Size of .oct files - mips-sgi-irix6.2

Billinghurst, David
I have just built octave-2.0.13 on mips-sgi-irix6.2.  I was somewhat
surprised at the size of the compressed
binary distribution so I had a look at the size of the individual files.

Each of the .oct files is around 1 Mb, while they .o files they are
generated from are much smaller.
* Is this normal?
* What is typical for other platforms?

I suspect egcs-1.0.2 is statically linking some libraries that could be
shared but I haven't
had time to look further yet.

(Mr) David Billinghurst
Comalco Research and Technical Support
PO Box 316, Thomastown, Vic, Australia, 3074
Phone: +61 3 9469 0642
FAX: +61 3 9462 2700
E-mail: [hidden email]

Size of .oct files - mips-sgi-irix6.2

John W. Eaton-6
On 22-May-1998, Billinghurst, David <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I have just built octave-2.0.13 on mips-sgi-irix6.2.  I was somewhat
| surprised at the size of the compressed
| binary distribution so I had a look at the size of the individual files.
|
| Each of the .oct files is around 1 Mb, while they .o files they are
| generated from are much smaller.
| * Is this normal?
| * What is typical for other platforms?

I would expect that each .oct file would be a few hundred kilobytes.
That's what I see on a DEC Alpha running Digital Unix.  They are
somewhat smaller on my Linux system.  In neither case are the .oct
files stripped, and they were both built with -g.  I assume they would
be smaller if built without -g or if stripped, but I'm not sure
stripping shared libraries will work on all systems.

| I suspect egcs-1.0.2 is statically linking some libraries that could be
| shared but I haven't
| had time to look further yet.

When you built egcs, did you use --enable-shared as an argument to
configure?

jwe