Trying to make a respectable looking Hist3 plot and having big difficulty

Trying to make a respectable looking Hist3 plot and having big difficulty

Tim Pierce
Trying to understand why the Octave-Forge Hist3 Example looks like this: (see picture at bottom of online help)

        https://octave.sourceforge.io/statistics/function/hist3.html

But when I run that exact code mine looks like this

        http://imgur.com/gallery/GBoq6

When I run it on my data it looks just as bad. I would love to showcase these 3D bars showing that Octave rivals some of our overpriced BI software but right now I'm struggling with getting things to look passable

Would LOVE any help to get this looking okay

Re: Trying to make a respectable looking Hist3 plot and having big difficulty

karl
You will have to show the exact code you were running, then maybe someone can help you.
Maybe the wrong graphics-toolkit. I don't know, my crystal ball is in repair.

Trying to understand why the Octave-Forge Hist3 Example looks like this: (see picture at bottom of online help)

        https://octave.sourceforge.io/statistics/function/hist3.html

But when I run that exact code mine looks like this

        http://imgur.com/gallery/GBoq6

When I run it on my data it looks just as bad. I would love to showcase these 3D bars showing that Octave rivals some of our overpriced BI software but right now I'm struggling with getting things to look passable

Would LOVE any help to get this looking okay

Re: Trying to make a respectable looking Hist3 plot and having big difficulty

Doug Stewart-4

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 2:46 AM, Tim Pierce <[hidden email]> wrote:
Trying to understand why the Octave-Forge Hist3 Example looks like this: (see picture at bottom of online help)

        https://octave.sourceforge.io/statistics/function/hist3.html

But when I run that exact code mine looks like this

        http://imgur.com/gallery/GBoq6

When I run it on my data it looks just as bad. I would love to showcase these 3D bars showing that Octave rivals some of our overpriced BI software but right now I'm struggling with getting things to look passable

Would LOVE any help to get this looking okay

_

I tried all 3 graphic_toolkits qt fltk gnuplot  and they all showed the same poor quality plot. :-(

Re: Trying to make a respectable looking Hist3 plot and having big difficulty

Dmitri A. Sergatskov

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 2:46 AM, Tim Pierce <[hidden email]> wrote:
Trying to understand why the Octave-Forge Hist3 Example looks like this: (see picture at bottom of online help)

        https://octave.sourceforge.io/statistics/function/hist3.html

But when I run that exact code mine looks like this

        http://imgur.com/gallery/GBoq6

When I run it on my data it looks just as bad. I would love to showcase these 3D bars showing that Octave rivals some of our overpriced BI software but right now I'm struggling with getting things to look passable

Would LOVE any help to get this looking okay

_

I tried all 3 graphic_toolkits qt fltk gnuplot  and they all showed the same poor quality plot. :-(

​octave 4.2.1 / statistics 1.3.0
(result is attached)

Dmitri.

hist3.png (36K) Download Attachment

--

yes upgrading to statistics 1.3.0 fixed it!!

--
DASCertificate for 206392

Re: Trying to make a respectable looking Hist3 plot and having big difficulty

James Sherman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 2:46 AM, Tim Pierce <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Trying to understand why the Octave-Forge Hist3 Example looks like this:
>>> (see picture at bottom of online help)
>>>
>>>         https://octave.sourceforge.io/statistics/function/hist3.html
>>>
>>> But when I run that exact code mine looks like this
>>>
>>>         http://imgur.com/gallery/GBoq6
>>>

>>> When I run it on my data it looks just as bad. I would love to showcase
>>> these 3D bars showing that Octave rivals some of our overpriced BI software
>>> but right now I'm struggling with getting things to look passable
>>>
>>> Would LOVE any help to get this looking okay
>>>
>>> _
>>

>> I tried all 3 graphic_toolkits qt fltk gnuplot  and they all showed the
>> same poor quality plot. :-(
>

> octave 4.2.1 / statistics 1.3.0
> (result is attached)
>
> Dmitri.

Octave 4.2.0 /statistics 1.3.0
OS: Windows 7
Toolkit: qt

My plot looks like Dimitri's.

Re: Trying to make a respectable looking Hist3 plot and having big difficulty

Tim Pierce
It is there in the screenshot and the example link - I included in the image too - it is simply the example code exactly as is

 X = [
    1    1
    1    1
    1   10
    1   10
    5    5
    5    5
    5    5
    5    5
    5    5
    7    3
    7    3
    7    3
   10   10
   10   10];
 hist3 (X);

Crystal Ball? you only had to look - I literally I used the exact code and showed it in the image.

Thanks for your erm... sarcasm I guess

On 2 August 2017 at 13:19, <[hidden email]> wrote:
You will have to show the exact code you were running, then maybe someone can help you.
Maybe the wrong graphics-toolkit. I don't know, my crystal ball is in repair.

Trying to understand why the Octave-Forge Hist3 Example looks like this: (see picture at bottom of online help)

        https://octave.sourceforge.io/statistics/function/hist3.html

But when I run that exact code mine looks like this

        http://imgur.com/gallery/GBoq6

When I run it on my data it looks just as bad. I would love to showcase these 3D bars showing that Octave rivals some of our overpriced BI software but right now I'm struggling with getting things to look passable

Would LOVE any help to get this looking okay

Re: Trying to make a respectable looking Hist3 plot and having big difficulty

Tim Pierce
Ah so you got same as me? Thats interesing.
I should add I'm using a Windows install - this may haev a lot to do with it...

I'm actually not intelligent enough (yet) to understand how to switch between graphics packages, or how to use them - I'm just using default Octave.

Thanks Doug

On 2 August 2017 at 13:41, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 2:46 AM, Tim Pierce <[hidden email]> wrote:
Trying to understand why the Octave-Forge Hist3 Example looks like this: (see picture at bottom of online help)

        https://octave.sourceforge.io/statistics/function/hist3.html

But when I run that exact code mine looks like this

        http://imgur.com/gallery/GBoq6

When I run it on my data it looks just as bad. I would love to showcase these 3D bars showing that Octave rivals some of our overpriced BI software but right now I'm struggling with getting things to look passable

Would LOVE any help to get this looking okay

_

I tried all 3 graphic_toolkits qt fltk gnuplot  and they all showed the same poor quality plot. :-(

Re: Trying to make a respectable looking Hist3 plot and having big difficulty

Tim Pierce
That looks good - that's what I want mine to look like.... May I ask your OS ?

I'm going to guess non-Windows ?

On 2 August 2017 at 13:49, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks James and Dimitri, must be my package - yes, it's 1.2.3

Thanks guys!
Big help.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 2:46 AM, Tim Pierce <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Trying to understand why the Octave-Forge Hist3 Example looks like this:
>>> (see picture at bottom of online help)
>>>
>>>         https://octave.sourceforge.io/statistics/function/hist3.html
>>>
>>> But when I run that exact code mine looks like this
>>>
>>>         http://imgur.com/gallery/GBoq6
>>>

>>> When I run it on my data it looks just as bad. I would love to showcase
>>> these 3D bars showing that Octave rivals some of our overpriced BI software
>>> but right now I'm struggling with getting things to look passable
>>>
>>> Would LOVE any help to get this looking okay
>>>
>>> _
>>

>> I tried all 3 graphic_toolkits qt fltk gnuplot  and they all showed the
>> same poor quality plot. :-(
>

> octave 4.2.1 / statistics 1.3.0
> (result is attached)
>
> Dmitri.

Octave 4.2.0 /statistics 1.3.0
OS: Windows 7
Toolkit: qt

My plot looks like Dimitri's.

[...]

Ok, I tried to give you advice, since it might depend on the graphics_toolset and you
did not write which you are using. Anyway, as the others have found out, it looks you are using an outdated
version of octave and /or statistics. I tried to make you clear that to help somebody often more precise information than you have given is necessary.
This information  I could have found out only wit my crystalball.
Thanks for being insulted, I will refrain from trying to help you in the future.

On 2 August 2017 at 13:19, <[hidden email]> wrote:
You will have to show the exact code you were running, then maybe someone can help you.
Maybe the wrong graphics-toolkit. I don't know, my crystal ball is in repair.

Trying to understand why the Octave-Forge Hist3 Example looks like this: (see picture at bottom of online help)

        https://octave.sourceforge.io/statistics/function/hist3.html

But when I run that exact code mine looks like this

        http://imgur.com/gallery/GBoq6

When I run it on my data it looks just as bad. I would love to showcase these 3D bars showing that Octave rivals some of our overpriced BI software but right now I'm struggling with getting things to look passable

Would LOVE any help to get this looking okay

Re: Trying to make a respectable looking Hist3 plot and having big difficulty

NJank
On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Tim Pierce <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ah so you got same as me? Thats interesing.
I should add I'm using a Windows install - this may haev a lot to do with it...

I'm actually not intelligent enough (yet) to understand how to switch between graphics packages, or how to use them - I'm just using default Octave.

I'm using Octave 4.2.1 and statistics 1.3.0 as well. Similar to the above, output looks fine on all three graphics toolkits, gnuplot being a bit less 'clean' than the others, comparison image attached.

Octave (at least on windows) is built with 3 available graphics toolkits: qt (default), gnuplot, and fltk.  you check them and switch between them using the 'graphics_toolkit' command.  So, I produced the attached output with the following:

    1    1
    1    1
    1   10
    1   10
    5    5
    5    5
    5    5
    5    5
    5    5
    7    3
    7    3
    7    3
   10   10
   10   10];

hist3_output.PNG (218K) Download Attachment

Re: Trying to make a respectable looking Hist3 plot and having big difficulty

Tim Pierce
Hi Nicholas  - Thanks Guys - consider closed please

That's great - I didn't think of the packages version (I'm very new to Otave) and when I check I had 1.2.3 like ?Doug?, he upgraded to 1.3.0 and his became like good like yors - so makes total sense it is that
I tried to upgrade to statistics-1.3.0  but then it told me it wanted dependency Octave 4.0.0 and the presentation I needed it for was 3pm so I couldn't risk a new version so close to deadline
But that explains everything so I'm very confident will fix mine too.

Guys - so I'm very new to Octave at all - these 3 different Graphics packages I didn't really grasp,  .... Do they all use different commands or is the interface completely standardised?
I know I've sometimes accidentally been reading GnuPlot documentation and found the commands dont quite work in Octave so I'm guessing Octave has a standard interface it converts into Gnu Plot or something
Is it easy to interact directly with GnuPlot ? I'm guessing it is probably more advanced than Octave for plotting, and that it's target is professonal science publications

Thanks very much.
Tim

On Aug 2, 2017 5:28 PM, "Tim Pierce" <[hidden email]> wrote:
 Do they all use different commands or is the interface completely standardised?

The intent is for all of the same octave commands to work with any of the graphics toolkits, and it should be transparent to the user. In practice there are some output differences from time to time, but you don't need to learn a separate set of commands. I don't know if there is a way to pass the gnuplot commands directly through octave

Nick J