Status of octave forge audio package

Orion Poplawski-2
What's the status of the octave forge audio package?  It hasn't been
updated since 2009, but there is no indication on the web page of its
status.

Thanks.

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems          720-772-5637
Boulder, CO 80301                 https://www.nwra.com/

Re: Status of octave forge audio package

Mike Miller-4
On Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 22:26:51 -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> What's the status of the octave forge audio package?  It hasn't been updated
> since 2009, but there is no indication on the web page of its status.

It's unmaintained, and should not be used by anyone with current
versions of Octave IMHO. You can tell it's unmaintained because it's
listed at

  https://octave.sourceforge.io/packages.php#unmaintained-packages

It has been removed from Debian. It is not included in the Octave
installer for Windows. I have considered whether it would be worth it to
put out an "update" that installs an empty package, for users who are
still installing it. But for now, the best advice is to not use it at
all.

Of the functions in the package, most are completely obsolete:

  * sound and soundsc are provided by Octave now
  * auload and ausave are replaced by audioread and audiowrite
  * aurecord is replaced by audiorecorder

The two remaining functions

  * auplot looks like a mildly useful plotting convenience function,
    I don't know of any equivalent or replacement for this one
  * au is basically a combination of prepad/postpad/subsref for the
    limited common case of one-dimensional fixed-rate audio time series,
    very specific convenience function