Quantcast

Someone stripped mpi repository?

Olaf Till-2
Today I noticed that 4 changesets newly added by Carlo to the central
(Octave Forge) mpi repository are now lacking in it.

To be frank, up to now I couldn't squeeze it out of the Sourceforge
documentation that a direct access to the repositories, with the
possibility to strip them, is possible at all. But it is, for all with
'release technician' rights.

According to the backups in the repository, the 4 changesets were
stripped yesterday (2017-03-15) between 17:27 and 17:28 GMT. This is
in the time interval between these two mails of Carlo of our dispute
yesterday:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2017-03/msg00190.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2017-03/msg00191.html

which mention these changesets.

Up to then, Carlo had 'release technician' rights, probably dating
from a long time ago. I've removed these rights now for him.

It probably can't be reliably proven who did it. But I consider it a
serious issue, even if the changesets should have been removed by the
same person who generated them.

It should also be decided what to do with these 4 changesets now,
restore them or leave the central repository as it is now. I would say
we discard the changesets if Carlo wants to have it so.

Olaf

Re: Someone stripped mpi repository?

Carlo de Falco-2

> On 16 Mar 2017, at 14:50, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It probably can't be reliably proven who did it. But I consider it a
> serious issue, even if the changesets should have been removed by the
> same person who generated them.

Why so?

Most other online code management systems like e.g. bitbucket
offer this feature to all users, the OF interface is just a bit more
convoluted.

> It should also be decided what to do with these 4 changesets now,
> restore them or leave the central repository as it is now. I would say
> we discard the changesets if Carlo wants to have it so.

I'm soon setting up a new repo for MPI elsewhere you are free to mirror
the changes from there if you like, but for the moment I'd say the repository
is in a more clean state as it is now without the latest commits that were
very experimental and also created an unwanted extra branch.

The new OF MPI maintainer may also want to make a last release of the
package using the current mercurial tip to fix compatibility wit 4.2.

c.