Setup for lab usage

Morph
This post was updated on .
We are setting up Octave within a lab environment.  Is there a suggested way to configure Octave for all users of a computer?
- A default config file for all users?  Or to redirect their config file to a specified location?

- Default location to store packages that will be launched upon Octave starting (by adding "pkg load pkg-name" to the octaverc site startup file

Re: Setup for lab usage

Mike Miller-4
On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 10:52:03 -0700, Morph wrote:
> We are setting up Octave within a lab environment.  Is there a suggested way
> to configure Octave for all users of a computer?  A default config file for
> all users?  Or to redirect their config file to a specified location?

Take a look at the manual:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Startup-Files.html

There are two startup file locations that apply to all users. I would
recommend putting whatever global configuration you want into the "site"
startup file, typically /usr/share/octave/site/m/startup/octaverc.

Re: Setup for lab usage

Morph
Thanks Mike,

I did see that I could use that for 'auto' functioning things like installing or loading of modules. That will help with that part. But how would I redirect the user's profile?

For example, right now by default, it will save the profile to C:\users\username\.config\octave\qt-settings

What I'd like to do on a global scale is force all the user's Octave settings to P:\homedrive\username\data

In our environment the P:\ drive is the user's personal space on the network.  And it would be preferred to have them all redirected to this location.

Re: Setup for lab usage

Mike Miller-4
On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 07:27:17 -0700, Morph wrote:

> Thanks Mike,
>
> I did see that I could use that for 'auto' functioning things like
> installing or loading of modules. That will help with that part. But how
> would I redirect the user's profile?
>
> For example, right now by default, it will save the profile to
> C:\users\username\.config\octave\qt-settings
>
> What I'd like to do on a global scale is force all the user's Octave
> settings to P:\homedrive\username\data
>
> In our environment the P:\ drive is the user's personal space on the
> network.  And it would be preferred to have them all redirected to this
> location.

Oh, so you are asking about the GUI settings, not the standard startup
scripts?

The GUI only loads and stores its preferences in one place, which is
based on the user's home directory location.

A future version of Octave might use the Qt "AppConfigLocation" storage
path, which looks like it allows settings to be read from a system-wide
location. But there is no way to point the per-user configuration
elsewhere at the moment.

Re: Setup for lab usage

Francesco Potortì
>We are setting up Octave within a lab environment.  Is there a suggested way
>to configure Octave for all users of a computer?  A default config file for
>all users?  Or to redirect their config file to a specified location?

Morph, I think that you are not getting any answers because you did not
clarify what is your problem.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
(entrance 20, 1st floor, room C71)     Web:    http://fly.isti.cnr.it

Re: Setup for lab usage

NJank
On Jun 9, 2017 6:57 AM, "Francesco Potortì" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>We are setting up Octave within a lab environment.  Is there a suggested way
>to configure Octave for all users of a computer?  A default config file for
>all users?  Or to redirect their config file to a specified location?

Morph, I think that you are not getting any answers because you did not
clarify what is your problem.

I think Mike provided a couple pretty clear answers a couple days ago, and I haven't seen any other followup or more specific questions...

Re: Setup for lab usage

Morph
It's all good Francesco.  Mike did a great job answering my questions.  He pointed out the startup file that I can place commands like pre-loading packages.
And he answered the fact that for lab environments there currently isn't any way to redirect all my users to their personal network drives for storage of their preferences.  We use Octave within Citrix and I'm just looking to properly place the preferences.  But it can wait for now.