Transform Matrix from sets of points

Mirea Andrei Marian
Hello Octave Community!

I haven't used Octave since I graduated College and even letting "downtime" aside I wouldn't know how to approach it.

I was hoping Octave had a function for outputting the transformation matrix, affine or otherwise (projective (conformal or otherwise)), by providing input of 2 or 3 sets of points. My guess is no but who knows?
If not, how would I go about it for mapping points from a projected curved space or at least a plane space, onto a plane (projection plane)?
Note that I don't know the nature of the curved surface or the orientation of the plane to be projected. All I have is a set of points on the projected and its corresponding set on the projection surface, respectively.

Any help is warmly appreciated.

Re: Transform Matrix from sets of points

Pantxo
Mirea Andrei Marian wrote

> Hello Octave Community!
> I haven't used Octave since I graduated College and even letting
> "downtime" aside I wouldn't know how to approach it.
> I was hoping Octave had a function for outputting the transformation
> matrix, affine or otherwise (projective (conformal or otherwise)), by
> providing input of 2 or 3 sets of points. My guess is no but who knows?If
> not, how would I go about it for mapping points from a projected curved
> space or at least a plane space, onto a plane (projection plane)?Note that
> I don't know the nature of the curved surface or the orientation of the
> plane to be projected. All I have is a set of points on the projected and
> its corresponding set on the projection surface, respectively.
> Any help is warmly appreciated.

If your aim is to map points in one 2D space to another 2D space, then you
may find "cp2tform" useful:

https://octave.sourceforge.io/image/function/cp2tform.html

The function can't handle arbitrary transforms but the most common ones are
present including 2nd to 4th order polynomial.

Pantxo