, if you use the -mat-binary
>> option.
>
> They will be using it to plot in Python-
> so if x, vv1 are available - will they be able to plot in Python - matplotlib or Mayavi?

I don't know anything about this software, so I can't answer. If
matplotlib is supposed to be able to read Matlab files, it should
work.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer
Prague, Czech Republic
url: www.highegg.matfyz.cz

Re: Saving in Octave

asha g

> I don't know anything about this software, so I can't
> answer. If
> matplotlib is supposed to be able to read Matlab files, it
> should
> work.

It can read .mat files.

Asha