Symbolic package 2.7.0

Colin Macdonald-2
Hi folks,

A new release of the Symbolic package [1] is out, version 2.7.0, with
contributions by Alex Vong, latot, Mike Miller, and myself.

A summary of important user-visible changes is available online [2].

best,
Colin

[1] https://octave.sourceforge.io/symbolic/
[2] https://octave.sourceforge.io/symbolic/NEWS.html

Re: Symbolic package 2.7.0

Marius Schamschula-5
Colin,

It looks like the PYTHON env variable is no longer set at install time. In the previous version I could specify which version of Python and sympy I wanted to use.

In MacPorts, where there are typically multiple Python versions installed - never mind the macOS version (which symbolic seems to default to),  this means that the user has to either set PYTHON in .octaverc or at the prompt for each octave session.

Marius

On 2018-07-27 06:35 AM, Marius Schamschula wrote:
> It looks like the PYTHON env variable is no longer set at install time. In the previous version I could specify which version of Python and sympy I wanted to use.
>
> In MacPorts, where there are typically multiple Python versions installed - never mind the macOS version (which symbolic seems to default to),  this means that the user has to either set PYTHON in .octaverc or at the prompt for each octave session.

As you mentioned, you can do "setenv PYTHON /usr/local/bin/mypython" (at
the Octave prompt) before running any symbolic commands (or do a
"sympref reset" if you already have symbolic variables).

If the the PYTHON env var is unset, it defaults to simply "python".  A
new feature (intended for distros and other packagers) is that this
default command can be changed in
"symbolic-2.7.0/private/defaultpython.m"  Fedora sets this to "python3"
for example.  So that might be an appropriate place for site-wide
configuration.

BTW, other than the new defaultpython.m file, I don't think this
treatment has changed since the previous 2.6.0.  How were you doing it
before?

Colin

Re: Symbolic package 2.7.0

Marius Schamschula-5
Colin,

Thanks! I did not catch the existence of the new defaultpython.m file. It will be simple to patch it rather than sympref.m.

> On Jul 27, 2018, at 3:01 PM, Colin Macdonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2018-07-27 06:35 AM, Marius Schamschula wrote:
>> It looks like the PYTHON env variable is no longer set at install time. In the previous version I could specify which version of Python and sympy I wanted to use.
>> In MacPorts, where there are typically multiple Python versions installed - never mind the macOS version (which symbolic seems to default to),  this means that the user has to either set PYTHON in .octaverc or at the prompt for each octave session.
>
> As you mentioned, you can do "setenv PYTHON /usr/local/bin/mypython" (at the Octave prompt) before running any symbolic commands (or do a "sympref reset" if you already have symbolic variables).
>
> If the the PYTHON env var is unset, it defaults to simply "python".  A new feature (intended for distros and other packagers) is that this default command can be changed in "symbolic-2.7.0/private/defaultpython.m"  Fedora sets this to "python3" for example.  So that might be an appropriate place for site-wide configuration.
>
> BTW, other than the new defaultpython.m file, I don't think this treatment has changed since the previous 2.6.0.  How were you doing it before?
>
> Colin

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula