Status of Octave in Windows 10

PrasannaKumar Muralidharan
Hi,

I installed Octave 4.4 using octave-4.4.0-w64_1-installer.exe from https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html. Installer warned saying that Octave on Windows 10 is not tested.

Octave test suite result summary on Windows 10 is below:

  FAIL                                0
  XFAIL (reported bug)               36
  SKIP (missing feature)             54
  SKIP (run-time condition)           5

Octave test suite has not reported any failure. Tests are skipped (missing feature) due to missing llvm jit. I feel that the warning in the installer is too extreme, not required and hope it can be removed.

I would like to thank Octave maintainers for doing a great job.

Thanks,
PrasannaKumar

Thanks,
PrasannaKumar

Re: Status of Octave in Windows 10

Ian McCallion
There is one glaring windows 10-specific problem that annoys me 10 times a day:

Fix that and I agree the warning is pointless.

Cheers... Ian

Thanks,
PrasannaKumar

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018, 13:37 Ian McCallion <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is one glaring windows 10-specific problem that annoys me 10 times a day:

Fix that and I agree the warning is pointless.

Good point. I'm using Octave 4.4.0 on Win10 v1703 so can't recreate the bug. I'm assuming nothing has been changed to the console on windows versions for the 4.4.1 release candidate?

Is everyone else in agreement that this is a critical item that warrants keeping the warning? should octave on Mac have a similar warning or is everything fine there? is there a more useful/informative message that it can be changed to before the final 4.4.1 push?

Re: Status of Octave in Windows 10

Sebastian Schöps
nrjank wrote
> Is everyone else in agreement that this is a critical item that warrants
> keeping the warning? should octave on Mac have a similar warning or is
> everything fine there? is there a more useful/informative message that it
> can be changed to before the final 4.4.1 push?

This does not affect macOS. Here, the gui is affected by

#49053 (HiDPI, a patch has been proposed)
#50025 (gui freeze on exit, workaround proposed)
#53695 (missing support for BSD tar, patch proposed)

It would have loved to see some of those patches in 4.4.1 :(

Best,
Sebastian

Re: Status of Octave in Windows 10

nrjank
nrjank wrote

i guess I didn't mean is this specific Windows bug present in macOS, but if we're giving warnings about non-linux use, is there enough undesirable behavior to warrant a more general 'if it ain't linux' warning?

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018, 20:07 Nicholas Jankowski, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 26, 2018, 13:37 Ian McCallion <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is one glaring windows 10-specific problem that annoys me 10 times a day:

Is everyone else in agreement that this is a critical item that warrants keeping the warning? should octave on Mac have a similar warning or is everything fine there? is there a more useful/informative message that it can be changed to before the final 4.4.1 push?

If there is agreement on this perhaps there is also agreement that the priority of the one Windows 10 show-stopping bug left should be increased. Windows 10 came out 3 years ago and it does not look good that Octave does not yet officially support it.

Cheers... Ian

On 07/27/2018 08:50 AM, Ian McCallion wrote:

> If there is agreement on this perhaps there is also agreement that the
> priority of the one Windows 10 show-stopping bug left should be
> increased. Windows 10 came out 3 years ago and it does not look good
> that Octave does not yet officially support it.

Can you help fix the problems?

On Fri, 27 Jul 2018, 14:54 John W. Eaton, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/27/2018 08:50 AM, Ian McCallion wrote:

> If there is agreement on this perhaps there is also agreement that the
> priority of the one Windows 10 show-stopping bug left should be
> increased. Windows 10 came out 3 years ago and it does not look good
> that Octave does not yet officially support it.

Can you help fix the problems?

Fair question and one I asked myself a while ago but the answer is no.  I retired 20 years ago after 30 years in software dev, but I have zero experience with Unix. That said, if someone can point me to the relevant Octave or Posix modules I will attempt to research what windows changes caused the issue to crop up.

Cheers... Ian
P.s. Sorry if I appeared to be telling you your priorities. Old instincts to tell others how things should be die hard!

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018, 09:36 Ian McCallion <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jul 2018, 14:54 John W. Eaton, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/27/2018 08:50 AM, Ian McCallion wrote:

> If there is agreement on this perhaps there is also agreement that the
> priority of the one Windows 10 show-stopping bug left should be
> increased. Windows 10 came out 3 years ago and it does not look good
> that Octave does not yet officially support it.

Can you help fix the problems?

Fair question and one I asked myself a while ago but the answer is no.  I retired 20 years ago after 30 years in software dev, but I have zero experience with Unix. That said, if someone can point me to the relevant Octave or Posix modules I will attempt to research what windows changes caused the issue to crop up.

Some new discussion on the bug tracker

windows is "modernizing" its terminal. Unclear what exact change to the console is causing the scrolling issue and if there's a way to change octave's approach to using it that wont break non win10 usage. There is supposedly a registry setting in windows to turn off all new features that could be set by the installer, but no success yet. That also seems like a rather limited approach, but I haven't seen any other ms dev info indicating another approach.

On 07/27/2018 09:36 AM, Ian McCallion wrote:

> That said, if someone can point me to the relevant
> Octave or Posix modules I will attempt to research what windows changes
> caused the issue to crop up.

Everything in Octave that works with the the Windows Console is in this
file:

   libgui/qterminal/libqterminal/win32/QWinTerminalImpl.cpp

It seems to me that scrolling works properly because I can move the
scroll bar and the contents of the window changes.  But as soon as that
happens, something causes another callback function to be executed that
resets the window position and updates the scrollbar again, back to the
bottom.

This page

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/console/scrolling-the-screen-buffer

says

   When the SetConsoleCursorPosition function specifies a
   new cursor position that is outside the boundaries of
   the current window rectangle, the window rectangle
   shifts automatically to display the cursor.

We don't call SetConsoleCursorPosition directly, but when we scroll up,
the cursor remains at the bottom of the screen buffer, now out of the
visible window.  Then maybe something similar is causing the buffer
position to shift?  Then we notice and update the Qt view of this info.

Simply tracing the functions that are called and the positions of the
screen buffer might be helpful.

It would be helpful to have a list of changes or bug fixes in the
Console.  But I don't know where to find previous versions of the
Console docs and I don't see a list of changes or bug fixes going from
the old Console to the new one.

On 07/27/2018 11:21 AM, Ian McCallion wrote:

> First quick look. The cursor blinks are implemented in octave and I'm
> wondering if the apis it uses have started to call
> SetConsoleCursorPosition. An easy test of the theory would be to turn
> off the blinking.

I disabled the cursor blinking in the preferences.  The cursor stopped
blinking.  But the scroll position was still reset.

Re: Status of Octave in Windows 10

PrasannaKumar Muralidharan
I found a work around. Enabling the "Use legacy console" in command
prompt Properties -> Options and restarting Octave fixes the scroll
issue. But it prevents "Bash on Ubuntu on Windows" from working. Guess
that is the only thing that requires new console capabilities.

Definitely some Windows console changes has created the issue, having
a fix will be great. But till then I hope people can keep using Octave
with this work around. With this the bug is definitely not a blocker.

Hope this helps,
PrasannaKumar