Tips: you must run close when using Octave in Emacs under MS-Windows

Tips: you must run close when using Octave in Emacs under MS-Windows

Chris Zheng

Dear list,

I use Octave in Emacs under MS Windows. With recent versions of Octave
(e.g. octave-4.2.2-w64.zip), all the plot commands do not work. That
is to say, if I run “plot(1:10)”, nothing happened and octave showed
me the prompt again. I struggled with this issue for some
time. Finally, I find the solution:

You must run “close” or “close all” before any plot commands.

When I was frustrated with the problem I searched the Internet and see
no clear answer. So I post my solution here in case it might be
helpful for Octave and Emacs users.

More details:

OS: MS Windows 8.1

Emacs version: 27.0.50 of 2018-03-26, the master branch

Configuration for Octave in Emacs:
(setq inferior-octave-program "C:/octave/bin/octave-gui.exe")
and put "C:\\octave\\bin;" before the old PATH.

Using empty .octaverc is useless. Adding “close” or “close all” to
.octaverc is useless.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Re: Tips: you must run close when using Octave in Emacs under MS-Windows

tmacchant
--- chriszheng99

> Dear list,
>
> I use Octave in Emacs under MS Windows. With recent versions of Octave
> (e.g. octave-4.2.2-w64.zip), all the plot commands do not work. That
> is to say, if I run “plot(1:10)”, nothing happened and octave showed
> me the prompt again. I struggled with this issue for some
> time. Finally, I find the solution:
>
> You must run “close” or “close all” before any plot commands.
>
> When I was frustrated with the problem I searched the Internet and see
> no clear answer. So I post my solution here in case it might be
> helpful for Octave and Emacs users.
>
> More details:
>
> OS: MS Windows 8.1
>
> Emacs version: 27.0.50 of 2018-03-26, the master branch
>
> Configuration for Octave in Emacs:
> (setq inferior-octave-program "C:/octave/bin/octave-gui.exe")
> and put "C:\\octave\\bin;" before the old PATH.
>
> Using empty .octaverc is useless. Adding “close” or “close all” to
> .octaverc is useless.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Chris

Octave team do not support octave+emacs and I  do not know persons appearing frequently on this list who are using octave + emacs.

please wait without expecting any support.

Tatsuro

Re: Tips: you must run close when using Octave in Emacs under MS-Windows

tmacchant

>>  I use Octave in Emacs under MS Windows. With recent versions of Octave
>>  (e.g. octave-4.2.2-w64.zip), all the plot commands do not work. That
>>  is to say, if I run “plot(1:10)”, nothing happened and octave showed
>>  me the prompt again. I struggled with this issue for some
>>  time. Finally, I find the solution:
>>
>>  You must run “close” or “close all” before any plot commands.
>>
>>  When I was frustrated with the problem I searched the Internet and see
>>  no clear answer. So I post my solution here in case it might be
>>  helpful for Octave and Emacs users.
>>
>>  More details:
>>
>>  OS: MS Windows 8.1
>>
>>  Emacs version: 27.0.50 of 2018-03-26, the master branch
>>
>>  Configuration for Octave in Emacs:
>>  (setq inferior-octave-program "C:/octave/bin/octave-gui.exe")
>>  and put "C:\\octave\\bin;" before the old PATH.
>>
>>  Using empty .octaverc is useless. Adding “close” or “close all” to
>>  .octaverc is useless.
>>
>>  Hope this helps,
>>
>>  Chris
>
> Octave team do not support octave+emacs and I  do not know persons appearing
> frequently on this list who are using octave + emacs.
>
> please wait without expecting any support.
>

> Tatsuro

Before starting octave for windows you should prepare environmental setting.
Please see octave.vbs and consider what you should do.

Tatsuro

Re: Tips: you must run close when using Octave in Emacs under MS-Windows

Chris Zheng
On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 15:00:56 +0800,

Hello Tatsuro,

Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> [...]

I know the Octave+Emacs+Windows combination is uncommon. That’s why I
share my experience to the list. I think I found the right place to
post because the help-gnu-emacs list is not Octave-oriented. And my
solution here may be indexed by the search engine with Octave
keywords.

I did what the octave.vbs did in Emacs but still faced the
above-mentioned problem. By now I’m satisfied with my solution.

Thank you,

Chris