Quantcast

Trying to get started

Gary Nelson-2
Greetings,

Running Mac OSX 10.8.3 with latest XCODE installed

Took suggestion to install MacPorts. Followed instructions as best I could.

Suggests I go to terminal and do this

localhost:~ garynelson$ sudo port install octave-devel +atlas+docs
Password:
Warning: The Command Line Tools for Xcode don't appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.
Warning: See http://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.xcode.html for more information.
--->  Computing dependencies for octave-develError: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?
localhost:~ garynelson$

Woops.    I find no reference anyplace in XCODE to installation of Command Line Tools.

My goal is to get Octave going.  I have developed a fair amount of SciLab code and find that this latest 10.8.3 OS plus latest Scilab 5.4.0 do not make a happy marriage. Also, math tools for Octave seem much richer so I would like to get going asap.

Thanks.

Gary Nelson

Re: Trying to get started

bpabbott
Administrator
On Mar 30, 2013, at 8:58 PM, Gary Nelson wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Running Mac OSX 10.8.3 with latest XCODE installed
>
> Took suggestion to install MacPorts. Followed instructions as best I could.
>
> Suggests I go to terminal and do this
>
> localhost:~ garynelson$ sudo port install octave-devel +atlas+docs
> Password:
> Warning: The Command Line Tools for Xcode don't appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.
> Warning: See
> http://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.xcode.html
>  for more information.
> --->  Computing dependencies for octave-develError: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?
> localhost:~ garynelson$
>

> Woops.    I find no reference anyplace in XCODE to installation of Command Line Tools.
>
> My goal is to get Octave going.  I have developed a fair amount of SciLab code and find that this latest 10.8.3 OS plus latest Scilab 5.4.0 do not make a happy marriage. Also, math tools for Octave seem much richer so I would like to get going asap.
>
> Thanks.

Did you try the instructions from the link?

        http://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.xcode.html

Ben

Re: Trying to get started

Alexander Hansen-2
On 3/30/13 5:58 PM, Gary Nelson wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Running Mac OSX 10.8.3 with latest XCODE installed
>
> Took suggestion to install MacPorts. Followed instructions as best I could.
>
> Suggests I go to terminal and do this
>
> localhost:~ garynelson$ sudo port install octave-devel +atlas+docs
> Password:
> Warning: The Command Line Tools for Xcode don't appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.
> Warning: Seehttp://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.xcode.html  for more information.
> --->  Computing dependencies for octave-develError: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?
> localhost:~ garynelson$
>
> Woops.    I find no reference anyplace in XCODE to installation of
> Command Line Tools.
>
> My goal is to get Octave going.  I have developed a fair amount of
> SciLab code and find that this latest 10.8.3 OS plus latest Scilab 5.4.0
> do not make a happy marriage. Also, math tools for Octave seem much
> richer so I would like to get going asap.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Gary Nelson
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Quoting the page you cited above:

"
2.2.1.1. Xcode 4.3

After installing Xcode 4.3, the Command Line Tools must be installed.
This is done from the Downloads section of Xcode's preferences.
"

Did you try that?
--
Alexander Hansen