Quantcast

Sparse Matrices

dfarrell
I'm fairly new to Matlab/Octave. I have a sparse square matrix about 29000 x 29000. I have a trial subscription to Matlab and was able to find eigenvalues by doing the following

load mat.dat
h=spconvert(mat);
sort(eigs(h,10,-70))

These commands work on Matlab and Octave for a relatively small matrix (5000 x 5000) but for the larger matrix (written in exactly the same format) Matlab works but Octave gives the error:

SparseLU numeric factorization failed

Has anyone with experience using Octave to find eigenvalues of large sparse matrices come across this and, if so, any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.