Testers needed for an Octave-3.6.1 app (X86_64 only) bundle for MacOS

12

Testers needed for an Octave-3.6.1 app (X86_64 only) bundle for MacOS

bpabbott
Administrator
I've put together a *large* X86_64 app bundle for MacOS X. The DMG is about 300MB, and will expand to almost 1GB.

Its runs on MacOS 10.7 (Lion) on an i7 based Macbook Pro. It may only run on an i7 processor ... and/or only on MacOS 10.7.

If anyone is interested in giving it a test-drive, I've started an upload to my DropBox. The public link is below.

        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-3.6.1.app.dmg

If you give it a try, please let me know if it runs, if plotting works, your Mac's processor, and the MacOS version your Mac runs. These last two bits of info are available from "About This Mac".

Ben

Re: Testers needed for an Octave-3.6.1 app (X86_64 only) bundle for MacOS

bpabbott
Administrator
On Mar 1, 2012, at 8:50 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> I've put together a *large* X86_64 app bundle for MacOS X. The DMG is about 300MB, and will expand to almost 1GB.
>
> Its runs on MacOS 10.7 (Lion) on an i7 based Macbook Pro. It may only run on an i7 processor ... and/or only on MacOS 10.7.
>
> If anyone is interested in giving it a test-drive, I've started an upload to my DropBox. The public link is below.
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-3.6.1.app.dmg
>
> If you give it a try, please let me know if it runs, if plotting works, your Mac's processor, and the MacOS version your Mac runs. These last two bits of info are available from "About This Mac".
>
> Ben

An alternative download for those without DropBox is below.

        http://files.me.com/bpabbott/z76upg

Ben

Re: Testers needed for an Octave-3.6.1 app (X86_64 only) bundle for MacOS

Liam Groener-2

On Mar 1, 2012, at 5:50 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

I've put together a *large* X86_64 app bundle for MacOS X. The DMG is about 300MB, and will expand to almost 1GB.

Its runs on MacOS 10.7 (Lion) on an i7 based Macbook Pro. It may only run on an i7 processor ... and/or only on MacOS 10.7.

If anyone is interested in giving it a test-drive, I've started an upload to my DropBox. The public link is below.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-3.6.1.app.dmg

If you give it a try, please let me know if it runs, if plotting works, your Mac's processor, and the MacOS version your Mac runs. These last two bits of info are available from "About This Mac".

I installed it on both my MacBook Air (core 2 duo) and my iMac (i7), both running OS X 10.7.3. Ran a simple plot (plot(1:10)) on each with both gnuplot and fltk. All worked as expected. I'll let you know if any problems pop up latter. Let me know if you want me to test anything specific.

Liam G.

On Mar 1, 2012, at 9:28 PM, Liam Groener wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2012, at 5:50 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> I've put together a *large* X86_64 app bundle for MacOS X. The DMG is about 300MB, and will expand to almost 1GB.
>>
>> Its runs on MacOS 10.7 (Lion) on an i7 based Macbook Pro. It may only run on an i7 processor ... and/or only on MacOS 10.7.
>>
>> If anyone is interested in giving it a test-drive, I've started an upload to my DropBox. The public link is below.
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-3.6.1.app.dmg
>>
>> If you give it a try, please let me know if it runs, if plotting works, your Mac's processor, and the MacOS version your Mac runs. These last two bits of info are available from "About This Mac".
>
> I installed it on both my MacBook Air (core 2 duo) and my iMac (i7), both running OS X 10.7.3. Ran a simple plot (plot(1:10)) on each with both gnuplot and fltk. All worked as expected. I'll let you know if any problems pop up latter. Let me know if you want me to test anything specific.
>
> Liam G.

Thanks Liam.

I had tried on Core 2 duo running Snow Leopard, but it failed. That box also has Fink installed, while the app is built via MacPorts.

Do you have Fink or MacPorts  (other pkg manager?) installed?

Ben

On Mar 2, 2012, at 4:43 AM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Mar 1, 2012, at 5:50 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>
>>> I've put together a *large* X86_64 app bundle for MacOS X. The DMG is about 300MB, and will expand to almost 1GB.
>>>
>>> Its runs on MacOS 10.7 (Lion) on an i7 based Macbook Pro. It may only run on an i7 processor ... and/or only on MacOS 10.7.
>>>
>>> If anyone is interested in giving it a test-drive, I've started an upload to my DropBox. The public link is below.
>>>
>>>    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-3.6.1.app.dmg
>>>
>>> If you give it a try, please let me know if it runs, if plotting works, your Mac's processor, and the MacOS version your Mac runs. These last two bits of info are available from "About This Mac".
>>
>> I installed it on both my MacBook Air (core 2 duo) and my iMac (i7), both running OS X 10.7.3. Ran a simple plot (plot(1:10)) on each with both gnuplot and fltk. All worked as expected. I'll let you know if any problems pop up latter. Let me know if you want me to test anything specific.
>>
>> Liam G.
>
> Thanks Liam.
>
> I had tried on Core 2 duo running Snow Leopard, but it failed. That box also has Fink installed, while the app is built via MacPorts.
>
> Do you have Fink or MacPorts  (other pkg manager?) installed?

Yes, I have both on both machines, but only use macports now days.

2nd pass for Octave-3.6.1 app (X86_64 only) bundle for MacOS

bpabbott
I've had mixed results with the MacOS X86_64 Octave-3.6.1

The bundle worked on MacOS Lion on Core 2 Duo, or Core i7 with MacPorts installed.

Also worked on MacOS Snow Leopard on Core 2 Duo with MacPorts installed.

In another case, It did not run on Cure 2 Duo with Snow Leopard.

Also failed on a Core i7 with Lion.

I've fixed a few bugs in the launch scripts, and made some minor improvements in the DMG. The new version is below.

        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1.dmg

I've just started the uploaded of the dmg. I expect the upload to complete within an hour of when I send out this email.

For those who had trouble with the first version, I'm particularly interested in how this one works for you.

I'm also interested in hearing from anyone else, including those who had success the first time.

When reporting, please include (1) MacOS version, (2) Which CPU your Mac has, (3) whether or not you have MacPorts or Fink installed.

TiA
Ben

Re: 2nd pass for Octave-3.6.1 app (X86_64 only) bundle for MacOS

rocketdude
On Mar 3, 2012, at 6:55 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> I've had mixed results with the MacOS X86_64 Octave-3.6.1
>
> The bundle worked on MacOS Lion on Core 2 Duo, or Core i7 with MacPorts installed.
>
> Also worked on MacOS Snow Leopard on Core 2 Duo with MacPorts installed.
>
> In another case, It did not run on Cure 2 Duo with Snow Leopard.
>
> Also failed on a Core i7 with Lion.
>
> I've fixed a few bugs in the launch scripts, and made some minor improvements in the DMG. The new version is below.
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1.dmg
>
> I've just started the uploaded of the dmg. I expect the upload to complete within an hour of when I send out this email.
>
> For those who had trouble with the first version, I'm particularly interested in how this one works for you.
>
> I'm also interested in hearing from anyone else, including those who had success the first time.
>
> When reporting, please include (1) MacOS version, (2) Which CPU your Mac has, (3) whether or not you have MacPorts or Fink installed.
>
> TiA
> Ben

Cure 2 Duo with Snow Leopard
Macports installed and octave-devel @3.6.1 deactivated

opens up with no errors right out of the DMG - rather than copying it to a separate hard drive location (I verified that my results are the same whether it's run out of the DMG or from a separate hard disk location)
starts up in a Terminal.

basic math functions work.

plotting did not work - plot(1:10,'.-') brought up an aquaterm window, but no plot was displayed.
close all did not actually close the blank aquaterm window
even tried to change Aquaterm prefs, but "client control" box didn't allow octave to close the aquaterm window.

Tom

On Mar 3, 2012, at 11:38 PM, Thomas Yengst wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2012, at 6:55 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> I've had mixed results with the MacOS X86_64 Octave-3.6.1
>>
>> The bundle worked on MacOS Lion on Core 2 Duo, or Core i7 with MacPorts installed.
>>
>> Also worked on MacOS Snow Leopard on Core 2 Duo with MacPorts installed.
>>
>> In another case, It did not run on Cure 2 Duo with Snow Leopard.
>>
>> Also failed on a Core i7 with Lion.
>>
>> I've fixed a few bugs in the launch scripts, and made some minor improvements in the DMG. The new version is below.
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1.dmg
>>
>> I've just started the uploaded of the dmg. I expect the upload to complete within an hour of when I send out this email.
>>
>> For those who had trouble with the first version, I'm particularly interested in how this one works for you.
>>
>> I'm also interested in hearing from anyone else, including those who had success the first time.
>>
>> When reporting, please include (1) MacOS version, (2) Which CPU your Mac has, (3) whether or not you have MacPorts or Fink installed.
>>
>> TiA
>> Ben
>>
> Cure 2 Duo with Snow Leopard
> Macports installed and octave-devel @3.6.1 deactivated
>
> opens up with no errors right out of the DMG - rather than copying it to a separate hard drive location (I verified that my results are the same whether it's run out of the DMG or from a separate hard disk location)
> starts up in a Terminal.
>
> basic math functions work.
>
> plotting did not work - plot(1:10,'.-') brought up an aquaterm window, but no plot was displayed.
> close all did not actually close the blank aquaterm window
> even tried to change Aquaterm prefs, but "client control" box didn't allow octave to close the aquaterm window.
>
> Tom

I haven't had the time to debug the Aquaterm problems yet.  We're both running MacPorts and my Aquaterm is active

$ port installed aquaterm
  aquaterm @1.0.1_5
  aquaterm @1.0.1_5+universal (active)

Is your's active as well ?

I suspect if the aquaterm stuff that is bundled isn't complete and requires the part in /Applications/MacPorts/Aquaterm.app (or something else).

In any event, you can test drive plots using x11 ...

        close all
        setenv GNUTERM x11
        plot (rand (3))

On Mar 4, 2012, at 1:32 AM, Berend Hasselman wrote:

> On 04-03-2012, at 03:55, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> I've had mixed results with the MacOS X86_64 Octave-3.6.1
>>
>> The bundle worked on MacOS Lion on Core 2 Duo, or Core i7 with MacPorts installed.
>>
>> Also worked on MacOS Snow Leopard on Core 2 Duo with MacPorts installed.
>>
>> In another case, It did not run on Cure 2 Duo with Snow Leopard.
>>
>> Also failed on a Core i7 with Lion.
>>
>> I've fixed a few bugs in the launch scripts, and made some minor improvements in the DMG. The new version is below.
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1.dmg
>>
>> I've just started the uploaded of the dmg. I expect the upload to complete within an hour of when I send out this email.
>>
>> For those who had trouble with the first version, I'm particularly interested in how this one works for you.
>>
>> I'm also interested in hearing from anyone else, including those who had success the first time.
>>
>> When reporting, please include (1) MacOS version, (2) Which CPU your Mac has, (3) whether or not you have MacPorts or Fink installed.
>
> Mac OS X 10.6.8
> Mac Mini mid 2011 Intel C2D 2.66Ghz.
> No MacPorts or Fink installed.
>

> Again an immediate crash:
>
> Last login: Sun Mar  4 06:53:32 on ttys000
> exec '/Applications/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave'
> [.../~]: exec '/Applications/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave'
> terminate called after throwing an instance of '__gnu_cxx::__concurrence_lock_error'
>  what():  __gnu_cxx::__concurrence_lock_error
> /Applications/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave: line 84:  1146 Abort trap              OCTAVE_HOME="${OCTAVE_HOME}" PATH="${PATH}" DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH="${DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH}" CC="${CC}" CXX="${CXX}" CFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" CPPFLAGS="${CPPFLAGS}" CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS}" FFLAGS="${FFLAGS}" LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}" DL_LDFLAGS="${DL_LDFLAGS}" SED="$SED" MAGICK_HOME="${ROOT}" FONTCONFIG_PATH="${ROOT}/etc/fonts" DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH="${DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH}" "${ROOT}/bin/octave-$VER" "$@"
>

> I have attached the crash report.
>
> Berend
> <octave-3.6.1_2012-03-04-072703_Macintosh-3.crash>

Thanks for the crash report. I'd hoped that would help, but I don't see anything unexpected.

I've seen this error on a MacMini I have access to. It is also Core 2 Duo running MacOS 10.6.8. The only difference is that it has Fink installed.

I'm confident that Core 2 Duo with Snow Leopard qualifies as X86_64 (another user verified the app ran on a MacBook Pro C2D running MacOS 10.6.8). This can be verified by "uname -m".

The other also user had MacPorts installed. In fact, it appears that everyone who has been able to run the app had MacPorts installed.

What is strange, is that if I rename the directory where MacPorts lives, the app still runs for me.

In any event, I'll have to do some experimenting and see if I can figure out what is wrong. Perhaps I should use "otool -L" to identify all the libs the app is using.

If anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate the help.

On Mar 4, 2012, at 7:20 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2012, at 11:38 PM, Thomas Yengst wrote:
>
>> On Mar 3, 2012, at 6:55 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>
>>> I've had mixed results with the MacOS X86_64 Octave-3.6.1
>>>
>>> The bundle worked on MacOS Lion on Core 2 Duo, or Core i7 with MacPorts installed.
>>>
>>> Also worked on MacOS Snow Leopard on Core 2 Duo with MacPorts installed.
>>>
>>> In another case, It did not run on Cure 2 Duo with Snow Leopard.
>>>
>>> Also failed on a Core i7 with Lion.
>>>
>>> I've fixed a few bugs in the launch scripts, and made some minor improvements in the DMG. The new version is below.
>>>
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1.dmg
>>>
>>> I've just started the uploaded of the dmg. I expect the upload to complete within an hour of when I send out this email.
>>>
>>> For those who had trouble with the first version, I'm particularly interested in how this one works for you.
>>>
>>> I'm also interested in hearing from anyone else, including those who had success the first time.
>>>
>>> When reporting, please include (1) MacOS version, (2) Which CPU your Mac has, (3) whether or not you have MacPorts or Fink installed.
>>>
>>> TiA
>>> Ben

Ben,

For completeness, I tried this version on a vanilla macmini (Snow Leopard 10.6.8), Core Duo, 32-bit only machine with no macports.
Got the following error on startup (it did get all the way through starting up though)

exec '/Volumes/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave'
home:~ yengst$ exec '/Volumes/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave'
/Volumes/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave: line 77: /Volumes/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave-3.6.1: Bad CPU type in executable

guess that is expected given the CPU types that you had prepared the app for.

Tom

Re: 2nd pass for Octave-3.6.1 app (X86_64 only) bundle for MacOS

rocketdude

On Mar 4, 2012, at 7:20 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2012, at 11:38 PM, Thomas Yengst wrote:
>
>> On Mar 3, 2012, at 6:55 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>
>>> I've had mixed results with the MacOS X86_64 Octave-3.6.1
>>>
>>> The bundle worked on MacOS Lion on Core 2 Duo, or Core i7 with MacPorts installed.
>>>
>>> Also worked on MacOS Snow Leopard on Core 2 Duo with MacPorts installed.
>>>
>>> In another case, It did not run on Cure 2 Duo with Snow Leopard.
>>>
>>> Also failed on a Core i7 with Lion.
>>>
>>> I've fixed a few bugs in the launch scripts, and made some minor improvements in the DMG. The new version is below.
>>>
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1.dmg
>>>
>>> I've just started the uploaded of the dmg. I expect the upload to complete within an hour of when I send out this email.
>>>
>>> For those who had trouble with the first version, I'm particularly interested in how this one works for you.
>>>
>>> I'm also interested in hearing from anyone else, including those who had success the first time.
>>>
>>> When reporting, please include (1) MacOS version, (2) Which CPU your Mac has, (3) whether or not you have MacPorts or Fink installed.
>>>
>>> TiA
>>> Ben
>>>
>> Cure 2 Duo with Snow Leopard
>> Macports installed and octave-devel @3.6.1 deactivated
>>
>> opens up with no errors right out of the DMG - rather than copying it to a separate hard drive location (I verified that my results are the same whether it's run out of the DMG or from a separate hard disk location)
>> starts up in a Terminal.
>>
>> basic math functions work.
>>
>> plotting did not work - plot(1:10,'.-') brought up an aquaterm window, but no plot was displayed.
>> close all did not actually close the blank aquaterm window
>> even tried to change Aquaterm prefs, but "client control" box didn't allow octave to close the aquaterm window.
>>
>> Tom
>
> I haven't had the time to debug the Aquaterm problems yet.  We're both running MacPorts and my Aquaterm is active
>
> $ port installed aquaterm
> The following ports are currently installed:
>  aquaterm @1.0.1_5
>  aquaterm @1.0.1_5+universal (active)
>
> Is your's active as well ?
>
> I suspect if the aquaterm stuff that is bundled isn't complete and requires the part in /Applications/MacPorts/Aquaterm.app (or something else).
>
> In any event, you can test drive plots using x11 ...
>
> close all
> setenv GNUTERM x11
> plot (rand (3))
>
> Ben

Ben,

silly me - when I moved my .octaverc file out of the way, it removed the setenv GNUTERM x11 call, so that was what kept plotting from working.
I have aquaterm active as you do.
now everything works as expected.

quite nice. No installation is even necessary. Just run it from the DMG. You can even run octave from a USB stick now.

Tom

On Mar 4, 2012, at 10:40 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> [...]
>
> I've seen this error on a MacMini I have access to. It is also Core 2 Duo running MacOS 10.6.8. The only difference is that it has Fink installed.
>
> I'm confident that Core 2 Duo with Snow Leopard qualifies as X86_64 (another user verified the app ran on a MacBook Pro C2D running MacOS 10.6.8). This can be verified by "uname -m".
>
> The other also user had MacPorts installed. In fact, it appears that everyone who has been able to run the app had MacPorts installed.
>
> What is strange, is that if I rename the directory where MacPorts lives, the app still runs for me.
>
> In any event, I'll have to do some experimenting and see if I can figure out what is wrong. Perhaps I should use "otool -L" to identify all the libs the app is using.
>
> If anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate the help.

I tried the app on a MacBook Pro, Core i7, MacOS 10.7.3 with no MacPorts or Fink installed. Octave-3.6.1.app runs fine, but does not plot.

The bundled Gnuplot is unable to locate Aquaterm or its X11 driver (gnuplot_x11).

The fltk toolkit works, but when I try to print the bundled ghostscript complains it can't find gs_init.ps (which is included in the app).

In each of these cases, I suspect properly setting some environment variables will fix things.

When I have time, I look into that. As always, if anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate the help.

Ben

3rd pass for Octave-3.6.1 app (X86_64 only) bundle for MacOS

bpabbott
The testing for the 2nd pass went well on all X86_64 Macs with the exception of the Mac Mini Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard. There are two examples where that combination does not work (I have no explanation for why the Mac Mini Core 2 Duo + Snow Leopard is a problem).

However, the app runs fine on a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard and/or Lion.

In all cases, the app runs for Core i7 processors running either Snow Leopard and Lion.

The 3rd test app is available at the link below.

        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1.dmg

My dropbox should be synchronized in an hour or so.

Graphics for the 3rd attempt should be fully functional ...

        close all
        graphics_toolkit gnuplot
        plot (rand (3))
        print -dpdfwrite gnuplot.pdf
        graphics_toolkit fltk
        figure 92)
        peaks
        print -dpdfwrite fltk.pdf

If the above commands work, then the OpenGL, Gnuplot, and ghostscript are all working.

I've also tested a mkoctfile example from the manual. I'm able to compile and run "helloworld.cc" from Octave's command line.

The parts left to test are epstool (cropping eps bbox), fig2dev (fig and emf output), and compiling mex-files.

Ben

Re: 3rd pass for Octave-3.6.1 app (X86_64 only) bundle for MacOS

bpabbott
Administrator
On Mar 5, 2012, at 7:52 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> The testing for the 2nd pass went well on all X86_64 Macs with the exception of the Mac Mini Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard. There are two examples where that combination does not work (I have no explanation for why the Mac Mini Core 2 Duo + Snow Leopard is a problem).
>
> However, the app runs fine on a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard and/or Lion.
>
> In all cases, the app runs for Core i7 processors running either Snow Leopard and Lion.
>
> The 3rd test app is available at the link below.
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1.dmg
>
> My dropbox should be synchronized in an hour or so.
>
> Graphics for the 3rd attempt should be fully functional ...
>
> close all
> graphics_toolkit gnuplot
> plot (rand (3))
> print -dpdfwrite gnuplot.pdf
> graphics_toolkit fltk
> figure 92)
> peaks
> print -dpdfwrite fltk.pdf
>
> If the above commands work, then the OpenGL, Gnuplot, and ghostscript are all working.
>
> I've also tested a mkoctfile example from the manual. I'm able to compile and run "helloworld.cc" from Octave's command line.
>
> The parts left to test are epstool (cropping eps bbox), fig2dev (fig and emf output), and compiling mex-files.
>
> Ben

I verified that compiling mex-files works.

The fig and emf output also work, as does specifying a tight bbox.

Ben

On Mar 5, 2012, at 4:52 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> The testing for the 2nd pass went well on all X86_64 Macs with the exception of the Mac Mini Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard. There are two examples where that combination does not work (I have no explanation for why the Mac Mini Core 2 Duo + Snow Leopard is a problem).
>
> However, the app runs fine on a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard and/or Lion.
>
> In all cases, the app runs for Core i7 processors running either Snow Leopard and Lion.
>
> The 3rd test app is available at the link below.
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1.dmg
>
> My dropbox should be synchronized in an hour or so.
>
> Graphics for the 3rd attempt should be fully functional ...
>
> close all
> graphics_toolkit gnuplot
> plot (rand (3))
> print -dpdfwrite gnuplot.pdf
> graphics_toolkit fltk
> figure 92)
> peaks
> print -dpdfwrite fltk.pdf
>
> If the above commands work, then the OpenGL, Gnuplot, and ghostscript are all working.
>
> I've also tested a mkoctfile example from the manual. I'm able to compile and run "helloworld.cc" from Octave's command line.
>
> The parts left to test are epstool (cropping eps bbox), fig2dev (fig and emf output), and compiling mex-files.
>
> Ben

Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

everything works, even the menu item that says "Print Front Window"
Congrats.

Tom

On Mar 6, 2012, at 7:25 AM, Berend Hasselman wrote:

> On 06-03-2012, at 03:10, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 7:52 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>
>>> The testing for the 2nd pass went well on all X86_64 Macs with the exception of the Mac Mini Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard. There are two examples where that combination does not work (I have no explanation for why the Mac Mini Core 2 Duo + Snow Leopard is a problem).
>>>
>>> However, the app runs fine on a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard and/or Lion.
>>>
>>> In all cases, the app runs for Core i7 processors running either Snow Leopard and Lion.
>>>
>>> The 3rd test app is available at the link below.
>>>
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1.dmg
>>>
>>> My dropbox should be synchronized in an hour or so.
>>>
>>> Graphics for the 3rd attempt should be fully functional ...
>>>
>>> close all
>>> graphics_toolkit gnuplot
>>> plot (rand (3))
>>> print -dpdfwrite gnuplot.pdf
>>> graphics_toolkit fltk
>>> figure 92)
>>> peaks
>>> print -dpdfwrite fltk.pdf
>>>
>>> If the above commands work, then the OpenGL, Gnuplot, and ghostscript are all working.
>>>
>>> I've also tested a mkoctfile example from the manual. I'm able to compile and run "helloworld.cc" from Octave's command line.
>>>
>>> The parts left to test are epstool (cropping eps bbox), fig2dev (fig and emf output), and compiling mex-files.
>
> 3rd pass still fails on my machine with the same error as  the previous pass.
> This is regardless of where I put Octave-3.6.1.app (in /Applications or somewhere else).
>
> Berend
>
> Running
>
> Mac OS X 10.6.8
> Mac Mini mid 2011 Intel C2D 2.66Ghz.
> No MacPorts or Fink installed.
>
> Last login: Sun Mar  4 06:53:32 on ttys000
> exec '/Applications/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave'
> [.../~]: exec '/Applications/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave'
> terminate called after throwing an instance of '__gnu_cxx::__concurrence_lock_error'
> what():  __gnu_cxx::__concurrence_lock_error
> /Applications/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave: line 84:  1146 Abort trap              OCTAVE_HOME="${OCTAVE_HOME}" PATH="${PATH}" DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH="${DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH}" CC="${CC}" CXX="${CXX}" CFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" CPPFLAGS="${CPPFLAGS}" CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS}" FFLAGS="${FFLAGS}" LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}" DL_LDFLAGS="${DL_LDFLAGS}" SED="$SED" MAGICK_HOME="${ROOT}" FONTCONFIG_PATH="${ROOT}/etc/fonts" DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH="${DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH}" "${ROOT}/bin/octave-$VER" "$@"

I access to a Mac Mini mid 2011 Intel C2D 2.66Ghz at work and get the same result.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/libstdc++-html-USERS-4.2/class____gnu__cxx_1_1____concurrence__lock__error.html

There's very little I can find via Google on this. Since I don't yet have any good ideas for what might be wrong, this one may take some time to fix.

Ben

Re: 3rd pass for Octave-3.6.1 app (X86_64 only) bundle for MacOS

rdzman
bpabbott wrote
The 3rd test app is available at the link below.

        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1.dmg
I attempted this version on a MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, OS X 10.6.8 with no MacPorts or Fink or anything, and I get the following error ...

$ exec '/Applications/-math/Octave3.6.1/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave'
terminate called after throwing an instance of '__gnu_cxx::__concurrence_lock_error'
  what():  __gnu_cxx::__concurrence_lock_error
/Applications/-math/Octave3.6.1/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave: line 124: 83963 Abort trap              OCTAVE_HOME="${OCTAVE_HOME}" PATH="${PATH}" DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH="${DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH}" CC="${CC}" CXX="${CXX}" F77="${F77}" LD_CXX="${CXX}" DL_LD="${CXX}" CFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" CPPFLAGS="${CPPFLAGS}" CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS}" XTRA_CXXFLAGS="${XTRA_CXXFLAGS}" FFLAGS="${FFLAGS}" LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}" FLIBS="${FLIBS}" DL_LDFLAGS="${DL_LDFLAGS}" INCLUDEDIR="${INCLUDEDIR}" LIBDIR="${LIBDIR}" OCTINCLUDEDIR="${OCTINCLUDEDIR}" OCTLIBDIR="${OCTLIBDIR}" OCT_LINK_OPTS="${OCT_LINK_OPTS}" SED="$SED" MAGICK_HOME="${ROOT}" FONTCONFIG_PATH="${ROOT}/etc/fonts" GS_FONTPATH="${GS_FONTPATH}" GS_LIB="${GS_LIB}" GS_OPTIONS="${GS_OPTIONS}" DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH="${DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH}" GNUTERM="${GNUTERM}" GNUTERMAPP="${GNUTERMAPP}" AQUATERM_PATH="${GNUTERMAPP}" "${ROOT}/bin/octave-$VER" "$@"

Any ideas?

On Mar 9, 2012, at 12:47 PM, rdzman wrote:

> bpabbott wrote
>>
>> The 3rd test app is available at the link below.
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1.dmg
>
> I attempted this version on a MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, OS X 10.6.8 with no
> MacPorts or Fink or anything, and I get the following error ...
>
> Any ideas?

Nabble ate your attachment. Can you email the list directly ?

Are you seeing the error below ?

Ben

On Mar 9, 2012, at 1:19 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2012, at 12:47 PM, rdzman wrote:
>
>> bpabbott wrote
>>>
>>> The 3rd test app is available at the link below.
>>>
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1.dmg
>>
>> I attempted this version on a MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, OS X 10.6.8 with no
>> MacPorts or Fink or anything, and I get the following error ...
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Nabble ate your attachment. Can you email the list directly ?
>
> Are you seeing the error below ?
>
>  exec '/Applications/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave'
>  [.../~]: exec '/Applications/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave'
>  terminate called after throwing an instance of '__gnu_cxx::__concurrence_lock_error'
>  what():  __gnu_cxx::__concurrence_lock_error
>  /Applications/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave: line 84:  1146 Abort trap
>
> Ben

Yeah, sorry about that ... yes, that was the error I got.

   Ray

On Mar 9, 2012, at 1:27 PM, Ray Zimmerman wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2012, at 1:19 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Mar 9, 2012, at 12:47 PM, rdzman wrote:
>>
>>> bpabbott wrote

>>> I attempted this version on a MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, OS X 10.6.8 with no
>>> MacPorts or Fink or anything, and I get the following error ...
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Nabble ate your attachment. Can you email the list directly ?
>>
>> Are you seeing the error below ?
>>
>> exec '/Applications/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave'
>> [.../~]: exec '/Applications/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave'
>> terminate called after throwing an instance of '__gnu_cxx::__concurrence_lock_error'
>> what():  __gnu_cxx::__concurrence_lock_error
>> /Applications/Octave-3.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/bin/octave: line 84:  1146 Abort trap
>>
>> Ben
>
> Yeah, sorry about that ... yes, that was the error I got.
>
>   Ray

Ray, Thanks for the report.

It appears my 3rd attempt works well on MacOS Lion but *often*, but not always, has problems on 10.6.8.

What version of Xcode do you have installed ? I see error with Xcode 3.2.6 on Core 2 Duo running MacOS 10.6.8.

Thomas, Can you check which Xcode you are have installed as well ?

Ben

12