Text not wrapping in the editor window

Matthew Anders
Thanks in advance for any help!

I just recently installed octave 4.0.3 with gui for Mac. I am running the latest macOS Sierra (10.12.06) on a mid 2012 MacBook Pro. So far it has run beautifully for my classes I need Matlab for. The only problem I am having with it s the text in the editor window will not wrap after a certain amount of characters typed. In class we use Matlab and it auto wraps the text after a certain point but I cannot get Octave to do the same thing. I have putting the horizontal-scroll-mode off in the inputrc file but it still just continues on one line. Am I doing something wrong or is there just a setting somewhere that I am missing?

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Text not wrapping in the editor window

Mike Miller-4
On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 20:52:05 -0600, Matthew Anders wrote:

> I just recently installed octave 4.0.3 with gui for Mac. I am running
> the latest macOS Sierra (10.12.06) on a mid 2012 MacBook Pro. So far
> it has run beautifully for my classes I need Matlab for. The only
> problem I am having with it s the text in the editor window will not
> wrap after a certain amount of characters typed. In class we use
> Matlab and it auto wraps the text after a certain point but I cannot
> get Octave to do the same thing. I have putting the
> horizontal-scroll-mode off in the inputrc file but it still just
> continues on one line. Am I doing something wrong or is there just a
> setting somewhere that I am missing?

There will be a setting to allow long lines to wrap or to automatically
insert line breaks in Octave 4.4. In Octave 4.0 or 4.2 there is no
configuration for this in the editor.

Re: Text not wrapping in the editor window

Matthew Anders
Awesome! Thank you so much for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 21, 2017, at 11:41 AM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 20:52:05 -0600, Matthew Anders wrote:
>> I just recently installed octave 4.0.3 with gui for Mac. I am running
>> the latest macOS Sierra (10.12.06) on a mid 2012 MacBook Pro. So far
>> it has run beautifully for my classes I need Matlab for. The only
>> problem I am having with it s the text in the editor window will not
>> wrap after a certain amount of characters typed. In class we use
>> Matlab and it auto wraps the text after a certain point but I cannot
>> get Octave to do the same thing. I have putting the
>> horizontal-scroll-mode off in the inputrc file but it still just
>> continues on one line. Am I doing something wrong or is there just a
>> setting somewhere that I am missing?
>
> There will be a setting to allow long lines to wrap or to automatically
> insert line breaks in Octave 4.4. In Octave 4.0 or 4.2 there is no
> configuration for this in the editor.
>
> --
> mike

Re: Text not wrapping in the editor window

Torsten-3
On 21.07.2017 04:52, Matthew Anders wrote:
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> I just recently installed octave 4.0.3 with gui for Mac. I am running the latest macOS Sierra (10.12.06) on a mid 2012 MacBook Pro. So far it has run beautifully for my classes I need Matlab for. The only problem I am having with it s the text in the editor window will not wrap after a certain amount of characters typed. In class we use Matlab and it auto wraps the text after a certain point but I cannot get Octave to do the same thing. I have putting the horizontal-scroll-mode off in the inputrc file but it still just continues on one line. Am I doing something wrong or is there just a setting somewhere that I am missing?

Hi Matthew, Welcome to Octave!
The possibility of line wrapping in the editor was implemented with
changeset http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/751c389404b9,
i.e., in the default branch. This feature will be available in the
release 4.4 of octave.

Torsten