Tester with MXE Windows 7 (or just Windows) and Qt 5.8 or greater

Tester with MXE Windows 7 (or just Windows) and Qt 5.8 or greater

Daniel Sebald
Is there someone using Windows 7 or the MXE equivalent as well as Qt
series 5.8 or higher?  If so, could you help confirm if there is a bug
in which the title bar of a floated QDockWidget (i.e., GUI subpanel) is
lost?  This would only involve compiling/running a development version
within the past few weeks and making observations.  The bug report is here:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54078

Thanks,

Dan

Re: Tester with MXE Windows 7 (or just Windows) and Qt 5.8 or greater

John Donoghue-3

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 13:05:11 -0500
> From: Daniel J Sebald <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Tester with MXE Windows 7 (or just Windows) and Qt 5.8 or
> greater
>
> Is there someone using Windows 7 or the MXE equivalent as well as Qt
> series 5.8 or higher?  If so, could you help confirm if there is a bug
> in which the title bar of a floated QDockWidget (i.e., GUI subpanel) is
> lost?  This would only involve compiling/running a development version
> within the past few weeks and making observations.  The bug report is
here:

> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54078
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

I submitted a patch to the tracker [1], that updates mxe-octave from 5.7.1
to Qt 5.11.0, I haven't pushed it to mxe yet, as only just got it working
for mxe octave 64 bit and not yet tested for anything else.

For it, using the current stable branch (as of this email), on my Windows 10
machine, I see the title bars and dock buttons ok.  I was seeing the missing
dock buttons yesterday with the recent stable and Qt 5.7.1

I'll try a new build with the latest dev next.

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?9655

RE: Tester with MXE Windows 7 (or just Windows) and Qt 5.8 or greater

John Donoghue-3

Actually I just realized it was the dev octave of a day or so ago, with Qt
5.7.1 that I have installed that is missing the dock buttons.

Will report back later when a new version of dev is compiled with Qt5.11

On 06/12/2018 11:59 AM, JohnD wrote:

> [...]

This is a great help, thanks.  That will save us a lot of guesswork and
avoid pursuing things that aren't the core issue.

Dan

RE: Tester with MXE Windows 7 (or just Windows) and Qt 5.8 or greater

John Donoghue-3

Finally got a build - Running a default branch octave (9ef52c25d543 Use consistent names in GUI), with Qt 5.11, there are no dock buttons on the windows when they are undocked.

On 06/14/2018 08:54 AM, JohnD wrote:

> [...]
OK, thanks.

Hmm, so that suggests no Qt bug for this issue.  That is, there has been
consistent behavior for quite a few versions of Qt now, and this bug
would be so obvious that it would have been addressed by Qt developers.

There is one line in the octave-dock-widget.cc code I commented out
because I didn't see why it was needed.  Perhaps that is what the issue
is.  I'm attaching a changeset that re-activates that line of code.
Would it be much trouble for you to temporarily apply this patch and
recompile and test?  The command is:

patch -p1 < octave-make_window_deparent-djs2018jun14.patch

Dan

octave-make_window_deparent-djs2018jun14.patch (1K) Download Attachment

RE: Tester with MXE Windows 7 (or just Windows) and Qt 5.8 or greater

John Donoghue-3

A quick compile and it appears it still doesn’t show the buttons when undocked, but I am running  a new build just to verify